netkas.org forum
May 30, 2017, 02:17:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I have the Akitio Node, and it's recognized by macOS, but the GPU isn't.  (Read 1106 times)
Jeff

« on: December 29, 2016, 10:47:56 PM »

So I have the Akitio Node, and TB 3 is recognized without any workarounds because it uses the 2nd gen TI chipset. However, the GPU is not being recognized by macOS. I used automate-eGPU like normal, and I get the "Thunderbolt device is connected, but no external GPUs detected" message.

The GPU, a Sapphire AMD RX 480 is powered on, and connected with the unit's 8-pin moles The Node has a 400W PSU, so power should not be an issue.

I read a post on EGPU.io that Apple is rejecting recognition  of external GPUs through this latest TI controller, which is why the automate GPU script doesn't work.

So what is the next logical step? I suppose reaching out to goalque? Does anyone else have a Node who could comment on this?
ualwayslose

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 12:01:26 AM »

Hot Plug the eGPU setup when MacOS is booted, then run automate script again.

Should work.
Jeff

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 12:36:19 AM »

Hi was thinking the same thing, but I tried that and still no dice.
Rominator

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 10:30:52 PM »

Well, so far nobody has gotten an AMD eGPU working on 2016 MBP via TB3.

Occasional unaccelerated screen output at best.

So your odds would be much better not using an AMD card.

The people with Nodes haven't posted much info, I imagine that they're trying hard to figure things out first.

I doubt goalie will be of much help, he does lots of hand waving and techno mumble jumbo to come across as knowledgeable when in reality he has contributed no actual discoveries, just rehashed versions of other people's work.

Sooner or later someone will find the AMD "kill switch" buried in OSX. Until then your odds will be greatly increased using Nvidia cards.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
theitsage

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 12:17:42 AM »

Same experience here with TB3 eGPUs. There's no known report of an AMD GPU working through Thunderbolt 3 connection yet. Nvidia GPU works in macOS through the Thunder3 and Razer Core.

The AKiTiO Node has a newer controller, TI83 which does not allow detection of external graphics card in macOS. The Node works with 2016 MBP in Windows so there's definitely a "kill switch" in macOS.
ed_co

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 02:37:44 PM »

Curiously some TB3 akitio devices will be compatible with macOS, but not the node... They say it will not be compatible...
Revealing FAQ here, which makes me think suspiciously about akitio and apple:
https://www.akitio.com/blog/articles/akitio-thunderbolt3-devices-macbook-pro
Weird!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 02:39:36 PM by ed_co » Logged
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 03:27:29 PM »

Update (12/15/2016): Starting with macOS 10.12.2, the devices mentioned above that are currently not compatible with the MacBook Pro 2016 (Thunder3 Duo Pro, Thunder3 PCIe Box, Thunder3 Quad) are also NOT compatible with Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 computers.

Undecided
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: