netkas.org forum
June 24, 2017, 09:41:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: nvda_drv=1 deprecated?  (Read 539 times)
DarthnVader

« on: April 15, 2017, 02:37:11 PM »

Someone  https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/help-cant-screen-share-into-macpro-anymore-to-change-to-nvidia-driver.2041832/#post-24498973 seems to be having trouble with the latest web drivers for 10.12.4 and an unfleshed GTX980, there also seems to be an issue with Screen Sharing and unfleshed cards.

Did nVidia change nvda_drv=1 to NvidiaWeb, or is this only a Hackintoch issue?

Could someone with a working web driver on 10.12.4 post the output of nvram -p, please.
Asgorath

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 05:16:19 PM »

The only change is that the nvda_drv=1 setting moved from boot-args to its own NVRAM variable.  I believe that was because 10.12 no longer allowed you to modify boot-args when SIP is enabled (i.e. the default).  So, NVIDIA just moved their setting(s) to separate variables and everything else is the same.  I have SIP disabled on my Hackintosh, but moved the setting from boot-args anyway and can confirm that it still works fine for me.
DarthnVader

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 06:16:36 PM »

The only change is that the nvda_drv=1 setting moved from boot-args to its own NVRAM variable.  I believe that was because 10.12 no longer allowed you to modify boot-args when SIP is enabled (i.e. the default).  So, NVIDIA just moved their setting(s) to separate variables and everything else is the same.  I have SIP disabled on my Hackintosh, but moved the setting from boot-args anyway and can confirm that it still works fine for me.

Do you know how to set the variable via sudo nvram on a cPM?

Rominator

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 06:53:51 PM »

That guy has another problem. Otherwise the boards would be full of cMP with black screen unflashed cards.

Even if too thrifty to get card an EFI, why not keep a crappy old 2600XT or GT120 around with EFI. The time spent jacking around in that thread would have paid for it.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
DarthnVader

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 07:05:38 PM »

That guy has another problem. Otherwise the boards would be full of cMP with black screen unflashed cards.

Even if too thrifty to get card an EFI, why not keep a crappy old 2600XT or GT120 around with EFI. The time spent jacking around in that thread would have paid for it.

Thanks Dave, I think it's:

Code:
sudo nvram nvda_drv=1

That's what the nVidia Control Panel seems to set.

Everyone else, that's gotten unfleshed cards to work, seems to have used a spare EFI card, as you suggest, and the nVidia Control Panel set the proper nvram variable for them. One other user in the MR nVidia driver mega thread was reporting the same issue of screen sharing not working, and not being able to use their Mac, no video.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:23:44 PM by DarthnVader » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: