netkas.org forum
July 18, 2019, 02:31:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Got rx560 working in mojave on mp3,1, metal and ogl  (Read 3062 times)
netkas
Administrator

« on: June 02, 2019, 09:50:14 PM »

Details
Since 10.14.5 (or maybe earlier) sse4.2 bits disappearedfrom opengl driver, so I've decided to try to patch metal driver to make it work. ANd it worked!
In fact there is only one sse4.2 instruction used in amd mtl driver - https://www.felixcloutier.com/x86/pcmpgtq

not hard to emulate if you read the specs.

What's needed: patched and resigned ( with ldid) mtl driver and Kext to disable library signature validation ( not sure if needed, used it anyway)

only 10.14.5 , http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=07139641528525887295 - the mtl driver, download unpack  chmod&chown, and install to /System/Library/Extensions/AMDMTLBronzeDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AMDMTLBronzeDriver

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=71892869756912266512 - 3rd party kext to disable library validation, download, unpack, chmod&chown, install to /System/Library/Extensions/

you can create pkgs/patchers, etc. just dont forget to credit.

SOmeone better understand how it's done, i'm not going to support it forever.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 02:23:27 PM by netkas » Logged
LightBulbFun
Not Newbie

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 01:21:27 AM »

very cool finds!

I sadly dont own the hardware to test this out myself, but its very cool to see Smiley

does this would also work for all other AMD cards that mojave support like the AMD Radeon HD 7950 RX 580, Vega etc?
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 07:24:14 AM »

it seems the kext is not needed afterI ldid resigned the library. So it's just one file.

btw, if anyone wonders why there is two push rax and two pop rax around the emulator, it's to save rax and keep the stack 16-bytes alligned for sse to work properly
lastExile
Global Moderator
Not Newbie

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 04:45:18 PM »

very nice Cheesy

Report all spam and i will take care of it
DarthnVader
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 06:54:06 PM »

Good work netkas, now I can take advantage of my 3,1 and RX580.

BTW, the 3,1 supports GOP boot screens, tho the 5,1 doesn't, I've never been able to figure why. Tho the 5,1 can load and link the GOP driver, and can communicate with a display connected, sadly we never get boot screens.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/boot-menus-for-graphics-output-protocol.2089181/page-9#post-26848085">Boot menus for graphics output protocol.
Hudson

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 02:11:29 PM »

Im sorry Nektas, but what do you mean by "chmod&chown" ?  I know its something with Terminal but no more
Thx for help !
Hudson

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 07:57:49 PM »

I heard your hack was now included in the dosdude’s mojave patcher.
So I installed it in my 2008 Mac Pro using the original ATI Radeon card and tried to boot with my new RX 560 4GB but it seems not working, I have a black boot screen with a lonely cursor, what is wrong, plz can you help me? Cry
Could you give me your video card model/ref also ?

Thx
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:13:56 AM by Hudson » Logged
StormLord

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 11:11:02 PM »

on the same boat...
driver does not seem to work with my 7970, installed it via dosdude1 patcher, but I can have a display only if I install legacy video patch and the sse4.1 patch look like not installed on the patch updater
Ludacrisvp
Not Newbie

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 11:38:13 PM »

Im sorry Nektas, but what do you mean by "chmod&chown" ?  I know its something with Terminal but no more
Those are commands for changing posix 'mode bits' aka permissions and file ownership.
In general they need to be owned by root:wheel / 0:0 and permissions of 755 / rwxr-xr-x
You might want to head over to MacRumors forum for help instead.
...tried to boot with my new RX 560 4GB but it seems not working, I have a black boot screen with a lonely cursor, what is wrong, plz can you help me? Cry
It has been determined to be an issue related to codesign from what I understand.
There is a kext that can disable library validation that will allow it to work, else it would seem if you sign the binary using ldid (installable via brew) that you can get it working without needing the extra kext.

driver does not seem to work with my 7970, installed it via dosdude1 patcher, but I can have a display only if I install legacy video patch and the sse4.1 patch look like not installed on the patch updater
I'm sure your issue is also related to the codesign issue ... much more user-friendly / active discussion around this on the macrumors forum.
You both could try the library validation bypass kext, or the ldid codesign method and probably get the cards working.

I'm able to use my PowerColor RedDevil RX 580 8Gb and Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4Gb using the patch from netkas (eventually it was via the dosdude patcher and the extra kext, i've not tried to change over to the ldid method even though i've installed it via brew)
StormLord

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 04:29:55 PM »

Thanks for the help Ludacrisvp
But I installed disabledlibraryvalidation.kext and system profiler shows it is loaded,
also I installed home brew and ldid and I ldid -S  the mtlbronzedriver
I checked the status of chmod with stat command and got 755 so it should be ok?
but in system profiler nothing from AMD is loaded except AMDsupport, and the UI is jerky.
I include 2 pictures to show the status

Don't mind the ldid error, after that, I signed it on the desktop and then copy it to the bundle

p.s I have opened a thread at MacRumors forum but there is no answer by anyone, so I've find it more helpful here Smiley

* Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 18.16.02.png (180.43 KB, 773x636 - viewed 99 times.)

* Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 18.18.47.png (61.33 KB, 690x379 - viewed 108 times.)
Svenis
Not Newbie

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 10:21:41 AM »

I use a utility called BatChmod.
http://www.lagentesoft.com/batchmod/

The parameters "root:wheel" and "rwxr-xr-x" are self-explanatory. However, I am unsure what the parameters "
0:0 and permissions of 755" are refering to, and how to set them in the utility. Any help would be appreciated.

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 05:17:20 AM »

I heard your hack was now included in the dosdude’s mojave patcher.
So I installed it in my 2008 Mac Pro using the original ATI Radeon card and tried to boot with my new RX 560 4GB but it seems not working, I have a black boot screen with a lonely cursor, what is wrong, plz can you help me? Cry

Thx

I have the same problem (Mac Pro 3,1 and RX580, I tried 2 models 4gb MSI and 8gb PowerColor), I first installed the Mojave Patcher by Dosdude and clicked the "SSE4.1 Metal support" patch, and I get an black screen with the cursor in it.

I also made a clean install, installed the "disable disable library validation" kext and the mtl driver and I get the same result (I installed the kext and the .bundle with kextbeast) I also installed manually the files with the hard disk in another Mac, and then cache rebuild.

I don't know what else to do. Anybody knows?
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 01:55:54 PM »

There is one trick

boot with one display connected, then connected second display (or reconnect first diaply into different output port), seems to be an issue with boot port

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 06:15:25 PM »

There is one trick

boot with one display connected, then connected second display (or reconnect first diaply into different output port), seems to be an issue with boot port

Thanks for the quick answer but I had no luck Sad the same thing keep happens.
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 11:24:12 AM »

does it boots with -x option (so called safe mode)? can be achieved on macpro holding shift-key during boot
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: