netkas.org forum
September 19, 2018, 06:57:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No issue with 3,1 and HS and Nvidia cards, problem is AMD patching.  (Read 1259 times)
Rominator

« on: June 17, 2018, 12:18:34 AM »

Saw this thread and can't respond.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/gtx-750ti-high-sierra-10-13-4-mac-pro-2008-graphics-problems.2113393/

Lots of people talking, pretty few of them know...the answer. Actually none.

The dosdude tool does very useful stuff to get antiques running newer OS's. The "recommended" patches for 3,1 Mac Pro replace a few pieces of AMD drivers and a GPU framework, IIRC. What is not clearly mentioned is that running the patch breaks Nvidia drivers. As in wrecks them. They run like EFI drivers at that point.And just reinstalling them a gazillion times won't fix it.

I tried to undo this patch on my X-Serve and found myself vexed. The patcher itself only gives a partial list of what gets modded. In point of fact, newer AMD drivers are apparently;y written for Nehalem or newer CPUs only. So to get 3,1 creakily through doorway he discovered that using pieces of older drivers worked.

But only way I undid it was to compare kexts and frameworks with real install with no patches on newer machine. Would be nice if there was either an uninstaller or a definitive list of the kexts and frameworks replaced.

Anyhow, I'll go toss a 750Ti in my 3,1 and see what I get. Pretty sure it will be fine.

When you install this patch on 3,1 this set of patches comes up as recommended. So it is easy for folks to install by accident.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 06:54:36 PM »

980, 750ti works fine on 10.13.5 on cmp3,1
however 10.14 is different story

kernel panic on boot and not related to graphics drivers.
it seems to me 10.13.6 will be last os for 3,1, however it will be receiving security patches for another 2 years, which is fine.
mghamms
Not Newbie

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 07:34:02 PM »

I think when apple comes out with the new 7,1 next year we will see the 3,1 4,1and 5,1 on the unsupported list so they have more demand for 7,1. Just what apple has always done.
I have a 5 year old iPad that hasn't been supported in over a year now.
My days with Apple are about to come to an end if they keep it up.
My iPhone 5s power is a little wonky since the last "upgrade".
6 and my up were affected under a fcc ruling so they do not have that problem.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 07:41:07 PM by mghamms » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 11:19:51 AM »

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-3-1-and-vega-fe-10-13-4.2121393/

Different thread, same cause

He needs to make this more clear in his pages. This is multiple people all confused by lack of info.

3,1 doesn't support real AMD drivers for HS per his pages, so he uses Sierra drivers and Frameworks.

Breaks Nvidia GPUs, breaks newer AMD GPUs.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 11:32:16 AM »

btw, mojave beta 2 seems to support macpro 5,1 now
Rominator

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 08:47:13 PM »

Grr...

Just got this email:

Hi there,

I’m hoping you can help me try to solve an issue.

I’ve just had delivered one of your GTX960 2GB flashed cards via MacVidCards Europe - all installed as per your step by step guide, to replace my Radeon 5770 card. I’m running a Mac Pro 3,1 with High Sierra 10.13.5 installed using the High Sierra Patcher tool created by dosdude1 (I’m assuming you’re aware of this already!) In the past all worked smoothly with my old card apart from some (known, according to the forums) wake from sleep issues, and a red login screen background. I also have your WiFi/Bluetooth card upgrade which has performed flawlessly for many years.

The Mac boots up pretty normally with the GTX960 but shows the brief EFI text before Apple logo and then still shows me the red login window background, but has horizontal lines cascading and some other black lines/boxes appearing, and the same visual artefacts once logged in, as if graphics acceleration is turned off.

Before swapping over the cards I had already installed the NVIDIA 10.13.5 web driver and latest CUDA driver from your FAQ links and it shows that they’re installed, I can see the NVIDIA driver is selected in System Preferences. I’ve tried restarting the Mac a number of times and I’ve also tried resetting NVRAM (which I wouldn’t normally do often in this setup as it can mess up the boot process with the patch, meaning I have to re-patch it again) but it still seems to have un-accelerated graphics.

I appreciate I’m running a patched OS but I was led to believe that these cards and drivers actually worked pretty smoothly using the High Sierra patched OS… and I wondered if I’ve missed anything. I’ve read through many of your previous blogs and all the FAQ guides, plus I’ve been searching the unsupported Macs threads to see if I’ve missed any steps or other logical troubleshooting ideas.

Can you point me in the right direction? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Concerned Soul

I can't post at MR, please someone PM dosdude1 and ask him to clarify the Nvidia destroying effects of his 3,1 AMD patch? Since it is chosen as default when they run the patcher tool, this is the result. There should be a dialog saying "If you run this, no Nvidia card will ever work again until you revert XYZ"

It would be awesome if he created an uninstaller. Or at the very least created a COMPLETE list of what is changed so that people can revert without a full reinstall.

PLease?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:51:24 PM by Rominator » Logged

LightBulbFun
Not Newbie

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 10:12:49 PM »

He does have an AMD patch un-installer FYI   Smiley (also his High sierra patcher tool only installs the AMD patch if a MP3,1/XS2,1 AND AMD/ATI video card are detected at install time)

http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/amdgpupatchuninst10.13.4.sh.zip
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:14:31 PM by LightBulbFun » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 10:50:37 AM »

Glad he made an uninstaller.

I could not locate one when I had the issue.

Hopefully he gets a chance to make the list of replaced kexts complete. Currently more get replaced than are listed.

Spacedust

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 12:09:58 AM »

At least he didn't blame our card for this as each one of them is tested prior shipping ;-)
Rominator

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 04:52:56 PM »

It is not always easy to imagine all the ways someone might use something you create. He gave people a way to keep using AMD cards after Apple/AMDkilled 3,1 drivers.

He did not anticipate that some folks way wish to then try an Nvidia card. It sounds like he has cleared that up. It’s the old “do no harm” thing.

Pressure
Not Newbie

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 01:19:15 PM »

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-3-1-and-vega-fe-10-13-4.2121393/

Different thread, same cause

He needs to make this more clear in his pages. This is multiple people all confused by lack of info.

3,1 doesn't support real AMD drivers for HS per his pages, so he uses Sierra drivers and Frameworks.

Breaks Nvidia GPUs, breaks newer AMD GPUs.

That's my system and it refuses to boot with the VEGA FE installed (well, Windows works). The real issue being that High Sierra drivers require SSE4.2, which Penryn / Harpertown does not support.
Rominator

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 10:26:35 PM »

Yes, the AMD cards require SSE4.2 but the Nvidia ones don't.

So the issue was that people installed the AMD "fix" and it borked any and all Nvidia drivers.

And doing a re-install fo Web Driver would not fix. The page he had didn't list all modded files and there wasn't an uninstaller.  So for the uninitiated, the only fix was a complete OS reinstall, being SURE not to run the AMD legacy "fixer".

Dosdude now apparently has built an uninstaller

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: