netkas.org forum
June 21, 2018, 03:34:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wrong device ID on R9 280X  (Read 1875 times)
Spacedust

« on: March 06, 2018, 06:23:51 PM »

I got my hands on Gigabyte R9 280X Rev. 2.0 and I was shocked it didn't boot to DOS/Windows, but booted to macOS just fine. I've checked the device ID and it there was 679A which is for R9 280 or HD7950.

It seems so stupid previous owner changed in some way, but how is that possible? How to revert back to 6798?

Flashing with atiflash -p 0 -f romname.rom doesn't help.

I'm 100% sure it's a R9 280X, the box is from R9 280X and the description on the card are from R9 280X.

Windows detects it as HD 7900 series. Cross flashing to R9 280 didn't work.
owbp

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 01:53:46 AM »

What's in the other BIOS position? Factory UEFI rom?
Have you tried unlocking your rom first? Then atiflash -p -f 0 instead of -p 0 -f (just shooting blanks here)?
Gigabyte R9 280X Rev2.0 is a great card, mine died on me but who knows what previous owner(s) have done to it... Btw, it had offset UEFI start, not at the middle of the ROM, and was the first Tahiti card i've tried (out of three total Cheesy ) that could boot into EFI Windows without any error until the AMD drivers got installed.
Spacedust

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 08:16:54 PM »

It has the same rom on both positions.

I tried unlocking the rom and nothing - still holds that stupid Device ID 679A Sad
Rominator

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 05:50:26 AM »

If it looks like a 7950, and quacks like a 7950, guess what?

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Spacedust

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 12:24:30 AM »

I want to dig even more that's why I've ordered some PC parts and we will see how it behaves in normal PC.

Description on the card under the heatsink says: GV-R928XOC-3GD REV 2.0. - it uses Elpida chips, so it must be R9 280X.
SMIKX

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 04:19:18 AM »

Post a pic of the card

Mac Pro 4,1 upped to 5,1 Dual Quad Core 2.93ghz 17Gb 480Gb SSD TRIM enabled.
HIS HD 7950 3Gb 5.0 GT/s EFI on mDP to DVI + DVI to DVI.
10.9.5 - 10.12.6  - 10.6.8 - Win 7 not Bootcamp. 
AREA 2 port USB 3.1 & Inateck USB 3.0 4 port in OS X 10.9.5.
Spacedust

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 12:05:46 AM »

Amazing, I just got my hands on another such card and I was shocked it's another R9 280X but with R9 280 BIOS on it. At least that one works well both with Windows and macOS.

I will post pictures of both cards tomorrow.

Gigabyte is selling fake R9 280X cards or some bad batch?
owbp

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 12:00:22 AM »

Gigabyte is selling fake R9 280X cards or some bad batch?
Have you bought both of the cards form the same guy? Cheesy  Tongue

Tried getting any info on this from Gigabyte or on their forum?

Spacedust

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 09:05:11 PM »

No, one came from some private guy and the other one from normal company selling used hardware.
Spacedust

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 09:26:41 PM »

Photo of the cards - I'm able to return one of them because it's even written R9 280X on the invoice:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 09:28:40 PM by Spacedust » Logged
Spacedust

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 10:32:49 PM »

I brought another one to life by flashing one of three R9 280 roms and it works normally as R9 280. Gigabyte is really a crazy company.
g126

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 11:12:45 PM »

What's in the other BIOS position? Factory UEFI rom?
Have you tried unlocking your rom first? Then atiflash -p -f 0 instead of -p 0 -f (just shooting blanks here)?
Gigabyte R9 280X Rev2.0 is a great card, mine died on me but who knows what previous owner(s) have done to it... Btw, it had offset UEFI start, not at the middle of the ROM, and was the first Tahiti card i've tried (out of three total Cheesy ) that could boot into EFI Windows without any error until the AMD drivers got installed.

Hi! Complete newbie here (but I learn fast).. Got my Gigabyte R9 280X Rev1.0 from MacVidCards and I've recently had the problem above... I have an old bootcamp partition that I originally installed XP I believe, then upgraded to Windows 7, then recently to 10.

I found out the other day you can now install Windows 10 EFI on the MAC so I did... Worked really well until windows (or I) try to install the ATI drivers, then it black screens.

Why is that? Because the Mac EFI is not compatible with the original UEFI that's supposed to be on the card?
owbp

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 01:49:31 AM »

Hi! Complete newbie here (but I learn fast).. Got my Gigabyte R9 280X Rev1.0 from MacVidCards and I've recently had the problem above... I have an old bootcamp partition that I originally installed XP I believe, then upgraded to Windows 7, then recently to 10.

I found out the other day you can now install Windows 10 EFI on the MAC so I did... Worked really well until windows (or I) try to install the ATI drivers, then it black screens.

Why is that? Because the Mac EFI is not compatible with the original UEFI that's supposed to be on the card?
That's the thing you'll have to live with and has to do with how AMD made 7950 EFI. That's just how it is. Every Tahiti GPU with Mac EFI will do the same.

If you're willing to hold onto that card you can switch to factory UEFI (no boot screen, but it will boot into EFI Windows installation and you can use BootChamp to boot into Win) or install Windows through regular, Legacy, BIOS installation (which i prefer and find more stable than (u)EFI on Mac).
g126

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 02:10:55 AM »

That's the thing you'll have to live with and has to do with how AMD made 7950 EFI. That's just how it is. Every Tahiti GPU with Mac EFI will do the same.

If you're willing to hold onto that card you can switch to factory UEFI (no boot screen, but it will boot into EFI Windows installation and you can use BootChamp to boot into Win) or install Windows through regular, Legacy, BIOS installation (which i prefer and find more stable than (u)EFI on Mac).

Thanks for replying... So baking the card (the only solution I've yet to try) won't work then.. heheh.

The card has a BIOS switch. I found that on one position it will use the EFI BIOS and on the other positions (call it position 2) it will use a non-UEFI BIOS (as reported be z GPU).

Would it be possible to keep the MAC EFI bios on position 1 and load the lastest stock UFEI bios on position 2?

What I read seems to indicate that only position 1 is flashable...
Spacedust

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 03:49:10 PM »

So another part of the story - another R9 280X v2 from Gigabyte, resistor R17 removed but still stays on PCI-Express 1.1 (2,5 GT/s) despite GPU-Z shows possible 2.0 (current 1.1 even under load). Without resistor removed it should say 3.0 so it was removed properly.

Really horrible cards.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: