netkas.org forum
October 30, 2020, 10:59:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to enable eGPU on Non TouchBar MBP 2016 using Razor Core in Windows (Nvidia)  (Read 18150 times)
Rominator

« on: November 19, 2016, 08:25:14 AM »

Various folks are trying to make this seem like it requires an advanced computer degree, it doesn't.

I have done it 4 or 5 times now.

1. Doesn't work for most AMD GPUs, still working on that. (Who cares, they all suck)
2. Only works for Nvidia cards, Razer Core (maybe other TB3 enclosures, don't know)
3. Only works on 13" MBP 2016. I can GUARANTEE it works on NON EMoji Bar version, may work on the colorfull fun Emoji Bar one too, I don't know.
4. Will NOT work on 15" ones with AMD (junk) dGPUs.
5. You have to follow ALL instructions, not just ones you understand easily.
6. Does NOT require any DSDT table loading/Test Mode signing/eGPU Blando4eva Verify 1.30 Setup Ripoff/Goalie EFI Bullshit 2.0

Are you ready?

1. Connect Razer Core with Nvidia GPU inside to MBP running Win 10.
2. Watch it download Razer Software
3. Install Nvidia software 375.86 and connect monitor to eGPU.
4. Get a Error 12
5. Be bummed out for...1 second
6. Click on Device Manager
7. In the "View" menu choose "Device By Connection"
8. Find the PCI Root Bridge above the "Facetime BS Camera"
9. Click "Disable" (Not "uninstall", not "beam me to Mars", not "anything else")
10. Listen for lovely Windows music
11. Find the PCI Root Bridge above your Nvidia GPU, it should have some yellow in it (because of Error 12)
12. Click "Disable" (see #9 if unclear )
I3. It should make some Windows "What the f...?" music.
14. Get ready for excitement...click same bridge and hit "Enable"
15. If you haven't screwed this up yet, you should get a LOVELY BSOD, with some smeary white text. (Keyboard and display will get extra bright first)
16. Let it have it's fun, it will reboot in 5-10 seconds
17. Your Nvidia eGPU will display output on external display.

This will probably also work with TB2 on 2016 MBP.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:00:27 AM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
QuadX

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 08:28:36 PM »

Does the DSDT method work on the 15" 2016 MBP? Or, am I out of luck in getting my 1080 GTX in a Razer Core working on my new 15" MBP?
Rominator

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 08:46:06 PM »

DSDT should work on 15" for Windows

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
russell.anas

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 11:28:54 PM »

Hey Rominator,

Thank you so much for the step by step guide. Would these steps have to be performed every time the Razer Core is plugged in? Or just the first time?
Rominator

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 09:42:18 AM »

Let us know

Cybex

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 12:22:58 PM »

Hi Rominator,

First of all, thank you very much for your testing and guide. I have the MacBook Pro 15"inch with Radeon Pro 455. In your post you say that this solution does *not* work with 15" MBP's with AMD in it. I have read on reddit that it should work with the 15" MBP, are they wrong? Next Monday I will be receiving my Razer Core and I sure as hell hope this will work on my MBP.

I'm planning to use the eGPU only for Windows (Bootcamp / Gaming) and not in macOS.

Looking forward to your response. Thanks!
Rominator

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 09:38:25 PM »

Hi, please link the Reddit discussion.

Before I publicly released this procedure I PM'd a couple people and had them try with Touchbar 15" and 13". The guy with 15" said it didn't work and he had to use DSDT.

That is all I know, "guessing" from how it works on my 13" NTB would be mere conjecture and likely to be wrong.

Good rule of thumb is to listen to the guy who tries it and says "it works" or "it doesn't work"

Cybex

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 10:38:10 PM »

I made a mistake, the messages that said it works used DSDT.

Today the Razer Core was delivered and I went on with the DSDT method. It works, my GTX 1070 is recognized and works fine. What I don't like is that Windows is in "test mode" which makes booting *very* slow and I'm unable to play a game because anti-cheat software tells me to disable "test mode".

I'd rather test your solution, but I'm stuck at "8. Find the PCI Root Bridge above the "Facetime BS Camera""". The FaceTime camera is not located under a PCI root Bridge device, but under USB. Am I missing something here?

Rominator

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 11:35:49 PM »

Yeah, I decided I should do some screen shots since I was I a hurry before.

From shots posted of 15" models it's obvious this stuff is mapped differently.

The chances of me needing a FaceTime camera while booted into Windows are about 0% so this is a win/win for me. And nice to know even if a hacker got in he wouldn't be able to spy on me.

But the camera is mapped to a huge branch of PCIE, probably has more bandwidth than USB version.

See what is on this same bridge.

WARNING: best to have backups (Winclone) and other ways to repair system before you go turning random things off.

Finding how to get nMP to work eGPU in Windows was a nightmare of finding these things interconnected.

Crucial that after choosing "Device Manager" that you choose "View" "Devices by Connection"

1 is before, 2 is the actual place you hit "disable" and 3 is the "after" shot, the camera disappears, all you see is disabled root bridge.

* 1.PNG (83.05 KB, 1602x709 - viewed 1442 times.)

* 2.PNG (46.6 KB, 819x921 - viewed 1424 times.)

* 3.PNG (28.97 KB, 728x432 - viewed 1600 times.)

ualwayslose
Not Newbie

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 03:03:18 PM »

I have not tried this method, but I can confirm tMBP 15" with dGPU 460 is working with a Razer Core 970 using the DSDT patching in bootcamp.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: