netkas.org forum
November 22, 2017, 08:36:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: High Sierra and The Nvidia Web Driver  (Read 5521 times)
mysticalos

« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2017, 12:09:24 AM »

I wondered what could be so important to push yet another update out after last one (update 2 was pushed to fix a serious metal regressions that caused severe flickering that was quite bad for epilepsy or other sensitive conditions).

So what was left for yet another update to fix?
The Panic in nvidiastartupweb if it loads on an unsupported OS version. By changing OS build number for sake of testing, it seems 221 now correctly passes control over to stock driver without exploding the whole system.

This means that if you are on 10.13.0, install this update now, so that when 10.13.1 comes out, you shouldn't have dick around with removing the old driver before updating. it should correctly handle things now, making the upgrade procedure go back to normal.

Of course, one should still always have good backups, and I hope anyone who got caught in reboot loop last time with pants down has learned from that Wink
Rominator

« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2017, 10:16:47 PM »

My 10.13 broke during one of the latest updates.

And I've been getting emails and blog posts, back to same behavior as first release

opaque dock, windows drawn poorly

sometimes I see both Nvidia startups loaded, sometimes neither

I have done PRAM resets, re-installed, re-updated

Still opaque dock, even with Kepler GPU if on web drivers

tried deleting the Apple owned startup

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Spacedust

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2017, 11:22:49 AM »

I cannot confirm this - all works well with GTX Titan X. Of course I've removed that old driver before the supplemental update so probably if you haven't done it on the first time then something wrong happened to the system and now it's not fixable.
SMIKX

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2017, 01:59:02 PM »

Rominator, I have always played it 100% safe regardless of Mac model when installing a new version of OS X.

Prior to installation I format a selected HDD and remove all other HDDs and extraneous items.

Then I do a PRAM reset.

Then the installation.

My 10.13.0 installation to my upgraded to 5,1 cMP to a spinner HDD went like a dream.

Even better  . . I found a way to get my 15 year old A3 format Canon Laser working in High Sierra too !

Hope you get it back up running soon.

( Muse : I've wondered but haven't tried doing a first installation in Safe Boot. )

Mac Pro 4,1 upped to 5,1 Dual Quad Core 2.93ghz 17Gb 480Gb SSD TRIM enabled.
HIS HD 7950 3Gb 5.0 GT/s EFI on mDP to DVI + DVI to DVI.
10.9.5 - 10.12.6  - 10.6.8 - Win 7 not Bootcamp. 
AREA 2 port USB 3.1 & Inateck USB 3.0 4 port in OS X 10.9.5.
Asgorath

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2017, 03:27:14 PM »

And I've been getting emails and blog posts, back to same behavior as first release

opaque dock, windows drawn poorly

sometimes I see both Nvidia startups loaded, sometimes neither

I have done PRAM resets, re-installed, re-updated

Still opaque dock, even with Kepler GPU if on web drivers

tried deleting the Apple owned startup

Check the system log for messages relating to Library Validation.  Opaque dock means the driver isn't actually loaded, in my experience.  You could probably confirm that by running something like OpenGL Extensions Viewer that queries the graphics driver for information.
Asgorath

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2017, 06:37:28 PM »

I just saw your blog post:

http://www.macvidcards.com/blog/continued-high-sierra-web-driver-issues

This is all Library Validation.  Apps that don't have LV enabled will run fine, even if the driver wasn't validated/installed correctly.  Apps that require LV, including the Window Server, will refuse to load the driver until you allow it via Gatekeeper in Security & Privacy preferences.  This will give you things like the opaque dock and terrible window behaviour, but Unigine Valley and other apps that don't require LV will run just fine.  It's lame that Apple hides this away in a preference pane rather than making it much more obvious that you need to allow the driver to load.  Hopefully they will improve the UI for this in future releases.

FWIW you'll probably want to update to 121 as mysticalos says that will fix the panic on Software Update.
Asgorath

« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2017, 05:57:08 PM »

And to be clear, it looks like you need to go into Security & Privacy preferences every time you install the driver, and allow the new driver to load.  That's probably why it broke for you -- if you update to a newer version but don't go back in and allow it to load, you'll revert back to the "driver isn't loading" behaviour.
mysticalos

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2017, 07:40:31 PM »

Intersting, I haven't once had to "allow driver" is that because i disable SIP on hack? and LV works even without the LV hack. although I'm using LV hack right now because genuine LV stops working when you hack driver to load on an unsupported version of OS (ie 10.13.1 with 10.13.0 driver) Smiley
Asgorath

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2017, 06:40:49 AM »

Driver for 10.13.1 is out:

https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/378/WebDriver-378.10.10.10.20.107.pkg
Asgorath

« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2017, 04:19:31 PM »

I updated to 10.13.1 without any issues, confirmed that the reboot loop (panic) bug is fixed in at least the 121 driver.  Installed the 107 driver for 10.13.1, no error dialog during install, everything seems to be running just fine.
lowrider

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2017, 05:16:10 PM »

Well, this is a first.  10.3.1 is still not available for me.  Not in the App Store and not at the Apple Download Center.  So, I have the Web Driver available BEFORE I have the OS Update.

Lou
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 05:19:38 PM by lowrider » Logged
bitnaut

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2017, 08:08:20 PM »

Well, here's an interesting wrinkle...I have one 2009 Mac Pro updated to 2010 firmware which has an original Titan video card. Up until 10.13.0, it's been working fine with either original OS X drivers or Nvidia Web Driver. Now on 10.13.1, Nvidia's latest Web Driver (107) no longer recognizes the Titan! I can only boot up with original OS X drivers.

On my regular 2010 Mac Pro, I have a Titan X Maxwell and a Titan Xp...with 10.13.1 and latest Nvidia Web Driver (107), system goes into a sort of boot loop if I have the Titan X Maxwell installed. I say "sort of" because I can log in but as soon as I try to do anything after login, it boots me back to the login screen.

As soon as I remove the Titan X Maxwell, system boots normally.

WTF??? Has Nvidia dropped Maxwell support with the latest driver??
Asgorath

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2017, 08:46:27 PM »

Well, here's an interesting wrinkle...I have one 2009 Mac Pro updated to 2010 firmware which has an original Titan video card. Up until 10.13.0, it's been working fine with either original OS X drivers or Nvidia Web Driver. Now on 10.13.1, Nvidia's latest Web Driver (107) no longer recognizes the Titan! I can only boot up with original OS X drivers.

On my regular 2010 Mac Pro, I have a Titan X Maxwell and a Titan Xp...with 10.13.1 and latest Nvidia Web Driver (107), system goes into a sort of boot loop if I have the Titan X Maxwell installed. I say "sort of" because I can log in but as soon as I try to do anything after login, it boots me back to the login screen.

As soon as I remove the Titan X Maxwell, system boots normally.

WTF??? Has Nvidia dropped Maxwell support with the latest driver??

My GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) is working fine in 10.13.1 with the 107 driver.
bitnaut

« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2017, 10:41:38 PM »

My GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) is working fine in 10.13.1 with the 107 driver.

Yes, I have since found that I can no longer place the X and Xp on the same motherboard. If I put them in separate Mac Pros they work fine with the 107 driver but together they do not. Weird.

I guess one driver running two different GPU architectures is too confusing?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:44:05 PM by bitnaut » Logged
eVasilis

« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2017, 10:44:49 PM »

Cuda update available also through system prefs, excruciatingly slow installation...

System Info bug gone: Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:47:25 PM by eVasilis » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: