netkas.org forum
December 15, 2017, 01:34:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: High Sierra, NVIDIA web driver, gtx 980 and no start-up (occasionally)  (Read 839 times)
eVasilis

« on: September 29, 2017, 09:46:40 AM »

Hi all, since I installed high sierra and the web driver I've had trouble starting my mac pro a couple of times, usually after a longer period being off, during the night for example. Once I press the power button, I hear the chime and then nothing. Has anyone experiences this or something similar?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:57:22 AM by eVasilis » Logged
h9826790

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 08:53:05 PM »

Hi all, since I installed high sierra and the web driver I've had trouble starting my mac pro a couple of times, usually after a longer period being off, during the night for example. Once I press the power button, I hear the chime and then nothing. Has anyone experiences this or something similar?

Thanks

Do you have any other GPU to test? In your situation, it's very hard to narrow down that's GPU related.

e.g. Quite a few Mac users realise their Mac boot very slow after HS upgrade. And further found out it's TRIM related. Once they switch off TRIM, everything back to normal.

If you have a SSD and TRIM causing issue during boot. You may not able to see it, and assume it's 980 or web driver related.
eVasilis

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 10:54:14 AM »

Thanks for you reply, I have the old GT 120 but I think the culprit is an external drive converted to APFS.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 05:49:53 PM by eVasilis » Logged
Asgorath

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 03:21:17 PM »

Thanks for you reply, I have the old GT 120 but I think the culprit is an external drive converted as APFS.

Apparently APFS can be very slow on mechanical HDs, yeah.
Spacedust

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 05:50:28 PM »

No issues on GTX Titan X, but the bootup process is a bit slower than on Sierra.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: