netkas.org forum
October 21, 2017, 05:47:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: High Sierra and Web Driver & eGPU FULL SUCCESS !!!! Working great !  (Read 2676 times)
Rominator

« on: October 07, 2017, 02:34:14 AM »

Anyone got it working yet?

Netkas spent 5 minutes, sent me an idea, and BINGO !

Nvidia eGPU in High Sierra

Screen shots coming.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:31:41 AM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Rominator

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 12:14:45 PM »

Nice we did it first again, huh?

* tb-slot.jpg (131.82 KB, 937x634 - viewed 348 times.)

* wide2.jpg (59.75 KB, 663x408 - viewed 279 times.)

* valley.jpg (56.14 KB, 699x523 - viewed 213 times.)

* CUDAZ.jpg (93.2 KB, 669x586 - viewed 203 times.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:48:39 PM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Rominator

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 01:52:33 PM »

Held "option", choose Win 10 from the EFI bootscreen on the Titan-Xp's DisplayPort

Went right into an unmodded Win 10

3D Mark Timespy of 8564, nearly 3 times what VR needs.

91st Percentile, not bad for an old bird (no, I don't mean me)

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/22584910?

* Capture.JPG (27.62 KB, 784x241 - viewed 64 times.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:52:08 AM by Rominator » Logged

Spacedust

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 05:33:19 PM »

Great work. Finally we have a successor to the good old Mac Pro 5,1. Does it work only with MVC EFI cards?
Arch Stanton

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 06:23:10 PM »

Congratulations, this is well wicked!  A shame I discover the news here then have to search out Rastafabi's announcement elsewhere.

To anyone else in the same boat, feel free to contact the mods elsewhere to consider reinstating MVC.  I certainly have.

These discoveries may just seem like blips on the radar of computer history, but I believe eGPU is the stepping stone to heralding a new era of "home-brew" discovery and innovation.  So many bright people with so much available computational power are bound to discover some wonderful things.

This stuff needs to be spread far and wide so folks can take advantage of it.

Rominator

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 07:42:14 PM »

Congratulations, this is well wicked!  A shame I discover the news here then have to search out Rastafabi's announcement elsewhere.

Thanks ! Always a joy to be first to demonstrate something as working.

What and where did Rastafabi announce? The prevailing "wisdom" elsewhere is that Nvidia eGPU in HS is impossible.

Happy to prove otherwise. When people think something is impossible they close their minds and stop trying. This is the danger of false prophets spewing opinions as if they were facts. They don't actually KNOW.

A guy gives you a little water, then tells you he can find water. You follow him out into the desert, he can't find any more water. A false prophet who got the first water out of someone else's well.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:32:15 AM by Rominator » Logged

muellmaa

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 06:24:35 AM »

great work! thinking about buying a nMP 6.1 now... but only if you share how it's done :-)
would it work with a mvc (maxwell) Titan?
mysticalos

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 07:14:25 AM »

EH, a 6,1 is still such a huge cash drop for an outdated gpu, and only TB2 (not 3).

I see this as great for people who already own one and want to make it good again. But if you don't own one, you can get far more beast of machine for same money just building a great PC and hackintoshing it. My two cents. Smiley
Rominator

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 08:06:46 AM »

Yes, it's more of a puzzle. Fun to figure out.

And considering that some people paid as much as $10K for these things. (still are for sale actually) there must be some for whom another $1K for an eGPU isn't much more.

muellmaa

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »

A puzzle without all the individual parts is not doable - and ton't tell me you need a nmp 6.1, a egpu case and a mvc card :-) A tutorial or atleast some hints would be nice!
Spacedust

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 08:59:37 AM »

So can you clarify what's needed to get such setup working?

- MVC flashed card (the same as for Mac Pro 5,1 or some special EFI version?)
- some TB case e.g. Sonnet (it was seen on your demo in UCLA)
- Mac Pro 6,1

That would make even more sales of MVC flashed cards and that's a great thing. You can even sell whole working setups with upgraded CPU's, RAM etc.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:47:30 AM by Spacedust » Logged
Arch Stanton

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 07:44:26 PM »

Congratulations, this is well wicked!  A shame I discover the news here then have to search out Rastafabi's announcement elsewhere.

Thanks ! Always a joy to be first to demonstrate something as working.

What and where did Rastafabi announce? The prevailing "wisdom" elsewhere is that Nvidia eGPU in HS is impossible.

Thought I read at egpu.io he was going to make an announcement. Don't see it now - could've been half asleep.

I'm interested in this service.  Spring 2018 is a long time to wait.
muellmaa

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 08:02:32 PM »

What's that "Slot-TB" about? And PCIe Lane Width x8?
Custom firmware (just thinking as it works on both macOS and Windows)?
Is it normal, that the eGPU GPU gets displayed on the main window?
Could others with a nMP and an external nvidia card post screens so we can compare?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:13:00 PM by muellmaa » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 10:37:11 PM »

You'll all have to patient.

Independent third party will be confirming eGPU function in High Sierra in a very public fashion.

Not going to have a repeat of Goalie having an "amazing discovery" 24 hours after PM'ing one of our customers. Then  followed by release of his app with his new "discovery".

Everyone likes free cookies, just stinks to be the guy who spent the long hours in the kitchen. Especially when someone else is graciously handing them out.

At least I finally got a "we're sorry" email from Tech Inferno admins when the whole thing came to light.

Anyhow, more details after the public testing.

Thanks for your interest.

EDIT:

Below is from TI owner apologizing for the above:

Hi, welcome back, sorry about the overdue reinstatement. It's just now that we have discovered some facts about certain users that aren't here with us and are fixing the harms they've done during their time on the site.

You have my personal guarantee that nothing like what happened will repeat itself

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:33:21 AM by Rominator » Logged

Rominator

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 12:41:10 PM »

not working quite as well, but we'll get there.

Haven't really even tried yet.

Did this one without the EFI Slot Emulation that gave everyone fits.

Many ways to skin a cat.

I think we found 4 different ways to make nMP eGPU work in Windows. (might have only been 3, it was so long ago)

* MBP-15'.jpg (152.27 KB, 1976x1324 - viewed 120 times.)

* cuda-on-15'-MBP.jpg (106.15 KB, 1204x1062 - viewed 97 times.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:33:20 AM by Rominator » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: