netkas.org forum
June 22, 2017, 03:24:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Radeon™ RX 580  (Read 660 times)
3mvideo

« on: May 09, 2017, 10:40:35 AM »

AMD let out a new series of cards. whether they work at macos 10.12?
Squishy Tia

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 11:09:46 AM »

It's possible this will work, assuming the framebuffer is a close match to the one used for the R400 Polaris series (the 500 series is a Polaris refresh, and not the upcoming Vega launch). But it would involve .kext injections that aren't easily done anymore with SIP enabled. And being a Polaris part, I wouldn't want to be trying to use these in any Mac Pro that isn't modified for providing extra juice to GPUs. If you want more GPU power, do yourself a favor and get a Pascal nVidia GPU instead. Readily flashable by MacVidCards for EFI boot screens, and power to spare while sipping juice from the power supply.

There is literally zero reason to use an AMD part currently in a Mac. They're just so much of a headache it isn't worth it, and since Apple is the only provider for AMD drivers now, any hardware they don't use themselves won't be in the drivers, unlike nVidia's web drivers which are "catch-all" for their entire Kepler, Maxwell, and Pascal lines.
3mvideo

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 07:14:45 PM »

I can with you will disagree. as I work in final cut x and for it it is desirable for AMD. I tested R9 280x and gtx980. 280x exports video quicker. so rx 480 is 10-15% faster 280x. at me now 280x. but I likely will wait Vega 10.
Squishy Tia

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 12:08:02 AM »

Good luck with the wait on Vega. Unless Apple uses Vega early on, you aren't going to be using one in a Mac Pro. That's just how Apple's drivers roll.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: