netkas.org forum
August 18, 2019, 04:48:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Future eGPU support for Sierra  (Read 12015 times)
Rominator

« on: September 09, 2016, 01:13:28 AM »

Just wanted everyone to know that we will be happy to help with eGPU hacks and fixes in Sierra.

The tech charlatan is backing out for greener ($$$) pastures but it*s really pretty simple.

(funniest part is the crying about Bizon Box monetizing his magnum opus. Yep, really stinks when someone else claims your own work for their benefit. Irony rather thick here.)

You WILL be able to use eGPU in Sierra, trust me. Nothing to worry about if the automated Binky gets taken away.

Once you clear the hocus pocus flim flammery, not much really needs to be done.

You:ll be fine.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 01:23:14 AM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Arch Stanton
Not Newbie

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 04:36:49 AM »

That's encouraging to hear.  Hopefully sometime in October I'll take the plunge on one of these:

http://www.maxexpansion.com/cube3-metal-expansion-enclosure-8-pcie-x8-slots

and load it up with some Pascal cards (provided drivers are available).  I'll document the process if anyone's interested.  I understand this may not work, but I'm willing to take one for the community.  Rominator, you mentioned possible some problems with memory allocation for the 4 additional cards over Thunderbolt - has Sierra done anything to address this potential issue?
vladessa2016

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 08:12:16 PM »

In it something is. Thanks for an explanation.

ClassicMartini
Not Newbie

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 06:41:21 AM »

Just wanted everyone to know that we will be happy to help with eGPU hacks and fixes in Sierra.

The tech charlatan is backing out for greener ($$$) pastures but it*s really pretty simple.

(funniest part is the crying about Bizon Box monetizing his magnum opus. Yep, really stinks when someone else claims your own work for their benefit. Irony rather thick here.)

You WILL be able to use eGPU in Sierra, trust me. Nothing to worry about if the automated Binky gets taken away.

A 'lowly' 1050ti with a stock Atikio will be an attractive path for many 2011-2013 Tbolt macs, wanting a boost to their CC/Video workflow.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-2015-3-Pascal-GPU-Performance-840/#Exportingto4K-SingleGPU

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-After-Effects-CC-2015-3-Pascal-GPU-Performance-846/#Rendering(Export)

ClassicMartini
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 10:41:54 AM »

Rom.

Any speculation on the Razer Core working with the kext mod with the new MB, eh..'pro's?
Zorn_
Not Newbie

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 03:16:06 PM »

Rom.

Any speculation on the Razer Core working with the kext mod with the new MB, eh..'pro's?

Wasn't eGPU support already tested in macOS? So far there's just been a lack of Macs with ThunderBolt 3. It seems like it should just work as long as you use a card for which macOS has drivers.
Arch Stanton
Not Newbie

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 03:18:32 PM »

That's a potentially expensive experiment...
Zorn_
Not Newbie

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 03:50:05 PM »

That's a potentially expensive experiment...

I have a Razer Core, and I know one person who already has a new MacBook Pro on preorder - only issue is I have a GTX 1080 in my Core, so unless nVidia stops dragging their feet I wouldn't be able to test it either way.
ClassicMartini
Not Newbie

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 04:16:29 PM »

Thank you Zorn.

Hopefully nVidia get their drivers out soon.

Look forward to your discoveries.

p.s, also looming is this:

https://www.akitio.com/expansion/node
Arch Stanton
Not Newbie

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 07:15:56 PM »

Thanks for that link to the new Akitio box.  I wonder if it will work with a TB2 to TB3 adapter?
Rominator

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 11:51:03 PM »

As I just posted in another thread, all about whether it is meant to go "both ways".

Read the specs.

Some posters at MR in MacBook section have found disturbing TB3 details. Looks like not much faster than TB2 in many instances. Basically, when you plug into a USB-C port you have no idea what you are getting until you find out.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Fidler

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 12:49:24 PM »

Great to hear good sir and much kudos to you.

I've been reading up on all your writings for the past few days as i wait for my box to arrive.

I'll be running Sierra (Win 10 as well) on my 13'' retina 2015 and will pair it up with a Akitio thunder 2, EVGA 750ti and a LEICKE 120W 12V 10A.

Will your little application make the integration process easier?

Many thanks

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: