netkas.org forum
February 24, 2020, 03:35:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: So, how do I fix this? (F my life!)  (Read 27585 times)
mac-bitch

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 06:48:22 PM »

mac-bitch:
I actually HAVE been trying to go through them (that's how I found your posting in the first place)... the problem is, I (like many people) are very new to doing this, and the information is all over the place and buried in lots of different threads. I'm having a hard time keeping track of what I need, what's current information, what's old and outdated, etc.

Thanks for posting the ROM. I'll give it a try when I get home.

But it sounds like from mac-bitch's message that to try his ROM I'll have to pull the card anyhow.... I'll give that a try this evening.

Upper part of your post: You are welcome, good luck. Ok, if you already tried to get to grips then it`s ok, no offence.

Lower part: You can have multiple GPUs  win your system whilst flashing, but then you FIRST have to type "atiflash -i" or (for a more detailed output) "atiflash -ai" to get to know the identifier number of the cards. The first GPU gets the number "0", the next one "1", and so on. So if you type "atiflash -p 0 ..." you are flashing the first GPU.

chickengas

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 07:05:06 PM »

Flashing within the Mac environment using Zeus is the easiest and best way to do it.  YOUR problem with Zeus, so it sounds, was trying to make a rom with it?  I dunno.  use one of the posted roms, use Zeus to flash it, you'll be done in about 30 seconds.  If Mac-Bitch's rom doesn't work, try the one I made (attached to my previous post).  It was made using YOUR rom from your card and the 6870.efi.rom files from this site.  IMHO I wouldn't go through the trouble of flashing it the way Mac-Bitch suggest, it just seems like a lot of unnecessary work and trouble.  It's literally a 30 second process using Zeus.
2007CBR600RR
Not Newbie

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 08:02:32 PM »

Thanks guys.. I'll give this a try tonight and will post how it turns out..
chickengas

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 04:25:21 PM »

How did it turn out?
chickengas

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 03:16:08 AM »

I had a feeling this guy was gonna get what he wanted, then bolt. 
2007CBR600RR
Not Newbie

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 05:17:50 PM »

Nah, haven't bolted, just havne't had time to try it out... Uncle came to visit unexpectedly and I haven't seen him in 3 years (he lives down in Panama now) so been busy hanging out with him. Taking him to the airport this afternoon and will probably try the ROM as soon as I get back....

Don't be so negative Chicken! Smiley Just got busy!
2007CBR600RR
Not Newbie

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 08:05:52 PM »

Ok just got back and tried the ROM from Mac-Bitch and so far so good... Only seems to like having 2 displays though (I can live with that.) I tried hooking my 24" through the DVI and then the pair of 20's up through Apple MDP-->DVI adaptors that I had but as soon as I plugged in the 2nd one, the 24" off the DVI went blank.

So, I guess I'll just have to keep the 2600XT in to run the 3rd monitor for now. I can live with that.

Otherwise, I did get the boot menu on the 24", and a quick check of CS:Source on Steam seems to be working fine....

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. With all the issues I kept having with getting the tools to work, I wouldn't have been able to get it working without you.
mac-bitch

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 08:13:01 PM »

Ok just got back and tried the ROM from Mac-Bitch and so far so good... Only seems to like having 2 displays though (I can live with that.) I tried hooking my 24" through the DVI and then the pair of 20's up through Apple MDP-->DVI adaptors that I had but as soon as I plugged in the 2nd one, the 24" off the DVI went blank.

So, I guess I'll just have to keep the 2600XT in to run the 3rd monitor for now. I can live with that.

Otherwise, I did get the boot menu on the 24", and a quick check of CS:Source on Steam seems to be working fine....

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. With all the issues I kept having with getting the tools to work, I wouldn't have been able to get it working without you.

You will have four displays if:

1)You hook up every display natively: MDP->MDP, HDMI->HDMI, etc.
2)You use active adapters like the Apple MDP->Dual Link DVI

Glad the ROM worked for you.
2007CBR600RR
Not Newbie

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 08:24:21 PM »

Unfortunately, going native won't work (at least not with my current monitors.)

Hmm. I'm using Apple MDP->DVI adaptors that came with the 17" 2009 MBPro's we have at work. As I said, 1 worked fine, but when I plugged the 2nd in, the DVI port went poof. Unplugging the 2nd one brought the DVI port back to life.. Trying to plug in 2 monitors to the DVI ports on the card, only the bottom one worked.

No biggie. I can live with it as is...
Bhang
Not Newbie

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 12:35:17 PM »

I have been scouring these pages as well these past few weeks and came across a post where it mentions that Apples MD-DVI DL adapters are passive, while the MP-DVI SL are active. I do not know if this is true or not !! As I could only find DL adapters and nowhere on the package or adapter does it say whether or not it is passive or active. However, this would be worth looking into.
  Will an HDMI-DVI adapter/cable work? I know ( or think) these are all passive and should work. From the posts I have read here it seems that it is an adapter issue. The one thing I did learn from this whole ordeal is that not many people  all are having issues with 6870's in their MP's and when they are having problems it is usually something simple. Mine was that for some unknown reason the 6870 didn't like my monitor and would not always find it. No one else had this issue so no one could help. Replaced the monitor and everything worked 100%. Everything also worked 100% when I converted to VGA from MD or DVI. Good luck and let us know if when/if you resolve this issue.
2007CBR600RR
Not Newbie

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 10:15:16 PM »

Well, I basically gave up and just decided to stick with having the 2900XT in there to drive the 2 20" monitors, and use the 6870 drive the 24" monitor.

I also ended up swapping the cards so that the 2600XT is in the lowest slot, ad the 6870 is in the next one up - I didn't like how the 2600Xt was blocking the airflow to the fans on the 6870 when they were in the other order, causing the 6870 to run hotter, plus this gets me my boot menu back.

Otherwise, everything else seems to be working fine.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: