netkas.org forum
September 26, 2018, 12:46:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: iMac Holy Grail achieved ! Boot screens on 780m in 2011 iMac 27".  (Read 7547 times)
Spacedust

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2018, 01:24:00 PM »

Never work with mac-factory, these Germans (or even Greeks?) are going to steal everything they can.
overshoot
Not Newbie

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2018, 03:54:36 PM »

Thank you!

By the way, I own a Mac repair shop and I am willing to find a replacement card which works fine in OSX to replace the 27" and 21" cards from the 2011 iMacs.
I need to get a ROM for a card with a decent price like the GTX660M (100USD) or something equivalent.

Since I would need 15-20 cards in stock for the upcoming dying iMacs, I am ready to pay a good price to someone who could solve the EFI+Brightness issue on this card.
I would also give my word (and my business card so you can ruin my business with bad reviews if I fail) to not share your work with others.

If anyone interested please contact me.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 04:19:32 PM by overshoot » Logged
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2018, 07:12:16 AM »

Removed some complete offtopic.
Rominator

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2018, 01:28:27 AM »

So I got the 27" fired up again, updated to 10.13.6.

I tried to fire up Netflix. Got a "HDP not supported" message.

Same with Amazon Prime Video.

So, it seems that the display is "external" as far as iMac is concerned.

Another thing to fix.

Anyone following this with an iMac and knowledge of DCB tables?

I am not going to have time anytime soon to finish this rom, but if I had someone to work with...

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
moopha

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2018, 08:17:09 AM »

Anyone following this with an iMac and knowledge of DCB tables?

I am having iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) with a freshly-upgraded GTX 780M
DCB tables (if you may provide additional info) are easy for me to dump and to work with

How can I help?

* info-GTX-780M.png (135.17 KB, 863x632 - viewed 131 times.)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 08:22:36 AM by moopha » Logged
highvoltage12v
Not Newbie

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2018, 11:04:23 PM »

I never dumped the rom/can't boot windows to dump rom to look at DCB tables. I found this post from a few years ago from Fl0r!an where editing the DCB table on the GTX 660m allowed the display to be viewed as internal. http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,11598.msg33667.html#msg33667. Not sure if this is useful at all since it's a totally different card, but it was a good read.

Rominator

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2018, 11:02:58 PM »

yes, Florian was doing good work with him.

But he lacked experience  with Kepler and Fermi roms.

Biggest single issue is that Windows lets driver choose things that OSX expects to be assigned by EFI/BIOS.

The main offender is the "Head" value. Windows uses "F" (15) while OSX needs this value assigned is a rational way.

Comparing Mac 680 and PC 680 and Mac Quadro 5K vs PC Quadro 5K tells you what you need to know. The answer has been sitting there in front of everyone for years, nobody else bothered to logic through it.

It is literally all right there.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
moopha

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2018, 02:19:05 PM »

Still, no luck there?
FlorisVN

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2018, 05:35:54 PM »

Great work so far !

Our AMD 6970's in our 27" 2011 iMac's are also about to die soon..  Sad Sad

We need some new GPU's, I'm thinking of upgrading to a Nvidia GTX765M or a GTX780M.

How is the progress going so far.. ?

I had a good idea for testing, maybay its an idea to modify an eeprom clip and hang the cables outside the imac, trough ventilation holes,
This way maybay it's possible, to mount the geforce like normal, and have acces to the eeprom outside the iMac, with eeprom cables from an modified eeprom clipper.
This way you can test and modify roms, withouth having to take out the card every time...

Would't this be a great idea.. ?

It also looks like there are MXM to full PCI-Express adapters on the market..
Maybay this can also be handy for testing roms... ?
To put them in a MacPro or Xserve for example, and test them with their PCi-Express slot.. ?

See this link : https://www.notebookcheck.net/Eurocom-MXM3-Riser-Cards-will-power-your-desktop-with-a-laptop-GPU.241042.0.html
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:40:08 PM by FlorisVN » Logged
FlorisVN

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2018, 05:49:21 PM »

So don't know if I mentioned, but the 2011 iMac that came with 6970 has a really big heatsink with I think 3 pipes, there is another version that is smaller . The guy in the 765 thread  has a smaller one IIRC.

In any case, to fit the 780M, or in fact many of the Nvidia MXM cards you need to create some clearance for two large inductors. Here shown with "R22" on them. If you don't make room, the card won't sit flat and the die won't contact the milled surface. That could quickly kill the card. So it is very important to test your MXM card to be sure it will make solid contact.

Would most folks savvy enough to get the iMac that far apart be able to bust out a drill and do this? Or would it be better to offer some sort of "trade  in your heatsink" type deal where I swap them out with a modded one ready to go?

Have a look at the comparison of 680 4GB to the 6970 1GB I removed from machine. The 680 and 780 have nearly identical layout, note the tall inductors where the AMD card has nothing that high, this is why you need to grind down some metal.

Next I'll touch on the X bracket on back of card. I discovered the hard way that wrong one can short back of Nvidia card, meaning you put the damned thing together just to take it back apart.

BTW, does anyone remember which thread had the pix with the iMac that had a giant hole cut in the back so they could swap GPUs easily? I laughed at the fervor before, now I'm checking my Dewalt to see if I have a metal blade.

It is not fun to work on like a cMP is. Everything is absurdly tiny and fragile, Of the 3 I have taken apart in last couple weeks, 2 had various screen connectors ripped out of the boards. There are 4 of them, 3 are made of pixie hairs, single strands. You have to raise an edge, hold it, then get other hand inside to undo the 4 DIFFERENT clasps. One is 2mm thick and has an elaborate jewelry like thingie that really needs 2 hands.

I have no doubt they made this really un-fun to work on on purpose. From 2010 to 2011 they made one of the screen plugs 1/8 the former size, and a gazillion times more delicate. They want you to rip it out of the logic board. This isn't a MacBook Air, there is plenty of space for robust connectors. If you take your time and follow the iFixit guides TO THE LETTER you will be OK. Most critical moment is getting screen off, rest pretty OK.

Check out this video, he modded an 2011 iMac, to easy test an mxm card in it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnBCvZKFEps

maybay contact the guy.. ??
overshoot
Not Newbie

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2018, 12:43:40 PM »

Contact the guy for what?
He is an artist when it comes to cut into the case but he is not a Rominator or Florian.

Plus I recall he is part of this forum board cause I am pretty sure I remember someone posting a picture like that on a different thread.

@Rominator

With the arrival of Mojave and the fact that I have plenty of customers willing to throw their 27" iMac 2011 for a new iMac, I can tell you, I am already a buyer for your next mxm card build.
I just bought a GTX 770 from your website for my office MacPro by the way.
Rominator

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2018, 06:44:53 AM »

hey, Mojave is here. i'll be installing on the 27" soon

Did someone make progress on the brightness control?

i'm going to try to take another crack at this rom.

moopha

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2018, 10:56:06 AM »

hey, Mojave is here. i'll be installing on the 27" soon

Did someone make progress on the brightness control?

i'm going to try to take another crack at this rom.

The whole world is expecting you to do a miracle, c'mon
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: