netkas.org forum
November 15, 2018, 01:44:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Swapped Mac logic board. How do I change serial number?  (Read 1008 times)
AStuff
Not Newbie

« on: September 01, 2018, 11:02:17 PM »

I have a 2009 Mac Pro that I swapped out a used logic board from eBay and now would like it to match the number on the case.  All of the posts mention Apple Serializer Software but that needs to run on a blank board.  This board already has a serial number. 

Any ideas?

Thanks.
overshoot
Not Newbie

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 04:12:16 AM »

Yes, there is a ROM chip on the mainboard, it has 8 legs, which needs to be re-programmed.

You can see the chip here: http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/amiphoenix/media/cGF0aDovbWFjX2NoaXBfc29sZGVyZWRfenBzYjFjYzk3ZjMuanBn/?ref=

Once you get the chip out you will need a EPROM programmer and some knowledge on how to re-program it. (you can also use some clip on the chip but I personally don't like them)
Changing the serial number is as easy as reading the program, editing the serial number where you find it in the dump and write back the bios.

Good luck!
lowrider

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 04:21:03 AM »

^^^^Could the OP also just swap the chip from his original board to the newer one?

Lou
Bunga-Bunga

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 11:30:34 AM »

Yes, possible if the ROM isn't corrupted.

I found a thread on macrumors, where bios-mos is described and also how to find the nvram- and board-specific-sections and transfer it to a blank rom:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mp5-1-new-bootrom-138-0-0-0-0-on-mojave-dp7-pb6.2132317/page-18#post-26369220
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mp5-1-new-bootrom-138-0-0-0-0-on-mojave-dp7-pb6.2132317/page-25#post-26385937

Necessary for hands-on, iCloud,....
h9826790

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 09:00:09 PM »

I have a 2009 Mac Pro that I swapped out a used logic board from eBay and now would like it to match the number on the case.  All of the posts mention Apple Serializer Software but that needs to run on a blank board.  This board already has a serial number.  

Any ideas?

Thanks.

The ROM image file stored in the OS full installer is actually "clean" (no serial number in there).

If you want a make your "new" logic board become a blank board, all you need to do is just flash that clean ROM into your logic board. Then the serial number will be missing.

Of course, dump your current ROM first, check its size, make a few backup, before your "re-initialise" your logic board.

Anyway, I believe the easier route is dump your current ROM, mod the serial number, and flash it back.

All you need is just ROMTool and a Hex editor, should be easier than re-initialise the logic board and then use Apple Serializer to fix it.

However, the logic board build date, Base_XX, Hardware Code, etc may not match your original logic board. AFAIK, it shouldn't cause any trouble, but just it still won't be 100% your original logic board's info.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 09:04:12 PM by h9826790 » Logged
Bunga-Bunga

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 10:23:06 PM »

You will get problems with hands-off-function when you leave the values empty. The Apple Serializer is only able to program serial number.
epromer
Not Newbie

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 12:07:26 AM »

I have a 2009 Mac Pro that I swapped out a used logic board from eBay and now would like it to match the number on the case.  All of the posts mention Apple Serializer Software but that needs to run on a blank board.  This board already has a serial number.  

Any ideas?

Thanks.

You need to change at least the SSN/HWC/SON to the same as your case/old logic board or you will loose iMessage.

• SSN you have on the grey/white label.
  • HWC for a 2009 or a 2010 are the last 3 digits of the SSN (4 for mid-2012).
  • SON it's trickier, but you can try with your Mac Pro #number (MB871LL/A and MB535LL/A) You'll have to account for localisation changes used in your country, like MB535BZ/A here in Brazil. Apple did not use the A after the slash and they usually add a letter before the #number: Example MB535BZ/A = RMB535BZ/

If you don't know how to do that, PM me on MacRumors (tsialex there) I'll help you.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 03:05:54 AM by epromer » Logged
epromer
Not Newbie

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 12:10:48 AM »

Any ideas?

Thanks.

The ROM image file stored in the OS full installer is actually "clean" (no serial number in there).

If you want a make your "new" logic board become a blank board, all you need to do is just flash that clean ROM into your logic board. Then the serial number will be missing.

That will not work. LOCKED.FD files don't have the NVRAM or the LBSN_BD sector, it'll boot but you will loose the hardware descriptor, HWC, SON, LBSN and BD. BBS will only insert SSN.

Apple will reject every login of your Mac Pro.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 12:17:40 AM by epromer » Logged
h9826790

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 02:13:36 AM »

Thanks for the correction.

I should make that more clear. It will be clean, but "way too clean". And it will cause more trouble but only fix that S/N which is basically cosmetic.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

That will not work. LOCKED.FD files don't have the NVRAM or the LBSN_BD sector, it'll boot but you will loose the hardware descriptor, HWC, SON, LBSN and BD. BBS will only insert SSN.

Apple will reject every login of your Mac Pro.
AStuff
Not Newbie

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 04:19:08 AM »

You need to change at least the SSN/HWC/SON to the same as your case/old logic board or you will loose iMessage.

• SSN you have on the grey/white label.
  • HWC for a 2009 or a 2010 are the last 3 digits of the SSN (4 for mid-2012).
  • SON it's trickier, but you can try with your Mac Pro #number (MB871LL/A and MB535LL/A) You'll have to account for localisation changes used in your country, like MB535BZ/A here in Brazil. Apple did not use the A after the slash and they usually add a letter before the #number: Example MB535BZ/A = RMB535BZ/

If you don't know how to do that, PM me on MacRumors (tsialex there) I'll help you.

Can I update only the SSN and leave everything else the same from what info the replacement logic board provided?  Figure the logic board SN should be correct.  I just want the About This Mac to match the case and can re-load MacOS from scratch - would iMessage still fail?

Thanks for the info so far.
epromer
Not Newbie

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 09:40:33 PM »

No, you have to change SSN/HWC and SON. Apple validates it for iMessage.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: