netkas.org forum
September 21, 2017, 04:24:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Pro 5,1 (2009) R9 280X - 4K @60Hz Chroma 4:4:4  (Read 1056 times)
dijitalitrx

« on: January 24, 2017, 05:03:57 PM »

This information was a bit thin on the ground when I was looking for it so I just wanted to post here to say it's possible and works well.

I have a 2009 Mac Pro with 5,1 firmware (thanks!) using an R9 280x GPU I can drive my 4k monitor (Panasonic 40DX600 TV) at 60Hz with 4:4:4 chroma using an 'active HDMI mini-DP adapter' from Pluggable the adapter is available on Amazon for ~£20 this goes from the mini DP port on the GPU to the HDMI port on the TV, fiddling with the settings on the TV gets the 4:4:4 and 60Hz.

This was a really cheap setup - £250 for the screen and £20 for the adapter, everything works really well for the price except the TV will not wake with the machine once it has powered off. In future I'd go for a 43" display as I think 40" is a little too small around 80cm away from my ageing eyes.

My use case is programming and I found 30Hz to be acceptable but mildly annoying when moving the cursor.

This may be old news but Sierra will install on this machine (using an older Xeon W3520)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:08:22 PM by dijitalitrx » Logged
dijitalitrx

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »

I've had to ditch this setup, I was running it for 2 weeks or so without issues then last week the machine started freezing. I swapped the CPU out and it worked okay for a few more days until it finally died and wouldn't boot.

I thought I'd possibly fried the traces on the mainboard due to the extra work required to drive the 4k display but I swapped a new CPU board in and the machine is ran fine, swapped the old tray back in and it locked again.

I've replaced the mainboard and cpu tray from a 5,1 and have swapped the R9 280x out for a lower power draw RX 460.

I don't think the GPU caused the issue but I cannot be sure.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: