netkas.org forum
December 01, 2020, 10:41:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Pro 5,1 not booting with XFX 6950 but boots into Windows  (Read 6667 times)
Dan
Not Newbie

« on: November 19, 2016, 07:04:54 PM »

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and to flashing cards but I've read some of posts on this forum yet I still can't figure out how to use XFX 6950 1GB on my Mac Pro 5,1.
Without any modification El Capitan nor Yosemite is not completely booting when I install 6950.
There is completely no picture on my display yet I can login to it via FileSharing or SSH but I can't do anything after logging in, beyond listing partitions root folders.
When Booting into Windows everything seems fine; there is no acceleration but I didn't install any drivers so I assume it's correct behaviour.
When switching back to GT120 everything is back to normal.

I can't find RomCreator nor EFIzed rom for XFX 6950 1GB so I can't even try flashing it.
I also don't know if I'll be able to to use RomCreator since I can't boot Mac OS (I also tried Yosemite with no luck).
Recently I found that I can boot into any Mac OS but after disconnecting power cable but then no graphic card is found by OS.
I didn't try Sierra as one of application I frequently use is not working under Sierra but if it would solve problem with 6950 than I will upgrade.
I believe that installing Netkas' modified extensions from Lion is not an option today.

Can some one point me to right direction? What should I do first?
Fl0r!an

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 11:10:40 PM »

It's not supported, you can't do much.
Dan
Not Newbie

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 12:16:12 AM »

What's not supported – newer OSes or XFX version of 6950?
I found quite a few statements on this forum that 6950 worked in Lion and Mountain Lion. I thought that I only need RomCreator to prepare correct ROM and flash it.
Rominator

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 02:03:39 AM »

seriously, not about the rom

look in the OS for driver, the 6970 was in there but eventually needed hacks to keep it working

Get a 7950 and quit trying to swim upstream )or a 5870 if you need older OS:s. Florian made a DVI boot screen rom for 58700

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Dan
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 08:33:29 PM »

I'm not very attached to this card so I'm open to finding new one but I would like to know more.
I don't need older OSes. Is 7950 only safe option from 7xxx family?
Probably I should check in IOPCIMatch key from info.plist in AMD7000Controller.kext. But how to decode this IDs?
Is there anywhere a list of cards working in Mac Pro?
If I understand correctly there are no non Apple cards that have boot screen out of the box and that UEFI have no advantage nor disadvantage in Mac Pro?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: