netkas.org forum
October 19, 2018, 11:00:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Change 32-Bit EFI to 64-Bit EFI on 1,1 and 2,1  (Read 10205 times)
BastyJuice
Not Newbie

« on: December 03, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »

Hello people Around,

i ve ben reading this forum a long time and show on the work from netkas with respekt he has done so many good Unbelievable things for the Apple Community. My Question is is it Possible to change the 32-Bit EFI to 64-Bit EFI on a Mac Pro 2.1 or 1.1 ?

Ive my question is stuppid or not okay please delete it.

best regards fom germany and sory for my bad englisch
grammataki
Not Newbie

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 05:23:38 PM »

The answer is simply NO.  You need to change the firmware chip on the motherboard to accomodate the different firmware (some people have done this but its for professionals only).  When the Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1 came out, the new EFI was being develpoed therefore these macpros did not have the appropriate chips to fit the 64bit EFI firmware.  Even with 32bit EFI these macpros can still technically boot 64 bit, its just that apple dont release an update to allow this (netkas and others have shown its possible - and I am actually using my macpro in 64bit mode at the moment with a flashed 5770 Sapphire VaporX OC - but worked ok without flash too).  

So....

You CAN boot into 64bit mode on these MacPros - please check this forum on how to do this, there is a thread specific to this.  And your English is fine  Smiley  Good luck with this and look forward to hearing of your results  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:07:21 AM by grammataki » Logged
BastyJuice
Not Newbie

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 05:38:20 PM »

I wrote this bescause i wont to use a 6870 in a Mac Pro 2.1 with Bootscreen that was my Idea :-) change the EFI change the Startpoint.

What do you mean Professional ?
Bolle

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 06:08:02 PM »

You can boot the 1,1 and 2,1 in 64bit mode using chameleon bootloader. You wont even have to flash your card then to get bootscreen.

*Er meint oben einfach, dass man die Chips umlöten kann, was aber nur was für Leute ist die ganz genau wissen was sie da tun. Wink
Wenn du unbedingt 64 bit Boot brauchst dann kannst du wie gesagt chameleon installieren... da gibts hier nen Thread zu.*
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: