netkas.org forum
August 16, 2018, 07:23:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Pro 3,1 and the new paths forward via EFI Bootrom  (Read 729 times)
Rominator

« on: June 12, 2018, 06:28:28 PM »

So, I shook off the cobwebs and dug out a 3,1 last night.

The NVME fix is now so easy a young toddler could knock it out, and never drop binky from other hand.

Updated microcode for these?

The big question now is APFS.

Has anyone added this to 3,1 or X-Serve yet? Found an APFS driver, used the DXEInject thing but no magic.

But it didn't put there driver were it goes in a 4,1, in a PE32 image.

Also, I'm having an issue with Windows, will try new install but currently my 4,1 will NOT boot into Windows with modified boot rom. But that will be another thread.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Ludacrisvp
Not Newbie

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 07:27:28 PM »

I'm not aware of anyone having APFS booting 3,1 ... but this topic does interest me.
I've also not seen anything newer than this for the 3,1:
  Boot ROM Version:   MP31.006C.B05

Seeing the NVME addition being so simple it is now very tempting to me to go NVME instead of SATA3 add-in card to SSD which boots most of the time or the 4 slot mSATA add-in card which also boots most of the time, but have much slower r/w rates vs nvme.

I'd love to see native APFS+NVME booting from MP3,1.
What else could we add here?
Rominator

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 09:17:21 PM »

Done the APFS thing.

No real advantage I saw, just meant 3,1 got the tedious text that 4,1 has suffered with since HS came out.

Also, the Windows issue is not resolved, that I know of.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
jabbawok

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 08:59:35 PM »

The NVME fix is now so easy a young toddler could knock it out, and never drop binky from other hand.

Sorry for double posting, but can you pint me in the direction of some info on this please..
Thanks..

MacPro 1,1 updated to 2,1 - Two 2.33 quad core E5345 Xeons - apple HD5770 - 6GB ram - 256GB SSD
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 05:15:27 PM »

So, cmp3,1
patched to include apfs.efi driver into firmware

high sierra 10.13.5 on hfs+

took out disk, put it into usb3.0 to sata adapter, connected to mbp2015

converted hfs+ to apfs,
Added preboot partition to apfs container ( https://www.belightsoft.com/products/resources/apfs-bootable-clone-with-command-line ) and VM partition.
updated os to 10.13.6, this added Recovery partition to apfs container as well

put ssd back into cmp3,1
macosx boots find on apfs and is updated.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 09:07:11 PM by netkas » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: