netkas.org forum
March 30, 2017, 05:40:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple TB2/TB3 adapter vs others  (Read 957 times)
Rominator

« on: November 18, 2016, 10:24:29 PM »

Hi, I got one from Apple and another brand.

The Apple one seems to be better.

While it does allow a TB2 Mac to use Razer Core, there is some weirdness.

Specifically, it shows up as "Unsupported" but it works.

The USB ports worked on it. (Will double check if as USB 2 or 3)

Changing the string to fix it per kid2010 lets it show up as supported but seemed to have no effect on function.

Will update but would be happy to have other mention their experience.

It may be adding some more "wonkiness" to eGPU experience vs using a GOOD TB2 chassis (Sonnett or Netstor with internal power and sufficient went slot length)

The Akitio Node is going to shake things up. The Razer Core is already a better alternative than the BozoBox3 (cheaper, and not made in BillyBob's garage). But it will be the function of these adapters that will either allow or inhibit folks from using newer better TB3 boxes that are here and more coming.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 12:20:03 AM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
theitsage

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 10:45:01 PM »

I tried an adapter from Cable Matters and it worked the same way as the Apple one. It's much bulkier though and costs a lot more. - http://a.co/7dHCmZH
nmzik

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 08:53:34 PM »

Hi, I got one from Apple and another brand.

The Apple one seems to be better.

While it does allow a TB2 Mac to use Razer Core, there is some weirdness.

Specifically, it shows up as "Unsupported" but it works.

The USB ports worked on it. (Will double check if as USB 2 or 3)

Changing the string to fix it per kid2010 lets it show up as supported but seemed to have no effect on function.

Will update but would be happy to have other mention their experience.

It may be adding some more "wonkiness" to eGPU experience vs using a GOOD TB2 chassis (Sonnett or Netstor with internal power and sufficient went slot length)

The Akitio Node is going to shake things up. The Razer Core is already a better alternative than the BozoBox3 (cheaper, and not made in BillyBob's garage). But it will be the function of these adapters that will either allow or inhibit folks from using newer better TB3 boxes that are here and more coming.
Thank you. Can you please test this adapter on Windows (BootCamp) ? This adapter doesn't work on pre 10.12 macOS and I am afraid it won't work on Windows as well. Also Apple says that this bidirectional adapter "Requires macOS Sierra". No mention about Windows.
ed_co

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 09:36:36 PM »

No way!! It should work in Windows!! I don't think is tied to the OS...
Rominator

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 02:01:37 AM »

No way!! It should work in Windows!! I don't think is tied to the OS...

And yet, requires an OS hack to work in OSX

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
nmzik

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 10:58:17 PM »

Rominator, As I can see, you have Akitio Thunder 3 (http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,13563.0.html) Can you please run Thunder 3 on TB2 mac? Does it work?Even it shows up as "Unsupported" it means it will work on windows 100%. I just looked at Akitio site about AKiTiO Thunderbolt 3 Compatibility : "We are working on another Thunderbolt 3 PCIe expansion chassis designed for full-length cards, other than external graphics cards, that will work with both Windows and macOS. Please give us a bit of time and we will have the right solution for you." Coming in Fall 2017 I think.
Rominator

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 12:04:29 AM »

Had a bit of a shock last night. (Netkas predicted correctly)

The Akitio TB3 works WELL with Apple TB3 to TB2 on the nMP.

As in 5/5 boots got to OS X. (Once needed kext mods done,. etc)

The Razer Core is like 1/5 for same test.

So, this makes Akitio TB3 a useable choice for those with TB2 Mac wanting to keep options open for future TB3 Mac.

Having to bend the case, and supply more power with extra PSU, etc is a drag, but as neat & tidy as Core is, it's difficulty with Macs and TB3/TB2 adapter make it a poor choice.

One little caveat...my Akitio uses a modded PCIE slot card with plenty of power. Can't say for sure how usual TB3 Akitio will work, all I can tell is what it is capable of with good power. (I don't use the barrel connector at all)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: