netkas.org forum
July 23, 2019, 07:31:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting windows from gpt  (Read 59747 times)
BladeRunner
Not Newbie

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 08:19:19 PM »

when you reboot, you have to boot from an OS X partition on an other drive, or from an OS X DVD, then reinstall the PC_EFI bootloader (all the 3 stuff, boot0 boot1h and boot_V8) before you can attempt booting Windows or OS X again.

I have tried this - just as you described. And, just as the other posters said, it failed.  For me, it was always a "b0 error".  I finally went back to Parallesl.  That works and no more hair pulling.

Hacintosh:
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz [SSE3/PAE/HTT]
Codename: Prescott Package: Socket 478 mPGA
RAM: 2.0GB Disk: 307.36GB/1.13TB
Display: GeForce FX 5500 [256 MB/QE/Stock] 1600x1200@60Hz
Build: i386 Build Date: Tue Feb 26 21:21:24 SCT 2008
SMF
Not Newbie

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 02:03:32 PM »

gotoh,

My problem is I can't get XP to finish the installation.  I understand that once I'm done I'll have to replace boot0 since XP should overwrite that during it's install

What happens -
1. Establish partitions & install Leopard with pc_efi (GUID).
2. Confirm it boots
3. Begin XP installation
3a. XP installer sees the partitions - first EFI, and three more (I use one for Leopard - the installer sees the EFI and LEO partitions as "Unknown")
3b. Select partition to install to (I've tried different combinations of not changing the format, formating quick or full FAT or NTFS
3c. Installer copies all the files over (I use a slipstreamed SP2 disk including my network and sata ahci drivers)
4. Installer finishes copying files and reboots the computer to start the windows install
5. Reboot fails with "Missing Operating System" error.

I'm definitely frustrated because I believe it should work.

Any help or advice would be appreciated - I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks,
SMF
gotoh

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 02:22:03 PM »

then you could try to boot from DVD or other disk, use OS X fdisk to flag your windows partition and save, but DO NOT update.
then use GPTsync and reinstall bootloader...
SMF
Not Newbie

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 05:27:15 PM »

gotoh,

I'm not sure I follow you I'm still a newbie as far as OSX is concerned and am feeling my way with trial and error...however my latest step was to just go back to MBR with EFI.  I installed OSX and then tried to install windows and had the same error - "Missing Operating System".  I'm in the process of wiping my target drive and trying a couple of other options such as first partitioning the drive GUID but not installing OSX/EFI and seeing if I can install windows.  I also want to confirm it's not an issue with being on the second SATA port off my ICH9R so I may try the first port or my JMicron....

SMF
bs0d
Not Newbie

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 08:22:21 PM »

I've always found xp/vista likes to be the last partition on the disk.

I have

1 FAT32   EFI System Partition
2 HFS+    Leopard Partition
3 EXT2fs  Ubuntu Partition
4 NTFS    Windows XP Partition

I partitioned the drive using disk utility in osx ( it makes a hybrid guid/mbr disk )
then i installed xp and formatted the partition as NTFS.

i then installed leopard, lastly i added ubuntu.

i use the grub bootloader to select between all 3 os's ( windows was added automagically by the ubuntu installer )

bs0d.

SMF
Not Newbie

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 11:05:20 PM »

bs0d,

Thanks.  I'll keep plugging.  With my drive/ICH9R on the 2nd SATA port it's acting strange.  I've partitioned the drive with a single partition (MBR - with the remainder unpartitioned) under windows and OSX (Leopard) and XP installs with the windows partioning but not the OSX partitioning.  It's inexplicable to me - MBR is MBR.  I'm going to move the drive to my JMicron and other ports on the ICH9R and see if I get different results.  I'll try a 4th partition as well though I've tried that in the past to no success.

SMF
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 03:02:30 AM by SMF » Logged
SMF
Not Newbie

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 03:04:11 AM »

UPDATE: Well I've had some success with installing XP on GUID but before I could really feel like I had the formula I had to RMA my drive.  So I'll be a bit slowed down in my testing.  I did finally get it to install by partitioning and installing OS X then installing XP.  Diskutility creates a synced GPT/MBR.  More testing when my replacement drive arrives.

SMF
gotoh

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 10:25:51 AM »

I think that's the way to go, like here :
http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,88.0.html
kocoman
Not Newbie

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 12:39:05 PM »

It seems Windows XP doesn't let you install to GUID partation?  stating that "this disk does not contain a windows xp compatible partition"
SMF
Not Newbie

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 08:05:47 PM »

You need to format one of the partitions as MS-DOS (FAT) in the OS X diskutility before trying to install windows.  My experience has shown that for some reason (that I'm working to try and understand) Windows XP only works when being installed to the 4th partition.  Other wise the install fails on the first reboot after copying the files.

SMF
MacPaq
Not Newbie

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 01:04:26 AM »

If I understand correctly, in gpt partition, the first logical block (block 0) is MBR, for compatibility, which means Windows MBR or Grub can be installed there. Am I right?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: