netkas.org forum
September 21, 2017, 06:39:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using the "Boot Camp" partition with VMware Fusion  (Read 42484 times)
stephenpjobs2

« on: March 01, 2008, 05:55:58 AM »

I've got a perfectly working dual boot setup with pc_efi v8 OSX 10.5.2 and WinXP SP2.

I can happily switch between them at boot time using the F8 key.

But, when I installed VMware Fusion and tried to use the partition with XP installed on it I get the

"b0 error"

Does anyone know how to fix this?
stephenpjobs2

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:24:25 PM »

bump
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 08:00:23 PM »

u have to attach also hfs+ partition.
SMF

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 08:36:33 PM »

netkas,

Sorry for not understanding but what exactly do you mean by saying "attach also hfs+ partition"?

Thanks,
SMF
Nebuluz

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 07:03:32 PM »

Hi.

Im in the same boat.

I've installed dualboot OSX and XP on same disk (GUID).

Vmware Fusion detect my XP Partition as a Boot camp, but when trying to use it i also get the b0 error.

I have temporary solved this, by downloading Supergrub.iso and tell vmware to use it as cdrom image, then using F2 in vmware to and set bios to boot from cdrom. Then i can use supergrub to startup the XP partition. Works good but i hate the extra hassel.

Link to supergrub iso (only 3mb)
http://forjamari.linex.org/frs/?group_id=61&release_id=499
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 07:07:09 PM by Nebuluz » Logged
stephenpjobs2

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 08:18:38 AM »

As it turns out it's an easy fix:

If you look inside the directory containing your VMware Fusion Virtual Machines you will find a "bundle" called "Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm" (a bundle is really just a directory that the MacOS Finder treats as if it was a single file).

Inside the bundle you will find all the parts that a regular VM does (minus the HD image file), of particular interest for our purposes are the two files: "Boot Camp partition.vmdk" and "Boot Camp partition-pt.vmdk"

If you have a look at the contents of the "Boot Camp partition.vmdk" it will have a section that looks something like:

# Extent description
RW 1 FLAT "Boot Camp partition-pt.vmdk" 0
RW 409639 ZERO
RW 40852520 ZERO
RW 262144 ZERO
RW 15722680 ZERO
RW 262144 ZERO
RW 14794672 FLAT "/dev/disk0s4" 0
RW 40 ZERO

This file simply maps the regions of your virtual harddisk to a regular file, a unix device file, or to nowhere.

A "normal" VM will have one or more mappings that point to the VM's disk image file(s), for example I have a NetBSD VM that looks like:

# Extent description
RW 4192256 SPARSE "NetBSD-s001.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "NetBSD-s002.vmdk"
RW 4096 SPARSE "NetBSD-s003.vmdk"

(you can probably guess from this what happens if you tell VMware not to split your VM's disk image up into multiple files and/or you ask it to pre-allocate the entire disk image on creation)

Our Boot Camp VM file simply maps our WinXP partition to the actual disk parition device ("/dev/disk0s4" in my case), it maps the other partitions to "ZERO" meaning that when we run our Boot Camp OS as a VM it can't access those partitions. The most pertinent part though is the first line that says any access to Block #1 (the MBR) is redirected to the "Boot Camp partition-pt.vmdk" file rather than a real disk.

The upshot is that if you boot your Boot Camp partition as a VM using the CD you originally used to install it (WinXP in my case) and boot into the "Recovery Console" you can issue the commands:

chkdsk /r /f
fixmbr
bootcfg /rebuild

this will update the MBR to the standard windows one but because we are running under VMware the MBR that actually gets modified will be the one in the "Boot Camp partition-pt.vmdk" file not the real one on our hard disk.

Reboot your VM without the WinXP CD and your Boot Camp will run as a VM (then install VMware tools etc.)

If you reboot your Hackintosh (or a real Mac for that matter) it will use the MBR  on the real disk and you will get the PC_EFI boot loader (or GRUB, etc. if you have used that for your Hack)

ps. Sorry for the long-winded description but I thought it might be useful for others to understand what is going on rather that just repeating some magic incantation they found whilst googling.

pps.
SMF: I think what Netkas was saying was that you could setup your Boot Camp VM to see the HFS+ partition of your Hackintosh in addition to the one containing your Boot Camped Windoze.
This look like another way of solving our problem as the "b0 error" is caused by VMware loading the PC_EFI bootloader but not being able to read the next stage bootloader which is inside the HFS+ filesystem's partition.
(Note that VMware gets the PC_EFI bootloader from the "Boot Camp partition-pt.vmdk" file, the contents of this file are initially the same as your real MBR, until of course you modify it using my method above :-).
If your VM can see the HFS+ partition it can then load the next stage in the bootloader which will then show you the PC_EFI boot menu giving you the choice of booting OSX86 or WinXP.
I prefer not to do this as that would mean that anything you run inside the Boot Camp VM could concievably screw with your OSX installation and I don't trust Windoze that much :-P
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 08:43:06 AM by stephenpjobs2 » Logged
abcslayer

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 08:53:36 PM »

Really cool reply. Cheesy

Actually Leopard does not give out the full access to whole disk on boot volume, I just know that when I'm trying to install Windoz on my MB without ever reboot or use optical cd... but Fusion could not change the MBR content.
K.I.S.S.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 01:37:39 AM »

If we have two or more HDs, a Boot Camp partition must be created using Disk Utility on Leopard. Then, install Windows...
VMWare Fusion will recognize that partition without problems.
I've Vista fully working on VMWare or booting with F10 key.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 01:40:45 AM by K.I.S.S. » Logged

Intel D975XBX2 - Q6600 - 2GB DDR2 PC8500 - 7600GT
frantisheq

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 10:12:55 AM »

tried with vista on GUID and it boots but gives BSOD
Edit: the same with xp and if i boot into recovery console from win xp CD it reboots after choosing windows installation to login
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 02:50:13 PM by frantisheq » Logged
frantisheq

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 08:23:31 PM »

ok i have this BSOD problem when i try to boot bootcamp win xp in fusion but i just realized that i installed this XP in SATA AHCI mode but there is IDE HDD in fusion bootcamp VM settings so is there any way to make it AHCI(RAID)?

UPDATE: i was unable to make bootcamp partition work in AHCI mode in fusion so i just installed vista on "bootcamp" partition through vmware (so i didn't have to repair osx bootloader) and then i had to turn off AHCI mode in BIOS or else it will give BSOD. everything works now but i have this little pause when booting osx. no pause in AHCI mode
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 05:27:26 PM by frantisheq » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: