netkas.org forum
August 16, 2018, 07:24:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Make your own 5750 Mac Rom (tested in 10.7.2, Mac Pro 1,1 flashed to 2,1 ONLY)!  (Read 14643 times)
noradninja

« on: November 02, 2011, 04:45:59 AM »

Sapphire 5750, 1GB, dual slot. Flashed it, even though it worked with a simple kext modification to add the device ID, because Steam games/DVD Player would not run.

Use ATIWinFlash to rip the stock PC rom from the card. ALWAYS KEEP A BACKUP IN CASE YOU SCREW UP, BRICK CARD, ETC!!!!!
In RadeonBiosEditor, load the PC rom and change the card type to 5770, and the Vendor ID to ATI (1002).
Export this modified rom to a different file, ensuring you do not overwrite the original unmodified rom.

Boot into OS X, and follow the steps in this guide:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?topic=692.0

Using the modified rom you just made in Windows, following the steps for flashing a 5770. If you get errors (like 'dd: bs must be between 1 and 9223372036854775807'), make sure your Terminal startup preference is set to 'Command Line (complete path): /bin/bash'.

Once you have followed those steps, boot back into Windows, and use ATIWinFlash to flash the EFI'd rom to your card.

Boot back into OS X. Copy S/L/E/ATI5000Controller.kext to your desktop, show package contents. Edit Info.plist, adding the device ID of your card (0x68be1002 in my case). Save the plist, copy the kext back to S/L/E, and use Kext Utility to repair permissions and reset caches. Reboot and enjoy your fully accelerated, QE/CI 5750 in Lion.

I will try to help anyone I can if you need further information. As stated in the title, I have only done this with a Sapphire 1GB 5750 dual slot (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=sapphire+5750&num=50&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&biw=1765&bih=1019&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5052537945583584349&sa=X&ei=CbywTqaJFcmztweboPCsAg&ved=0CJoBEPICMAM). My machine is a Mac Pro 1,1 that has been flashed to a Mac Pro 2,1 using Netkas' firmware utility, and I have only tested it in 10.7.2. I get EFI boot screens, only with a DVI->VGA adapter, on the bottom DVI (have not tested on other ports, unsure if the DP/HDMI ports work, I kinda doubt it though and in any case I do not have monitors that support either).

Good Luck.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 04:57:05 AM by noradninja » Logged
rotten_apple
Not Newbie

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 06:03:34 AM »

Hi,

I tried this on my PowerColor SCS3 AX5750 1GBD5-S3DH Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

newegg link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131300

I backed up my bios, hex edited a copy and followed your instructions word by word. I flashed the card, and it actually worked in windows on my first reboot (with default microsoft display drivers), and began to install 5700 series drivers. Then on my second reboot, windows was unable to install the drivers correctly, so aero etc. was not working. I'm guessing the drivers do not work because I made the bios edit in RBE to change the card to a 5770. I then remove the card from my PC, only to realize that the video card wouldn't sit physically into the slot 1 PCIE port in my mac pro due to the ram sinks beneath the card. So I tried it in my MAC pro in slot 2, and as we all know it wouldn't display anything from there either..

Now when I returned the card to my PC and tried to boot the card back up in my PC (to reflash to original bios), the card just won't display anything, and I'm left with a black screen.. This doesn't make sense, because I got it to boot into windows twice without a problem.

Also I'm thinking this problem may even be card specific, because this card doesn't have fans attached to the heat sink..

I also tried to access the card, through ATIFLASH by placing the card in my 2nd PCIE slot in my PC, and using another card as a display adapter so I can navigate in DOS to use ATIFLASH. So I typed "atiflash -i" and my powercolor 5750 wasn't listed as an adapter....

I basically need to somehow flash the card to the original bios..

Any help from ANYONE is appreciated!!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:10:59 AM by rotten_apple » Logged
noradninja

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 02:24:42 AM »

I am actually working on a revised method for flashing 5750's for win/mac as we speak, I will let you know how it works out.
Robandstuff
Not Newbie

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 02:03:19 PM »

So, I got this to work with a Sapphire Vapor-X HD 6750 1gb DDR5 card. Turns out the 6750 and 5750 are the same cards (as are the 6770 and 5770).

I'm running 10.8.0 (though I will upgrade to 10.8.2 after creating a backup and make sure it still works) on a Mac Pro 4,1.

Basic steps were:

0) Boot into Windows, use GPU-Z to check the details of your GPU -it should match this, more or less (mine reported a different die size): http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/249/ATI_Radeon_HD_5750_1_GB.html
1) Save a ROM image, then make a backup copy.
2) Use RadeonBiosEditor to change the device type to a 5770 (*see notes below)
3) Follow the "Make your own ROM" instructions in noradnija's link
4) (This worked without problem for me) After finishing that, you have to add the device ID to the ATI5000 kext and AMDAccelerator kext (I'm not by a Mac right now so I can't get the exact filenames)
5) Repair permissions and rebuild kext cache - I used Kext Wizard
6) Reboot and everything worked for me - DVD player and Steam games, QE/CI as tested by Desktop ripples... supposedly you can get a boot screen via a DVI->VGA cable, though I haven't tested that yet (will test and report in later). Card IDs as a 5770 in System Profile.

PROBLEMS:

Like I said, this went pretty great once I sorted it out. That being said, there were some hiccups.

1) My sound quit working after I did this. A PRAM reset fixed it straight out (boot with option-command-p-r)
2) The first time I booted up OSX saw both cards as being in an extended desktop, though the 6750 wouldn't output anything, and was the primary screen, so I couldn't log in. I'm 90% sure that this was because I didn't repair and rebuild kext's, but I didn't realize that until I had reflashed back to stock, so I ended up rebuilding the kexts, then flashing again. Worked fine after that.
3) Windows (7 Enterprise 32-bit edition) is not working with the card right now. I had it running with standard drivers before flashing and after it flashed it stopped working. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and that had no effect. Device manager says that Windows has stopped this device because the drivers reported an error, and GPU-Z reports an incorrect memory speed.

I haven't fixed this yet, but I have two leads. First, I am going to wipe and reinstall my Boot Camp partition. I only use it for a couple games (and flashing this card) so no big deal there. If that doesn't work, there's some mention that changing the Manufacturer ID from AMD/ATI (1002) to Sapphire (don't know that code off hand) will fix a similar problem in one of the Hackintosh forums. I will try this when I do the 10.8.2 update as presumably I will need to re-update the kexts with device IDs again anyways and I will need to put the new device ID (based on the Sapphire manufacture code) anyways. I will report back in with what I come up with there, as well, so anyone who goes searching for this information later will have a more complete picture.

Big thanks to noradninja and jeanlain (and netkas and rominator) for everything they've posted about this process. There's NO WAY I would have been able to even attempt it without their help. I'll I've added is the confirmation that the 67xx series is the same as the 57xx (which was on Wikipedia).
Robandstuff
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 01:08:35 AM »

Update to above:

OK, got home and had a few minutes finally. I took my "final" ROM from the steps about and opened it in RadioBiosEditor. Changed the vendor code to Sapphire (174b) and reflashed.

Rebooted (in Windows) and boom, Radeon Catalyst drivers picked the card up and everything was perfectly normal. PassMark score of 1688 - which is right on target for a 6750 (and, incidentally, a 5770).

Booted into OSX to see if I had to change anything in the kexts to make it work but it was fine without any changes (the EFI part of the card must be reporting the ATI vendor code, which is what's in the kext files). I had to reset PRAM again to get sound back, though. Ran Portal 2 as a benchmark (remembered to take Vsync off this time) and with 4xAA 8xAF and very high or high on everything (max settings) at 1680x1050 it was between 80 and 140 fps during a quick run around wherever I left off last at (there's a fairly complex animated scene of something assembling itself out of the ground and some lasers and whatnot, so lots of polygons and some lighting effects - not a bad GPU test probably).

ALSO, boot screen over VGA (via a DVI to VGA adaptor with a DVI to HDMI cable attached to it). Picture looks nice over VGA, on my monitor at least. Can't tell the difference between DVI, TBH.

Thanks for all the help!
Rominator

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 03:19:01 AM »

It is great to see someone un afraid to try.

And as you found out, you figured things out !!!

We need more people doing this instead of spending their time trying to copy work already done or demanding "Where is a step-by-step tutorial?"

Cnngrats, glad it worked out !!!

We need more like you.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Robandstuff
Not Newbie

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »

Naw, you guys did all the heavy lifting. I just put a few puzzle pieces together.

I am having problems with my sound output though. I lost sound again today - PRAM reset fixed it but kind of annoying. Wondering if had anything to do with the system going to sleep and waking back up? Not sure, have to Dona little reading to see of anyone else has a similar issue.

Thanks for everything!
Rominator

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 07:09:59 AM »

Would be interesting if you could "spoof" the system into believing that it was a 5,1 Mac Pro.

Then sound may work via the card itself.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: