netkas.org forum
February 22, 2020, 01:30:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How-to install Lion on unsupported machine updated with a c2d cpu  (Read 10696 times)
xi1inx
Not Newbie

« on: October 22, 2011, 08:12:08 PM »

Hi,
I'm in Lion to post this lines!

I had discover on the net a modified osintall.mpkg file to install properly Lion Gm to unsupported machines with a Core2Duo cpu. This file work great for me as I had successfully install Lion retail to my early 2006 iMac 20". My iMac4,1 sports a Core2Duo T5600, 4GB ram and been flashed with MacEFIRom firmware update.

Source: http://vureyosx.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-to-install-os-x-lion-107-on.html

This is the main lines to a successful install:

Under 10.6.8 you must create two partitions. One to restore the Mac Install ESD.dmg on it, and one to install Lion. I had to create a 10GB partition for Lion install files.
Restore the Lion Install ESD.dmg on the partition of your choice (the smaller one, if you want).
Download the osinstall.mpkg linked to this post and replace the one in /packages of the Lion installer partition. Authenticate if needed.
Always under 10.6.8, open Mac OS X Lion installer file on the root of this partition
Click OK, accept agreement and choose the partition where to install Lion
Wait some minutes and your Mac will reboot on itself
The machine will reboot fine under the Mac OS X Lion installer which complete the OS installation. Wait again until another reboot.
On the reboot the machine will not boot under Lion properly. You must turn off the machine and turn on the Mac with the alt (opt) key pressed to boot 10.6.8 to modify the Lion PlatformSupport.plist to support your Mac. Before that, download and install Geekbench. Open the app and do a benchmark.
After bench, a result screen will appear. In this one, locate the Motherboard Model which start with Mac-FXXXXXXXX and copy this one on TextEdit (if you want)
Go to /System/Library/CoreServices in the Lion partition and add you board model on the end of the list. You must keep the <string>Mac-FXXXXXXX</string> format when you add the board model. You Could just remove one of those board model to replace it with your one. Same the file on your desktop with the same name and extension than the original one.
Drop the original PlatformSupport.plist in the garbage and empty it. Add the saved PlatformSupport.plist to /System/Library/CoreServices on the Lion partition. Authenticate if needed.
You could repair the permission of Lion if you want
Reboot in Lion and register your fresh Lion Mac.  Grin

BEWARE  Shocked: Preserve the saved PlatformSupport.plist securely in case the Mac doesn't boot after a Mac OS X update. To repair this issue, jsut to boot under 10.6.8 and replace again the PlatfromSupport.plist in /System/Library/CoreServices in the Lion partition. Drop the new installed Lion PlatformSupport.plist to garbage, empty it and ad the modified plist to /System/Library/CoreServices. To replace this file in 10.6.8 on the Lion partition, you may have to change the permission of the /CoreService to read write for you user.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/32f1bna1scghpzd/OSInstall.mpkg

Attached files: early 2006 20" iMac Geekbench result screen shot and modified Platform.plist for early iMac 2006 20" Mac-F42787C8

[attachment deleted by admin]

* PlatformSupport.plist (2.19 KB - downloaded 555 times.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 09:13:28 PM by xi1inx » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: