netkas.org forum
November 20, 2017, 07:49:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone with cMP and Titan-Xp or 1080Ti and power issues?  (Read 4796 times)
karaluchy

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2017, 09:48:59 PM »

Heh, that's the spirit Grin
I have also an external power for the optical drive slot laying somewhere, it will be useful again Wink
Thanks!
Squishy Tia

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2017, 03:10:09 AM »

The MP's two mini-PCIe connectors top out at 120w total?? That's not even close to the spec of 75w per 6-pin connector. If that's the case, Apple seriously fucked up using shitty traces to provide the power through the mobo.

120 watts is highest peak I've seen that hasn't lead to shut down on a single cord

I've never seen both in this area at same time as most cards draw more from one side than the other

It makes sense about the lopsided power draw actually, since with a 2x 6-pin to 1x 8-pin adapter the cards have no way to differentiate between the two cables and thus no way to load balance the power draw. That also means that even with the SATA cable option there isn't a safe option for this in a Mac Pro outside of external PSU because you run into the same problem using 2x SATA -> 8-pin connector and a single PCIe 6 pin connector from the motherboard. Either way, you're in for potential current overdraw. On the plus side of things, the SATA cables, flimsy as those generally are, are likely way better than the pathetic motherboard traces used for the mini-PCIe connectors.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: