netkas.org forum
October 15, 2019, 03:11:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple bones us yet again - hasn't played TB3 by the rules  (Read 155780 times)
fakebanana

« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2016, 03:13:45 AM »

I can confirm that both Rominator's method and the DSDT method (which is a lot simpler than it looks), work fine for fixing the "error 12" problem on my non-TB 2016 MBP and Nvidia 980 and 1070 cards. My Nvidia 660 didn't need any fixes to work in Windows. It also can be hot-plugged (unlike the 980 or 1070 cards).

I also have a fix for the audio problem - disabling and re-enabling the Cirrus Logic CS8409 (AB 51) device in Device Manager re-enables the built in audio (speakers and headphones).

A big thanks to all the folks here! I finally have an eGPU solution that works without any compromises on my 2016 MBP
Rominator

« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2016, 08:51:10 AM »

I can confirm that both Rominator's method and the DSDT method (which is a lot simpler than it looks), work fine for fixing the "error 12" problem on my non-TB 2016 MBP and Nvidia 980 and 1070 cards. My Nvidia 660 didn't need any fixes to work in Windows. It also can be hot-plugged (unlike the 980 or 1070 cards).

I also have a fix for the audio problem - disabling and re-enabling the Cirrus Logic CS8409 (AB 51) device in Device Manager re-enables the built in audio (speakers and headphones).

A big thanks to all the folks here! I finally have an eGPU solution that works without any compromises on my 2016 MBP

Yay ! So my method worked?

Could you PM me any thoughts or issues with instructions I sent?

Does DSDT still require Test Mode Signing?

My guess is my method is much easier.

I created this thread, see if I missed anything:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,11673.msg34221.html#msg34221

Would rather get your input before more try it. (And if you post it on Reddit please credit to Netkas Forum)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:01:23 AM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Rominator

« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2016, 11:34:24 PM »

My pleasure Smiley

Just curious, has anyone managed to figure out what's the exact reason Apple is blocking those TB3 devices? The function isn't looking at a particular chip to block instead I think  it tries to block based on capability?

I hope the figuring out "Why" might help get this working better.

Any programmer types have an idea?

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
kid2010
Not Newbie

« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2016, 11:40:26 PM »

Based on the replied I get, I assume it's checking for related certification flags. If peripheral is not certified for macOS and doesn't belong to one of the whitelisted categories (external hard drive I assume) then it just skip processing the peripheral (blocking it)
Rominator

« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2016, 11:47:09 PM »

Based on the replied I get, I assume it's checking for related certification flags. If peripheral is not certified for macOS and doesn't belong to one of the whitelisted categories (external hard drive I assume) then it just skip processing the peripheral (blocking it)

Very interesting.

I am just hunting down what is stopping Maxwell cards from working.

fakebannana says he has 980 working in OS X but he is only one

I can get Kepler series cards to fire up in ISX with little bother but Maxwell cards crash/reboot

feels like something else, just trying to figure if it is intentional Apple block or unintentional software conflict

kid2010
Not Newbie

« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2016, 11:48:51 PM »

Have you checked the log from kernel when you plug it in? Like which extension triggered the crash.
Rominator

« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2016, 11:54:04 PM »

If plugged in after boot it doesn't crash, it just doesn't work fun;ly.

Any card will be id'd as "Nvidia Chip Model"

It only crashes if plugged in at boot.

With a Kepler card this leads to lovely, working eGPU. With Maxwell it leads to reboot/crash.

kid2010
Not Newbie

« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2016, 12:02:29 AM »

Try boot in verbos mode(Command (⌘) – V) with the card plugged in and see what's the last word from kernel?
Rominator

« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2016, 11:10:19 PM »

Crash reports thus far have shown all the expected kexts in backtrace. Window-server is listed as cause.

I have hectic class schedule on Sunday/Monday/Tuesday so will get back to testing on Wednesday

Interestingly, fakebanana has reported on Reddit that he has 980 working in OS X. I have pm'd and emailed him with no response.

I don't use goalie's script as there are better methods, curious how he did it and if he has posted any screen shots.

Meanwhile, the Bison Box folks claim:

– BizonBOX 3:

MacBook Pro Late 2016

Notes:

MacBook Pro

MacBook Pro Late 2016 13" without Touch Bar
OS X: Full support.
Windows: Full support.
MacBook Pro Late 2016 13" with Touch Bar
Windows: Full support.
MacBook Pro Late 2016 15"
Windows: Currently not compatible.

I did notice that they have quietly pushed the shipping estimate from 4-5 weeks to 5-6 weeks.

They either know something nobody else does, or are shitting. bricks trying to get those promises fulfilled. I'm tempted to wait 4-6 weeks to figure anything else out.

UPDATE:

I see another poster on the Reddit thread has a 980Ti working in OS X. (He even used a 5K trick from my site)

Possible that I've buggered up my Sierra install.

When I try again, if I can't get the Maxwell cards working easily I'll reinstall Sierra nice and fresh.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 11:20:50 PM by Rominator » Logged

fakebanana

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2016, 11:25:41 PM »

I didn't do anything special - I just ran the tb3-enabler tool, followed by goalque's automate-eGPU.sh script to install & patch the nvidia web drivers. After some earlier misadventures with the 10.12 betas, I'm running 10.12.1, if that makes any difference.

Rominator

« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2016, 09:13:53 PM »

Reinstalled 10.12.1 update and redid system mods, got Titan-X up and running on 2016 MBP (no emoji bar)

Will put some screenshots up.

TB3 speeds from Razer, thanks to kid 2010!

kid2010
Not Newbie

« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2016, 09:23:35 PM »

^^ Good to know

So the problem you had with Maxwell is possible related to other kexts?
ualwayslose
Not Newbie

« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2016, 09:56:03 PM »

Hey, have the 460 15" MacBook Pro.

I get the following when running the script.

Detected eGPU
 GM204 [GeForce GTX 970]
Current OS X
 10.12.1 16B2659
Previous OS X
 [not found]
Latest installed Nvidia web driver
 [not found]
No Nvidia web driver detected.
Checking IOPCITunnelCompatible keys...

Missing IOPCITunnelCompatible keys.
Mac board-id not found.
Searching for matching driver...

No web driver yet available for build [16B2659].

I was wondering, what steps I am missing. I ran the TB3 enabler then I am doing the Automate script. I am doing the .sh version as I couldn't figure out how to do the EFI version. If someone could point me how to do the EFI I would appreciate it, or if the .SH version will work.

Thanks!
devildcn
Not Newbie

« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2016, 10:23:49 PM »

There is no Nvidia web driver for build 16B2659 cos this build could be find only on 15" MBP 2016.

Do manual activation (with editing kexts and modifying nvidia web installation package for 10.12.1 16B2657).
ualwayslose
Not Newbie

« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2016, 10:33:33 PM »

Hmm I will try.

Me and Rominator have the same computer though it appeared he used the script. He did say he reinstalled 10.12.1 so I am trying that now.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: