netkas.org forum
May 30, 2017, 02:19:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Akitio TB3 and TB2 boxes share same PCIE PCB  (Read 869 times)
Rominator

« on: December 13, 2016, 02:13:31 AM »

So, I popped open the Thunder3 and thought it seemed awfully familiar.

The PCB that you plug your GPU into is the SAME BOARD. Not similar, not very similar, THE SAME.

MP-PCI6-AKT-V1.0
E10-72U4153012

I looked to see if any of the missing components had been put back on, haven't seen anything new.

Could someone with a Node verify if the same or different board is in the Node?

The Good news:

1. I won't need to bend my TB3 box open to put GPUs in it, I can just put the TB3 part in the TB2 box which already looks like a grenade went off inside. (especially as my PCIE slot board is modded to have more power available, see "Bad news")

2. If Akitio is feeling SUPER DUPER generous, they could just sell the new TB3 boards and all the TB2 folks could upgrade pretty cheap. A few minutes with a screwdriver and BANG, Bob's Yer Uncle.

3. PSU shipped with the unit is now 6A instead of 5A.

4. We will soon know if Akitio TB2 instability was from the TB2 part of the board or the PCIE slot part. Early on Netkas and I discovered that things we could replicate 100% of time on the (expensive) Sonnet and Netstor TB2 enclosures were 30-70% on the Akitio. Testing 'fixes' is difficult when you don't know if something didn't work because it's wrong, or because it fell in the 70% of time it wouldn't boot right.

The Bad News:

1. It is likely that instability issues caused by PCIE power will remain. In past this affected AMD cards and some Nvidia cards that tried to pull more than 50W or so from slot. (RX 480 I'm looking at you)

2. It is likely that the Node isn't shipping with this same board. Hopefully someone can confirm.

Finishing up some school stuff, will get to more details/serious testing on 14th.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:17:42 AM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
ed_co

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 12:00:35 AM »

Photos should be great mate Wink
Rominator

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 01:06:11 AM »

The bent and wired one is TB2. I have run 12V to the PCIE slot which can be connected via PCIE 6 pin to isolate PCIE power issues.

Since that board is identical from what I can tell, I:ll just move the TB3 board over to the pre-modded case and board.

* tb2.jpg (142.37 KB, 2489x1286 - viewed 153 times.)

* tb3.jpg (139.93 KB, 2226x1305 - viewed 153 times.)

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
ed_co

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 04:33:47 PM »

Awesome pics!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: