netkas.org forum
November 20, 2017, 07:51:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1080/1080ti Macvidicard edition?  (Read 5609 times)
CrisisDog

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 03:10:01 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is coming up with a plan to remove Intel / AMD / Nvidia chips entirely from its products.  Previous jumps from Motorola 68000 -> PowerPC -> Intel already shows they are not afraid to do so.  There's been a lot of rumor in regards to entry level iMacs / MacBooks going with ARM chips, and now there's hints that they're building additional GPU development teams.  Yeah, it could be for just the mobile lineup, but also keep in mind that Apple lags behind in updates to the included OpenGL build, has no plans for Vulkan, and only talks about their Metal API on macOS, something that originated on iOS.  Apple claims Nvidia is also slower with OpenCL routines, which is why they favor AMD, for now.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/03/13/apple-inc-building-graphics-chip-team-in-the-uk.aspx

https://www.macobserver.com/columns-opinions/particle-debris/evidence-mounting-apple-will-convert-macs-arm-cpus/
mysticalos

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 09:03:15 PM »

AMD is better at opencl. But lets be real, these days if you want pro performance you don't want a mac with mediocre performance or a 4 year out of date trashcan. you literally get more performance out of a 5,1 mac pro with modern gpus and that's ultra sad. basically anyone that actually WOULD care about opencl performance, would probably be on a PC or hackintosh. people own macs these days for a personal computer not a pro one, and as such nvidia would be so much better in terms of energy efficiency, power, and heat. alas, apple is married to AMD and dooming their hardware to even more mediocrity.
tomtomgps

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 09:44:07 PM »

You'll get 2.0 speed on 5.1 and 4.1 Mac pros with the Nvidia driver. There Is no need to flash any custom efi. 
Asgorath

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 09:54:32 PM »

AMD is better at opencl.

I would phrase this as "Apple tuned FCPX and other apps to work well on the AMD architecture", because there are plenty of OpenCL apps/benchmarks where NVIDIA crushes AMD.  It's practically impossible to write an OpenCL kernel that runs efficiently on both the AMD and NVIDIA architectures.
karaluchy

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 06:03:01 AM »

You'll get 2.0 speed on 5.1 and 4.1 Mac pros with the Nvidia driver. There Is no need to flash any custom efi. 

so, if I install gtx1080/ti, load the windows drivers on bootcamp I will get PCI 2.0 speeds, am I right?
Spacedust

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 02:12:38 PM »

so, if I install gtx1080/ti, load the windows drivers on bootcamp I will get PCI 2.0 speeds, am I right?

No you won't. Only under macOS.
Spacedust

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 02:14:00 PM »

If Apple switches to ARM then Windows will be impossible. Windows 10 does work on tablets with ARM processors but that's not a full desktop OS.
macfriedchikkin

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 07:27:48 AM »

"Lou" keeps posting about his Rominator-flashed 10x0 card and he's not stating much else... :p

macOS 10.13.x, MacPro 4,1 (5,1 flash), EVGA GTX1070
mysticalos

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2017, 01:16:00 AM »

It's pretty much common knowledge around here that rominator/macvidcards flashes cards you send him (for a fee), or you can buy already flashed cards at a premium from his shop.
macfriedchikkin

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 05:09:49 AM »

Well I just checked MVC's site to see he's charging $200 to flash reference/Founders Editions only. Yes, it's well known who he is and what the business is but there was, at the time of my previous post, no information on what model cards and how much as far as the 10x0 series.

macOS 10.13.x, MacPro 4,1 (5,1 flash), EVGA GTX1070
Spacedust

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2017, 03:39:57 PM »

Well I just checked MVC's site to see he's charging $200 to flash reference/Founders Editions only. Yes, it's well known who he is and what the business is but there was, at the time of my previous post, no information on what model cards and how much as far as the 10x0 series.

Reference is reference, brand doesn't matter as in most cases they use the same BIOS.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: