netkas.org forum
September 24, 2017, 04:49:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: NVIDIA - new beta Pascal drivers  (Read 7463 times)
Spacedust

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2017, 10:14:00 AM »

OT but anyone know a supplier of supplemental PSUs that fit in the 5.25 bay?  The SFP BoosterX5 is no longer made and neither is the EP flavor of the same thing.

Thermaltake was also making such PSUs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ThermalTake-Power-Express-Purepower-Graphic-Card-Power-Supply-250W-W0099RU-/272629074942?hash=item3f79f58bfe:g:MykAAOSwmgJY7sWJ
Rominator

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2017, 07:20:58 PM »

There is a thread at MR where someone opened up the cMP PSU and added lines

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Squishy Tia

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2017, 04:40:43 AM »

There is a thread at MR where someone opened up the cMP PSU and added lines

Heh. Given those parts are no longer made and are unavailable from within GSX (except the 2012 models and that's just whatever stock remains until they're gone), I wouldn't risk destroying the one component that's allowing the computer to run. Tongue
Rominator

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2017, 09:51:28 AM »

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/pixlas-4-1-mac-pro-mod.1859652/

Keep in mind that I was referring to using the internal power plugs, as that is what 99.9% of people I deal with use.

Can you run a 4kw light in your bedroom?

Not from wall outlet, but if you tap into circuit breaker box there is enough current.

Same with cMP, there is 1kw inside PSU, trick is getting power from there to Pascal Titan

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Spacedust

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2017, 02:30:06 PM »

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/pixlas-4-1-mac-pro-mod.1859652/

Keep in mind that I was referring to using the internal power plugs, as that is what 99.9% of people I deal with use.

Can you run a 4kw light in your bedroom?

Not from wall outlet, but if you tap into circuit breaker box there is enough current.

Same with cMP, there is 1kw inside PSU, trick is getting power from there to Pascal Titan

The hole inside Mac Pro 4,1/5,1 is way smaller than it was in 1,1/2,1/3,1, but I was able to push two 1 meters long miniSAS to 4x SATA cables to my IcyDock ToughArmor MB998SP-B and fit 8x SSD in a space of one optical bay Wink
mysticalos

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2017, 08:41:25 PM »

I finally rolled back from 378 pascal driver to previous 10.12.4 driver from 367 and metal performance is back to where it should be. the pascal driver has some serious issues right now with metal and micro suttering that just makes the driver unusable for me on my 980ti. my only concern is i will no longer have this option with 10.12.5 so hopefully by then nvidia has fixed this issue. if you do not actually have a pascal card and do use metal applications (not really many of them yet besides blizzard games), you should probably avoid pascal driver for now. it's a big fat no.
Spacedust

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2017, 09:08:59 PM »

It's probably a beta but wrongly marked as stable.
mysticalos

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2017, 12:16:46 AM »

It's probably a beta but wrongly marked as stable.
nah, they are force seeding it to 16E195 via control panel too. I had to disable update notification for it using older driver already. So it is a release, just one that failed metal QA somehow. or maybe since pascal was push they didn't actually check if there were regressions for 700 and 900 series GPUs. Plus I am hearing at least for opengl things seem normal as well so unless QA played world of warcraft specifically using metal specifically using 700 or 900 series gpu, they wouldn't have noticed the driver is a huge step backwards. So missing it is completely understandable.
nekton1

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2017, 03:48:18 AM »

Thanks for the link.  There are a few secondhand ones around on ebay but I'd like to buy a new PSU if I could b/c they wear out and if I'm going to spend several hundred on a new high-end GPU, it would be nice to have good clean power to it.

I'll look for the link to run a new line out of the Mac PSU too.

OT but anyone know a supplier of supplemental PSUs that fit in the 5.25 bay?  The SFP BoosterX5 is no longer made and neither is the EP flavor of the same thing.

Thermaltake was also making such PSUs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ThermalTake-Power-Express-Purepower-Graphic-Card-Power-Supply-250W-W0099RU-/272629074942?hash=item3f79f58bfe:g:MykAAOSwmgJY7sWJ
Rominator

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2017, 07:27:33 AM »

It's like 3 posts up

nekton1

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »

Thanks—I missed it first time.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:17:38 AM by nekton1 » Logged
nekton1

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2017, 07:19:21 AM »

If new Pascal cards in old cMP 4,1 and 5,1 units is going to be a trend until 2019, this PSU issue is going to need sorting.
eVasilis

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2017, 09:55:40 AM »

Is an external psu out of the question?
Rominator

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2017, 07:31:32 PM »

I've ordered some SATA to PCIE cables, I'll see what happens.

Pixlas mod me be best answer for long term

Need to get more feedback from others with Pascal Titan cards

dp

Squishy Tia

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2017, 04:53:50 AM »

I've ordered some SATA to PCIE cables, I'll see what happens.

Pixlas mod me be best answer for long term

Need to get more feedback from others with Pascal Titan cards

dp

The problem isn't the mod itself, but the level of skill needed to perform the mod. Even using the clamps the mod goes well beyond the vast majority of users' capabilities, and given peoples' tendancy to fudge even step by step instructions combined with Apple having used ALL BLACK wiring, I'd be hesitant, to say the least, to advise the average Joe to mod a PSU, especially when they aren't being made anymore. Whatever stock Apple has left in GSX is it - once they're gone, they're gone.

It would be nice if new units of 5.25" bay external PSUs were easy to find for the Mac Pro crowd. I'd be kind of unnerved by upwards of 150 watts travelling through SATA wiring, but especially those tiny pins.

Those Mac Pro PSUs would be a lot more replaceable if Apple hadn't embedded the SATA data+power backplane into the PSU's lines. Unless of course each of those backplanes' power segment is connected via a PCIe type connector like on a modular PC PSU, in which case you'd have instant access to virtually any PSU on the market so long as it's modular.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: