netkas.org forum
January 17, 2018, 10:17:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: High Sierra and The Nvidia Web Driver  (Read 11192 times)
jeanlain

« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2017, 08:39:52 AM »

Does it mean Metal 2 is now fully supported?

I think so. Do you know any good way to test it?
The GPU family 1 V3 report in your screenshot indicates Metal 2 is supported.
The only app I know that requires Metal 2 is DiRT Rally. I'd be curious to know how the recent nVidia cards perform on this game. It's a bit slower on macOS than Windows (16% slower) on my radeon 580, without AA (AA hurts performance a lot on the Mac). I believe the difference will be greater on nVidia, as Metal drivers are not very good.
Asgorath

« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2017, 05:19:46 PM »

I believe the difference will be greater on nVidia, as Metal drivers are not very good.

Can you elaborate on "not very good"?  The NVIDIA Metal drivers have been stable/fast for me in High Sierra, though I don't play DiRT Rally.
jeanlain

« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2017, 07:52:27 PM »

I believe the difference will be greater on nVidia, as Metal drivers are not very good.

Can you elaborate on "not very good"?  The NVIDIA Metal drivers have been stable/fast for me in High Sierra, though I don't play DiRT Rally.
There are some Metal games not compatible with nVidia cards (Mafia III, Hitman).
Spacedust

« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2017, 09:22:39 PM »

I've seen GPU family 1 V3 only on HD7950 Radeon cards. HD7970, R9 280 and R9 280X doesn't show that string.
Asgorath

« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2017, 09:51:45 PM »

There are some Metal games not compatible with nVidia cards (Mafia III, Hitman).

Why do you think this has something to do with driver quality, and not the fact that the only officially-supported Mac hardware from NVIDIA is from 2012?  I'm assuming that Feral isn't testing on newer GPUs on a Hackintosh, for instance.
Zodi

« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2017, 11:02:20 AM »

Since the last driver update i've trouble with my ZOTAC 970 (unflashed), this card runs well for the last 18 months,
but no function after the last update.

The cars is no longer recognized as a graphic card, sysinfo says it an audio card ?!

* picture.png (172.27 KB, 1243x652 - viewed 96 times.)
Spacedust

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2017, 06:41:54 PM »

Does it still work under Windows? Maybe try reinstalling macOS from scratch.
bitnaut

« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2017, 07:56:15 PM »

I think you have to remove your old GT 120, then the new web driver will work properly...Apple’s old NVidia driver which supports the GT 120 is probably loading first which prevents the web driver from loading. That’s my hunch.
jeanlain

« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »

Why do you think this has something to do with driver quality, and not the fact that the only officially-supported Mac hardware from NVIDIA is from 2012?  I'm assuming that Feral isn't testing on newer GPUs on a Hackintosh, for instance.
Because these games are officially supported on Macs shipping when nVidia was still present in the lineup, and other recent games (by Feral) support nVidia GPUs.
The devs also twitted that nVidia wasn't supported "at the moment". So it looks like there are bugs.
SMIKX

« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2017, 04:49:23 PM »

jeanlain !

Nice to see that you are still alive and kicking !

Many here owe their ROMMING success to your hints, observations and posts !

... me too !

OS X 10.13..2 or qo.13 .43 should be interesting.

" Grist for the mill " - ( Shakespeare  I think ).

Mike in Japan

Mac Pro 4,1 upped to 5,1 Dual Quad Core 2.93ghz 17Gb 480Gb SSD TRIM enabled.
HIS HD 7950 3Gb 5.0 GT/s EFI on mDP to DVI + DVI to DVI.
10.9.5 - 10.12.6  - 10.6.8 - Win 7 not Bootcamp. 
AREA 2 port USB 3.1 & Inateck USB 3.0 4 port in OS X 10.9.5.
Asgorath

« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2017, 08:12:02 PM »

Because these games are officially supported on Macs shipping when nVidia was still present in the lineup, and other recent games (by Feral) support nVidia GPUs.
The devs also twitted that nVidia wasn't supported "at the moment". So it looks like there are bugs.

https://store.feralinteractive.com/en/mac-linux-games/hitmangoty/

That lists 27" iMacs from Late 2014 (AMD), 15" MBPs from 2016 (AMD) and Mac Pros from 2013 (AMD).  The fact they're not listing AMD laptops from 2014-2015 suggests it might actually be an issue of the GPUs not being powerful enough, who knows.  Do they block the game from launching on a Maxwell or Pascal GPU, or is it just not officially supported (but probably works fine anyway)?
mysticalos

« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2017, 06:28:24 AM »

The only metal issue i've noticed with nvidia is with 700 series GPUs using stock driver, metal, and APFS get half the performance of same system, same card, same driver, same metal game but HFS+ volume. For some reason an APFS volume tanks metal fps when using nvidia 700 gpus. My friend with a 750M in her imac can reproduce this. She didn't know better and converted a HDD to APFS so her system although one that is normally on HFS+ is using APFS.

I told her to try web driver to see if affected by same bug. hasn't gotten back to me yet. It's a mystery and likely apple is at fault here not nvidia. file system in use should not be affecting graphics driver performance in itself. Something funny must be going on where APFS steals cpu cycles or something but honestly I don't have system/tools to test it. I know blizzard has done some playing with (and discovered this bug as well) in their test machines but beyond that who knows. Not sure if apple or nvidia have played with it or not.
Zodi

« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2017, 11:25:56 AM »

I think you have to remove your old GT 120, then the new web driver will work properly...Apple’s old NVidia driver which supports the GT 120 is probably loading first which prevents the web driver from loading. That’s my hunch.

It works fine bevor with the older driver, but I'll test it
jeanlain

« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2017, 06:44:39 PM »

jeanlain !

Nice to see that you are still alive and kicking !

Many here owe their ROMMING success to your hints, observations and posts !

... me too !

OS X 10.13..2 or qo.13 .43 should be interesting.

" Grist for the mill " - ( Shakespeare  I think ).

Mike in Japan
You're welcome.  Smiley
But really I just made guides based on other people's work.
jeanlain

« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2017, 06:47:33 PM »

https://store.feralinteractive.com/en/mac-linux-games/hitmangoty/

That lists 27" iMacs from Late 2014 (AMD), 15" MBPs from 2016 (AMD) and Mac Pros from 2013 (AMD).  The fact they're not listing AMD laptops from 2014-2015 suggests it might actually be an issue of the GPUs not being powerful enough, who knows.  Do they block the game from launching on a Maxwell or Pascal GPU, or is it just not officially supported (but probably works fine anyway)?
Ok. Maybe the nVidia drivers are good now. There was a time when nVidia web drivers performed less well than default drivers in Metal benches (at least GFXBench). Drivers can't be compared for Pascal cards since these are not supported by default drivers.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: