netkas.org forum
December 15, 2017, 01:38:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: High Sierra and The Nvidia Web Driver  (Read 8344 times)
eVasilis

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2017, 11:50:08 AM »

Okay, there's nothing related to the NVIDIA drivers or WindowServer there, so not sure what's going wrong.

Thanks, Asgorath! I noticed that both times when that happened, I had an external drive switched on. This is a dump drive where everything downloaded is temporarily stored there. This particular drive has been converted to APFS and has trouble loading. Before HS, with hfs+, the drive was readily available, with its icon appearing on the desktop, once the boot up of my mac was complete. This is not the case any more and it takes quite some time for it to become available. Could this be related? Mind you, the drive, a 1 TB WD Red, sits inside an oldish USB 2 enclosure.

Thanks
Asgorath

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2017, 02:41:00 PM »

Right, I skipped the APFS upgrade using the instructions from Rehabman, and haven't seen anything like those problems.  The High Sierra web driver just worked for me on the first reboot.

I've heard lots of reports of APFS performing much worse than HFS+, particularly on mechanical hard drives.  If you're using APFS on a WD Red, that could definitely be the problem.
eVasilis

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2017, 03:16:25 PM »

At least I can live with that, for the time being...

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 03:23:21 PM by eVasilis » Logged
lowrider

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2017, 04:21:14 PM »

Hmm, I've been running High Sierra on my SM951 since the release of the Web Driver.  No issues, except some startup items are not starting up.  I need to activate them manually.  And as I previously posted Cuda Driver 9 does not work, but the latest Cuda Driver 8 does?  Otherwise no issues.  Only my SM951 has been converted to APFS, I've left my other drives alone for now.  And, BTW, TRIM is still turned on.  My GPU is an MVC flashed Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming.  The two FW updates also went well on my cMP 5,1 with the flashed card.

Lou  
Spacedust

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2017, 12:50:42 PM »

I've switched back to HFS+ just by doing backup from HDD to SSD with Carbon Copy Cleaner, then again from HDD to SSD and all works well as before. Drive is visible under Windows and I can switch OS'es without any trouble.
eVasilis

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2017, 09:32:45 PM »

With the exception of my boot disk which is only 500 GB, the rest in my mac pro are 4TB blacks, two of which in raid 0. Getting a 500 GB SSD to replace my boot disk is feasible; the rest, there is no way in hell I can afford the premium... It sucks.
mysticalos

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2017, 10:14:04 PM »

not sure how this thread got off of topic of HFS vs APFS and HDDs, but this is nvidia driver thread.
lowrider

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2017, 11:56:30 PM »

I'm out and won't be able to fiddle with it anymore for a few hours.

This just popped up on my blog :

Hi David,
Andy D has just posted a comment on your blog post, New High Sierra drivers out:
All working with a GTX 1080 Ti here now. The trick I had is that Gatekeeper wants to block loading of the kernel extension. I got a pop-up message while installing. Once installation of the driver is complete, don't reboot - load System Preferences, head to Security and Privacy and click 'Allow' next to the 'NVIDIA Corporation' notification. Then, force-quit the installer and run it again. This time, no message from Gatekeeper. Reboot and the driver is spot on.

The CUDA driver v9.0.197 (installed using the same Gatekeeper method) does complain that an update is required, but it did that occasionally in the last version too, so I'm not going to worry about that.

In System Information the Metal status reports 'Supported, feature set OSX_GPUFamily1 v2'. I have no idea what that means; hopefully it's good.

See Post #24 here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/new-nvidia-web-driver-has-my-1080-tis-working-in-hs-10-13-sort-of.2073935/#post-25156726

Lou
mysticalos

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2017, 09:36:37 PM »

Goes without saying but todays security update breaks web driver.

However for first time ever, it doesn't just break it, it REALLY breaks it, even if it's disabled.

I figured per usual driver would compare to OS build number, refuse to load and fall back to reg driver on boot. nope. it goes into a kernel panic loop until you boot off a diff volume, and remove it. like it coudln't even be present on system post update.

EDIT
but the usual hacks to force them to load, still work. so the drivers panic if they try not to load, but work if they do..hmm

that's quite ironic really. the very check in driver designed to prevent instability by refusing to load, is actual cause of panic. FORCING driver to load anyways by editing that build number resolves that panic. ha. I think nvidia at very least should look into why it's not peacefully handing off to stock driver without causing a panic.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:01:19 PM by mysticalos » Logged
eVasilis

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2017, 09:55:54 PM »

I guess there won't be an updated driver until 10.13.1
Rominator

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2017, 10:05:04 PM »

https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/378/WebDriver-378.10.10.10.15.117.pkg

But working on the procedure

Courtesy of Mysticalos hint, simply removing the NVDAStartupWeb.kext from Library/Extensions and rebooting lets you get to desktop with flashed cards (and likely Hackintosh too)

Please note, this is not System/Library/Extensions but just Library/Extensions
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 11:12:09 PM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Asgorath

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2017, 11:17:47 PM »

I guess there won't be an updated driver until 10.13.1

What makes you say that?  As usual, there was a new web driver within 24 hours of the security update going live.
Rominator

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2017, 11:20:37 PM »

Full procedure at macvidcards.com in the Blog.

Works on EFI cards that need Web Driver

Can't speak for other configs.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Spacedust

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2017, 11:23:32 PM »

What about unflashed cards?
mysticalos

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2017, 01:51:27 AM »

https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/378/WebDriver-378.10.10.10.15.117.pkg

But working on the procedure

Courtesy of Mysticalos hint, simply removing the NVDAStartupWeb.kext from Library/Extensions and rebooting lets you get to desktop with flashed cards (and likely Hackintosh too)

Please note, this is not System/Library/Extensions but just Library/Extensions
Yeah the problem was definitely in startupweb. removing it, or convincing it to load web driver, both resolved issue in my tests. But panic ensued if it was present an build number didn't match. Most interesting was panic backtrace would be the apple nvidia drivers not web drivers, like it was some kind of bad/dirty handoff. I'm confident nvidia will fix this oversight but i also think it's a safe bet for safety measures when next security or point release comes out, to be safe we should def avoid startupweb doing any driver handoff until we're sure it's safe.

users who are already stuck in panic loop, who don't have access to emergency/backup boot volumes, have found that simply pulling any nvidia card will allow you to reach desktop too to delete kext. then shut down reinsert nvidia card. boot back up and get new driver and good to go. this of course requires access to an IGP or an AMD card on hand to power display.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 02:00:35 AM by mysticalos » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: