netkas.org forum
June 23, 2018, 07:07:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No issue with 3,1 and HS and Nvidia cards, problem is AMD patching.  (Read 243 times)
Rominator

« on: June 17, 2018, 12:18:34 AM »

Saw this thread and can't respond.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/gtx-750ti-high-sierra-10-13-4-mac-pro-2008-graphics-problems.2113393/

Lots of people talking, pretty few of them know...the answer. Actually none.

The dosdude tool does very useful stuff to get antiques running newer OS's. The "recommended" patches for 3,1 Mac Pro replace a few pieces of AMD drivers and a GPU framework, IIRC. What is not clearly mentioned is that running the patch breaks Nvidia drivers. As in wrecks them. They run like EFI drivers at that point.And just reinstalling them a gazillion times won't fix it.

I tried to undo this patch on my X-Serve and found myself vexed. The patcher itself only gives a partial list of what gets modded. In point of fact, newer AMD drivers are apparently;y written for Nehalem or newer CPUs only. So to get 3,1 creakily through doorway he discovered that using pieces of older drivers worked.

But only way I undid it was to compare kexts and frameworks with real install with no patches on newer machine. Would be nice if there was either an uninstaller or a definitive list of the kexts and frameworks replaced.

Anyhow, I'll go toss a 750Ti in my 3,1 and see what I get. Pretty sure it will be fine.

When you install this patch on 3,1 this set of patches comes up as recommended. So it is easy for folks to install by accident.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 06:54:36 PM »

980, 750ti works fine on 10.13.5 on cmp3,1
however 10.14 is different story

kernel panic on boot and not related to graphics drivers.
it seems to me 10.13.6 will be last os for 3,1, however it will be receiving security patches for another 2 years, which is fine.
mghamms

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 07:34:02 PM »

I think when apple comes out with the new 7,1 next year we will see the 3,1 4,1and 5,1 on the unsupported list so they have more demand for 7,1. Just what apple has always done.
I have a 5 year old iPad that hasn't been supported in over a year now.
My days with Apple are about to come to an end if they keep it up.
My iPhone 5s power is a little wonky since the last "upgrade".
6 and my up were affected under a fcc ruling so they do not have that problem.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 07:41:07 PM by mghamms » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 11:19:51 AM »

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-3-1-and-vega-fe-10-13-4.2121393/

Different thread, same cause

He needs to make this more clear in his pages. This is multiple people all confused by lack of info.

3,1 doesn't support real AMD drivers for HS per his pages, so he uses Sierra drivers and Frameworks.

Breaks Nvidia GPUs, breaks newer AMD GPUs.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 11:32:16 AM »

btw, mojave beta 2 seems to support macpro 5,1 now
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: