netkas.org forum
February 24, 2020, 03:56:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: So, how do I fix this? (F my life!)  (Read 27587 times)
2007CBR600RR
Not Newbie

« on: October 29, 2011, 04:41:32 AM »

So, got my new HD-687A-ZDFC (it's a V5.0...) from newegg today.

Popped it into my 2009 Mac pro, (replacing my Apple 4870 card.)

Ok, got the card. Followed the directions... dumped the ROM using both CPU-Z and ATI Flash from windows. (copied the 2 roms onto a USB thumb drive too, just in case...)

Rebooted to OSX. Fetched Zeus 2.8. Went to Firmware tab, selected either of the saved rom files. Selected ATI 6870 1GB, hit add EFI.

Getting the following message:

AppleScript Error:
dd: bs must be between 1 and 9223372036854775807
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "fixrom.py", line 110, in <module>
    op_rom.fix()
  File "fixrom.py", line 90, in fix
    self.data[-1] = chr(0x100 - sum)
ValueError: chr() arg not in range(256) (1)

Ok, saw some threads talking about this, and having to manually go into the ROM files with a HEX editor and poke around. Where they said I the 5th and 6th values might be "79", I was seeing "80". (dunno if this helps.)

In one of the other threads on here, I saw somebody say that they got it working, and they posted their EFI patched BIOS, so I grabbed that and rebooted into windows and used ATIFlash to flash that version.

Now I can't get either Windows or OSX to boot up. I get to the boot manager screen, but it's corrupted. Both OS's hang during the boot process and just sit there.

I thought, ok, my old HTPC (full tower) has a mATX MB with onboard video + a PCI-E x16 slot. I know I can go into the bios and tell it to use the onboard instead of the slot. So I put the card in, went to boot up, and come to find out the PSU in that machine isn't powerful enough to boot up the machine with the card in there (it's a 535W Enermax).

SIGH.

Ideas how I can at least get the card back to factory BIOS?Huh  I don't really have any friends who have PC's anymore - they've pretty much all switched over to Macs.

I also have an Apple Radeon 2600XT card (that I was using to drive monitors 2+3). Don't know if that helps things or not. Maybe rearrange the order of the cards in the Mac Pro so I boot off the 2600XT as the primary so I can at least get windows to come up enough to let me flash the 6870?

Help is appreciated! I KNEW I should have just left it alone stock until I could get an answer on the Zeus error message...

2007CBR600RR
Not Newbie

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 05:37:13 AM »

Ok, I decided to try swapping around the 6870 and the old 2600XT so the 2600XT was in the lowest (primary) slot. That allowed me to boot up to Windows (THANK GOD!)

Ran ATIWinflash from there and it says it successfully put the original bios back on the card.

Just swapped the cards back around and am booting up now to make sure things are ok...

And yes, I was able to boot into OSX... For some reason it's still making the 2600XT the primary display. I would just pull the 2600XT and go with a single monitor for the time being, but I gave Parallels a try before I tried using the patched EFI bios on the 6870 and my Ubuntu VM that I use for grad school just gave me a black screen unless I resized the window on a monitor driven by the 2600 and then dragged it into the monitor driven by the 6870...

The other wacky thing is even though the 2600XT is in the 2nd slot, the Mac keeps treating it as the primary display (probably because it has the EFI). I tried setting all 3 monitors to 1600x1200 in OSX (which they all can do) and setting the arrangement up so the left and rights are driven by the 2600XT (like they used to be) and the center by the 6870 (which the 4870 used to do.)  I arranged them in the OSX display prefs that way as well. I then tried to reboot and as soon as the Apple BONG happened the right monitor says "signal out of range, set to 1600x1200 or lower". If I remove that monitor (unplug it from the card) then the right monitor (off the 2600XT) seems to be considered the primary.

Going to plug the Left and Center monitors into the 6870 for now and see if that works any better. Ok yes it does. The boot menu is showing up on the right monitor (2600XT), but the other 2 are ok now.

Now to test Windows (probably have to do some display rearrangement in the windows settings since it's also considering the right monitor the primary right now...)

Ok, so I guess I'm ok now... But I WOULD still like help understanding how to fix my flashing issue!!!!

fouel
Not Newbie

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 05:42:22 AM »

How dare you flash a card without backup your original bios ?
You didn't even attach the original rom of card,how people help you ?

The mac rom for your card is attached.
Try any methods as you can to flashing bios into your xfx card.
Maybe it will work on your card.
Good luck.

* xfx687m.rom (128 KB - downloaded 412 times.)
* original xfx bios.bin (128 KB - downloaded 403 times.)
2007CBR600RR
Not Newbie

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 07:10:12 AM »

If you check the first post, you'd see that YES, I DID back up the original rom (TWICE in fact) and (luckily) also copied both backups to a USB thumb drive.
2007CBR600RR
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 07:17:25 AM »

Ok, and now that I'm back in a more stable (basically original bios back on, virgin setup) situation, here's the original bios that was on the card.

If somebody can talk me through how to go about using the tools to try to patch this, I'd appreciate it. I tried Zeus 2.8 but got the following error:

AppleScript Error:
dd: bs must be between 1 and 9223372036854775807
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "fixrom.py", line 110, in <module>
    op_rom.fix()
  File "fixrom.py", line 90, in fix
    self.data[-1] = chr(0x100 - sum)
ValueError: chr() arg not in range(256) (1)

* 6870_ATI_WINFLASH_BIOS_ORIGINAL.bin (128 KB - downloaded 405 times.)
fouel
Not Newbie

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 08:08:15 AM »

Yes,you copied original bios twice.
I am sorry for that.
If you make a 6870 mac rom,please use netkas' tool :Romcreator
http://rghost.net/19375601
Don't use Zeus.
here is attached efi.rom part.
Make your own rom.
Good luck.

* 6870.efi.rom (44 KB - downloaded 440 times.)
chickengas

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 04:19:12 PM »

Again, 5 minutes reading can solve your issue.  I've had all of the same problems, asked, answered.  Read the forums a little. 
2007CBR600RR
Not Newbie

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 07:01:18 PM »

I am sorry for that.
Don't use Zeus.
Make your own rom.
Good luck.

Well, just tried it with netkas' tool and the EFI.rom you provided... Hit the process button and a second later got the "RomCreator quit unexpectedly" dialog with a bunch of debugging output (see the attached PDF of it.)

Ideas? Could it be I have a new version of BIOS on my card that the tools can't handle yet?

* Erroroutput.pdf (54 KB - downloaded 360 times.)
2007CBR600RR
Not Newbie

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 07:04:07 PM »

Again, 5 minutes reading can solve your issue.  I've had all of the same problems, asked, answered.  Read the forums a little. 

And rather than link to that explanation/thread, you just insult me? How exactly is that helping? I work 50 hours a week and am in graduate school part time on top of that. I don't have all day to troll these boards hunting for information like some people. A simple link to the info I need (or better yet, somebody writing some instructions that are updated with details on how to solve these sorts of issues and posted somewhere easy to find) WOULD be helpful.

And forgive me, but it was nearly 1am when I finally got things back to working last night - I was more than a little fried at that point.
chickengas

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 04:19:33 AM »

Sorry, it's a little insulting when you simply post a question thats been asked 1000 times and expect people to jump feed you instructions step buy step.  The search bar can "link" right to your answers.  Seriously, you didn't even try.  I work a lot too, but that doesn't make me lazy and demand people spoon feed me.  Everything you need to know to successfully flash your card is here.   
2007CBR600RR
Not Newbie

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »

Ok, not to be a dick, but weren't you doing the EXACT same thing in this thread:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1100.msg6784.html#msg6784

HuhHuh  And you got chastised for what you posted. How did that make you feel? Does it feel better being on the giving side than the receiving end? geesh...

And maybe the fact that people keep coming in and asking the same question is a hint that the information is NOT readily accessible - search is not a replacement for good clear instructions... Maybe if somebody who really knows what they're doing with this stuff could write some up and place them in an obvious place (like a sticky at the top that has "Instructions for different cards/models HERE") there'd be a lot less people asking the same questions over and over for help.

It's precisely the fact that there's so much information spread around in so many different message threads on here (and other boards suffer this problem as well) that it's nearly impossible to find what you need because you have to come up with the magical search term, and then dig through 100 page flame-war threads to find that one little tidbit of missing info that you need to make something work...
2007CBR600RR
Not Newbie

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 05:39:52 PM »

Now, let's get back to the issue at hand...

Trying the 2.8 version of Zeus didn't work - I get that dreaded python error.

Trying the 2.3 version of Zeus doesn't have an option for the 6870 in the Firmware tab. The Flash tab, selecting Snow Leopard and selecting my original rom file complains that there was an error while flashing or its the same as the existing ROM.

Trying Netkas' tool to make the ROM results in the application crashing as I posted with the PDF dump of the output above.

Any other ideas / solutions to try?

Could it be part of the problem that I've got a Radeon 2600XT in the machine with the 6870? (6870 is in the bottom, primary slot, the 2600XT is in the next slot.)
chickengas

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »

I had all of the same issues.  If thats the only link you found, then you just aren't looking hard enough.  I personally am not going to spoon feed you because I can't come over and flash your damn card.  Agreed, there is a bit of a problem getting specific help here, but whatever, thats the way it is.  

Use Romcreater to create your rom.  Use Zeus to flash it.  All you need are those two programs, your original bios and the 6870.efi.rom file.  Thats it.

The Flash tab, selecting Snow Leopard and selecting my original rom file complains that there was an error while flashing or its the same as the existing ROM

You are trying to flash your original rom with the version of your original rom.  Go back to romcreater and make another rom.  You probably screwed that up.  

I am sorry for that.
Don't use Zeus.
Make your own rom.
Good luck.

This says NOT to use Zeus to create your rom, yet you did it anyway??  I took a copy of your rom that you posted, a copy of the 6870.efi.rom, used the romcreater tool and successfully made an EFI rom ready to flash using Zeus.  Took about 10 seconds.

* your efi rom.rom (128 KB - downloaded 424 times.)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 10:21:52 PM by chickengas » Logged
mac-bitch

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 10:56:24 AM »

Although @2007CBR600RR asked me via a personal message I think it is more useful if I post my ROM on public.
It is for the XFX HD-687A-ZDFC V.5. You should flash the ROM via ATIflash with the command "atiflash -p 0 EFI6870.ROM" (if and only IF the 6870-to-be-flashed is the only card in the system).

Regardless, I think that you (2007CBR600RR) should do more reading and thinking. You don`t have to work yourself through a concise script/programming reference book, so do yourself a favor and read at least the sticky threads in this forum.

Cheeers.

* EFI6870.ROM (128 KB - downloaded 421 times.)
2007CBR600RR
Not Newbie

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 04:47:05 PM »

mac-bitch:
I actually HAVE been trying to go through them (that's how I found your posting in the first place)... the problem is, I (like many people) are very new to doing this, and the information is all over the place and buried in lots of different threads. I'm having a hard time keeping track of what I need, what's current information, what's old and outdated, etc.

Thanks for posting the ROM. I'll give it a try when I get home.

chickengas: If you look, you'll see that I *DID* try using netkas's tool to patch (as well as trying Zeus 2.3 and 2.Cool. When I tried netkas' tool, the app kept crashing (I posted the crash report output as a PDF file in a previous post to this thread). So that avenue has likewise been a dead end for me. From what I'm gathering, those are the 3 possible mechanisms, and none of them are working for me, so I don't see how asking for help here is so bad...

My other option, if mac-bitch's ROM doesn't work for me, is to ask somebody here to try running my original ROM through netkas's tool. I don't know why it's crashing for me... Maybe because I have 2 cards in my machine? I'm hesitant to remove the 2600XT  (one, because I'm able to get the boot menu currently via it, and second, because it's a PITA pulling and inserting cards into the Mac Pro - that little screw-plate for the retention brackets is a pain! Almost rather deal with individual screws! That's probably the #1 fail on the Mac Pro case IMO, otherwise I'd say it's the best case ever!) But it sounds like from mac-bitch's message that to try his ROM I'll have to pull the card anyhow.... I'll give that a try this evening.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: