netkas.org forum
February 19, 2018, 02:40:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
  Print  
Author Topic: High Sierra and The Nvidia Web Driver  (Read 16217 times)
mghamms

« Reply #150 on: February 04, 2018, 08:00:31 PM »

I installed two gtx 1080 in the macpro 5,1 with osx 10.13.3 build 17d47 web drivers 387.10.10.10.156

My problem is that opencl only works on one cuda works on both.

How to get opencl to work on both cards?

When i plug the monitor in the one with the working opencl everything looks good.
The one with the nonworking opencl has all the usual problems, solid tool bar, slow jittering display.
mghamms

« Reply #151 on: February 04, 2018, 10:05:26 PM »

Not toolbar.  Solid white dock.
jeanlain

« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2018, 07:48:32 AM »

Apple is not responsible for the web drivers. It should be nVidias's job to fix them.
Actually, drivers have been fine for quite some time (at least for me on reference board GTX970, MacPro4.1, 10.12 to 10.13).
Apple, on the other hand, treating them like they're some third party software trying to harm your Mac - not cool at all.

Is it Nvidia's fault that macOS doesn't seem to care using GPU's potential in FCPX rendering when Maxwell or Pascal drivers get loaded?
HD7970 (R9 280X) gets immediately to 100% usage when anything needs to be rendered, while GTX980 and 970 never gets over 30%.
I'm still more fond of using GTX970 in FCPX because i can preview timeline with double the effects added than i can with highly optimized AMD.
And that's Nvidia's sole merit.

C'mon, we're talking about official eGPU support here and Apple is making it impossible for Nvidia to join the game.
Again, how do you know that?
For all we know, nVidia could fix these issues themselves. People don't blame Microsoft when some GPU driver has issues. Ok, ok, they did when Vista came out, but apparently it was also mostly nVidia's fault.
We can already consider ourselves lucky that nVidia releases drivers for cards that never shipped with Macs. And eGPU on macOS is only experimental at this point.
I don't think nVidia is putting so many ressources into the optimisation of the macOS web drivers. It's probably low priority for them.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 07:54:06 AM by jeanlain » Logged
Asgorath

« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2018, 07:50:27 AM »

This means Library Validation is getting in the way, as has been discussed at length.  Not the driver's fault.
h9826790

« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2018, 11:04:51 AM »

This means Library Validation is getting in the way, as has been discussed at length.  Not the driver's fault.

So, this can happen on only one of the two cards in the same Mac?
mghamms

« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2018, 03:08:18 AM »

Ok i'm stupid.
Can anyone help me get opengl to run on the second video card?
owbp

« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2018, 09:36:49 AM »

Again, how do you know that?
For all we know, nVidia could fix these issues themselves. People don't blame Microsoft when some GPU driver has issues. Ok, ok, they did when Vista came out, but apparently it was also mostly nVidia's fault.
We can already consider ourselves lucky that nVidia releases drivers for cards that never shipped with Macs. And eGPU on macOS is only experimental at this point.
I don't think nVidia is putting so many ressources into the optimisation of the macOS web drivers. It's probably low priority for them.
Have you ever seen Windows Defender (or MSE, depending on Win version) blocking AMD or nVidia driver in the middle of the installation?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/warning-10-13-3-update-may-require-sip-enabled-with-nvidia-web-driver.2102825/#post-25756661

I'm not in disagreement with you, i'm sure nvidia is having only one or two guys in the basement as part of Mac team, but macOS isn't getting less hostile to the WebDrivers as the updates are coming.

Agree that we're lucky that Nvidia is giving us drivers for all the cards, but that is another thing in which Apple acts like it is a gaming console maker and see no need to offer both AMD and Nvidia as an option. Especially as they offer such a different functionality and macOS supporting Apps that are still much stronger and more optimized in CUDA comp.
h9826790

« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2018, 02:52:25 PM »

Apple acts like it is a gaming console maker and see no need to offer both AMD and Nvidia as an option.

The gaming consoles' optimisation, stability, cost to performance ratio, or even the cooling system... are so much better than the current generation Mac  Grin
owbp

« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2018, 04:33:17 PM »

The gaming consoles' optimisation, stability, cost to performance ratio, or even the cooling system... are so much better than the current generation Mac  Grin
Grin
I was aiming at, "I need CUDA in macOS and what are my options since 2013 iMac (GTX780m) until today" scenario, but couldn't agree more.
Asgorath

« Reply #159 on: February 07, 2018, 10:59:40 PM »

Applications that have Library Validation enabled, like the Window Server, will not load the driver for either card.  Applications that don't have Library Validation enabled will work fine.  The solid dock (and general UI stuttering/lag) is the classic sign that you have LV issues, even if CUDA or other non-Apple apps appear to be working fine.
h9826790

« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2018, 07:18:57 PM »

I understand this, but can this happen on ONLY one of the two cards inside a single Mac.

My understanding is that he has a Mac.

There are two 1080s inside this single Mac.

One of the 1080 works fine, but the other is not.

Applications that have Library Validation enabled, like the Window Server, will not load the driver for either card.  Applications that don't have Library Validation enabled will work fine.  The solid dock (and general UI stuttering/lag) is the classic sign that you have LV issues, even if CUDA or other non-Apple apps appear to be working fine.
mghamms

« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2018, 07:28:07 PM »

Yea two video cards in one Mac Pro 5,1 running OS X 10.13.3
I have the same problem ,only one runs OpenGL, with the two gtx 1080 or two gtx 980

I have no problem with the two gtx 980 on a Mac Pro 5,1 running OS X 10.12.?

So no matter how I look at it seems like a os ,web driver problem.
I contacted nvidia and so far they haven't figured out the problem.
Any of you smart guys think you have a solution I am willing to test anything.
I'm just not the brightest guy so I will need some good instructions.
Asgorath

« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2018, 07:55:21 PM »

I understand this, but can this happen on ONLY one of the two cards inside a single Mac.

My understanding is that he has a Mac.

There are two 1080s inside this single Mac.

One of the 1080 works fine, but the other is not.

He said he has a white dock.  This means Library Validation for the driver is messed up, which results in general UI lag and other issues.  Aside from anything else, he should fix this because it's going to cause a ton of problems.

What application are you using where OpenCL only uses one GPU?  Are you sure that this application has full support for multiple GPUs?  This doesn't happen automatically, the application has to be specifically written to make use of multiple GPUs.
mghamms

« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2018, 08:17:07 PM »

Well first thing when I plug the monitor into the running gpu all is fine.
Plug in into the other white dock slow as cold shit.
So Os  driver problem.
mghamms

« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2018, 08:18:22 PM »

Looks like those two guys in the basement could use some help.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
  Print  

Jump to: