netkas.org forum
July 21, 2017, 09:34:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting windows from gpt  (Read 46331 times)
netkas
Administrator

« on: December 04, 2007, 08:05:51 PM »

to be able to install windows to gpt partition. need to make it hybrid mbr/gpt disk, with utility called gptsync, it will make mbr entries for first three gpt partitions (excluding efi system partition)
gptsync will erase bootloader from mbr. so u need to reinstall boot0.
after installing windows u need to reinstall boot0 again.
Ehsan

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 08:50:37 PM »

So , Will gptsync let us dual boot OSX and  XP (32-bit) on GUID drive , or we will still be restricted in using Vista/XP-64bit for dual boot ?
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 09:11:21 PM »

after gptsync u can install winXP. cause first 3 partitions will be available as mbr partitions.
BladeRunner

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 10:04:14 PM »

What platform does gptsybc need and where can we get it?

Hacintosh:
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz [SSE3/PAE/HTT]
Codename: Prescott Package: Socket 478 mPGA
RAM: 2.0GB Disk: 307.36GB/1.13TB
Display: GeForce FX 5500 [256 MB/QE/Stock] 1600x1200@60Hz
Build: i386 Build Date: Tue Feb 26 21:21:24 SCT 2008
Thrawnhex

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 10:17:53 PM »

Platform: linux, but also compiled for mac os
link: http://rapidshare.com/files/73514966/gptsync.html
aki

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 09:52:58 PM »

Have a problem :

1. I created 3 partitions with diskutility GUID partition table
2. I installed efi v8
3 I go to linux to gptsync /dev/sda

gptsync says MBR doesn't need sync and in fact both lists shows 4 partitions : GUID and MBR (1st is "ee" efi + 3 created with diskutility) there should ne only 3 partitions in MBR according to Netkas.

is there a special order or another command i am missing to create this hybrid right
do I need fdisk ? or another tool ?

I need to install vista / osx / ubuntu on this hd

Thanks for you help.

Aki
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 11:52:45 AM by aki » Logged
l0pht

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 12:20:41 PM »

have you tried iPacifist ? Maybe could iPacifist help us
http://www.charlessoft.com/
l0pht
SEA U
Yotun

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 10:06:40 PM »

Have a problem :

1. I created 3 partitions with diskutility GUID partition table
2. I installed efi v8
3 I go to linux to gptsync /dev/sda

gptsync says MBR doesn't need sync and in fact both lists shows 4 partitions : GUID and MBR (1st is "ee" efi + 3 created with diskutility) there should ne only 3 partitions in MBR according to Netkas.

is there a special order or another command i am missing to create this hybrid right
do I need fdisk ? or another tool ?

I need to install vista / osx / ubuntu on this hd

Thanks for you help.

Aki
DiskUtility in Leopard makes hybrid GPT/MBR partition table, so you even do not need to use gptsync after. And gptsync says that MBR doesn't need to sync Wink because it already synced.
don_regie

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 06:23:19 AM »

The GUID partition will need to be shrunk down, creating free space in which Linux and Windows will reside. Simultaneously, we’ll build the hybrid partition map and create the two partitions for Linux/Windows.

$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: type name size identifier
0: GUID_partition_scheme *200.8 GB disk0
1: EFI 200.0 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 200.6 GB disk0s2

diskutil resizeVolume [disk identifier] [disk size] [partition type] ["Partition label"] [partition size] [partition type] ["Partition label"] [partition size]

Using the above example, say we want to drop the size of the GUID partition by 150GB and create two 25GB partitions (MRB) for Linux and 25GB for Windows. The command will be as follows:

sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 150G "EFS" "Ubuntu Linux" 25G "FAT32" "Windows XP" 25G

Note that the ‘MS-DOS FAT32′ partition type does not infer that FAT32 is required. An NTFS filesystem can be created on this partition.

Disk utiliy can create hybrid partition on command line. Grin
Then we can now install WinXP on Fat32 (can be formated w/ NTFS)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 06:28:51 AM by don_regie » Logged
SMF

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 07:33:44 PM »

So,

Can you confirm that you can boot XP with this setup?  And what are the details?

I've used the diskutil gui to set up partitions like this on a guid drive with pc_efi_v8 installed and the xp installer sees the partitions (HFS and EFI partitions are shown as "unknown") and begins the installation.  When it's done copying files and wants to reboot to perform the actual install it hangs with errors like "missing operating system".... at the end of the bios phase as it transitions to the boot device.

If I install XP to the guid drive with another xp install on another drive (my "c:" drive) it will install and boot through the bootloader of the first install and run fine but I would like a clean install on a single guid drive.....

Thanks,
SMF
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 07:36:25 PM by SMF » Logged
don_regie

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 02:48:57 PM »

So,

Can you confirm that you can boot XP with this setup?  And what are the details?

I've used the diskutil gui to set up partitions like this on a guid drive with pc_efi_v8 installed and the xp installer sees the partitions (HFS and EFI partitions are shown as "unknown") and begins the installation.  When it's done copying files and wants to reboot to perform the actual install it hangs with errors like "missing operating system".... at the end of the bios phase as it transitions to the boot device.

If I install XP to the guid drive with another xp install on another drive (my "c:" drive) it will install and boot through the bootloader of the first install and run fine but I would like a clean install on a single guid drive.....

Thanks,
SMF

You can install Win XP on the "Ms-Dos Fat32" partition (created by diskutil), after XP install, it boot directly @ XP partition (XP install make the "MS Dos Fat32 active).
To boot into "Darwin w/ EFI-Boot", you need to re-do "Boot0 install" (i.e. part of pc_efi installation on GUID)

SMF

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 04:11:51 PM »

Can you tell me exactly how you installed?  I've tried a number of partition configurations - FAT first, FAT last (4th), NTFS first... and have had no luck getting the install to work.

I always get through selecting a partition to install to and it copies all the files over but when it reboots to do the actual install it hangs with errors like "missing operating system"

A detailed list of the steps you followed would be appreciated.

Thanks,
SMF
SMF

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 02:19:44 PM »

So - can anyone confirm they have Windows XP running on a GUID drive?  If so can you post how you did it?

Thanks,
SMF
gotoh

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 04:38:15 PM »

when you reboot, you have to boot from an OS X partition on an other drive, or from an OS X DVD, then reinstall the PC_EFI bootloader (all the 3 stuff, boot0 boot1h and boot_V8) before you can attempt booting Windows or OS X again.
BladeRunner

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 08:19:19 PM »

when you reboot, you have to boot from an OS X partition on an other drive, or from an OS X DVD, then reinstall the PC_EFI bootloader (all the 3 stuff, boot0 boot1h and boot_V8) before you can attempt booting Windows or OS X again.

I have tried this - just as you described. And, just as the other posters said, it failed.  For me, it was always a "b0 error".  I finally went back to Parallesl.  That works and no more hair pulling.

Hacintosh:
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz [SSE3/PAE/HTT]
Codename: Prescott Package: Socket 478 mPGA
RAM: 2.0GB Disk: 307.36GB/1.13TB
Display: GeForce FX 5500 [256 MB/QE/Stock] 1600x1200@60Hz
Build: i386 Build Date: Tue Feb 26 21:21:24 SCT 2008
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: