netkas.org forum
May 22, 2017, 08:20:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple bones us yet again - hasn't played TB3 by the rules  (Read 33725 times)
Rominator

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2016, 04:28:40 AM »

Trying Win 10 install again

Will update.

BTW, The TI folks removed link to this board. Truth isn't valued highly there. Goalie will be posting about another "amazing discovery" in 3...2...1...

Oh is that why the post disappeared? I posted it again because I didnt see it lol.

Now your post is gone.

It:s a true Banana Republic over there.

Good news, I got eGPU running on 2016 MBP in WIn 10, no DSDT fiddling required.

Benchies comming.

Nice!

So I guess the DSDT stuff is only required for MBP with dGPU then ^^

PM'ing you something to try.

Mine is non-emoji bar with faster CPU and 16GB and 512 SSD.

And...looks like Optimus is working right now.

UPDATE: Optimus is working, a little too well I'm afraid. Intel GPU thinks it's running internal and Nvidia COntrol Panel thinks it's running External but they are mirrored. Tried closing the MBP and it went to sleep and wouldn't wake up. (no clamshell apparently)

Timespy running now, but obviously it will be taking a hit from sending output back down TB3.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 05:14:06 AM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Rominator

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2016, 06:38:11 AM »

So, with both a 980Ti and Titan-X Pascal getting lackluster 3K or so in Timespy, guessing it's the unwanted Optimus.

Turned off the iGPU and the laptop's screen is now aa mess and external running Timespy again.

I had artifically low scores on nMP as well for awhile, never figured out why but recently it hit 7K there so it is OK.

Can the others who have eGPU running on MBP 2016 let me know if you have Optimus working ?

And if not, how you disabled it?

May try 1080 next if next one still below 4-5K.

UPDATE: I reinstalled Nvidia drivers and killed the Intel Inside iGPU, brought score up nicely at 5.6K

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/736299

Compare to nMP 2013 12 Core almost breaking 8K

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/679577

Found a fairly simple (No DSDT hack needed) way to enable that has worked on my No Emoji Bar 2016, will share by PM, would like it tested here before release.

Also, don't want it ending up on TechInfernal right away.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 06:57:43 AM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
kid2010

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2016, 07:53:43 AM »

So, with both a 980Ti and Titan-X Pascal getting lackluster 3K or so in Timespy, guessing it's the unwanted Optimus.

Turned off the iGPU and the laptop's screen is now aa mess and external running Timespy again.

I had artifically low scores on nMP as well for awhile, never figured out why but recently it hit 7K there so it is OK.

Can the others who have eGPU running on MBP 2016 let me know if you have Optimus working ?

And if not, how you disabled it?

May try 1080 next if next one still below 4-5K.

UPDATE: I reinstalled Nvidia drivers and killed the Intel Inside iGPU, brought score up nicely at 5.6K

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/736299

Compare to nMP 2013 12 Core almost breaking 8K

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/679577

Found a fairly simple (No DSDT hack needed) way to enable that has worked on my No Emoji Bar 2016, will share by PM, would like it tested here before release.

Also, don't want it ending up on TechInfernal right away.

For me it looks like the internal display is always powered by the dGPU (RX460). The iGPU is nowhere to be seen in the Device Manager.

I tried to disable RX460 and after that the internal display just got a black screen. GTX 1080 only handles the display that's connected directly to the card.
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2016, 07:57:19 AM »

Well, optimus aleays work on internal screen powered by igpu if you have nvidia egpu, it works on mini2014. But when sc en is connected to egpu, the optimus is no more.

Looks like tb2 vs tb3 doesnt make much diff in high resolutions (2560, 4k). As its usualy vga bottlenecked, not cpu or pcie bus. Looks at graphics score only.
But well, cpu in mbp 2016 more powerful than quad core in nmp
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 08:10:44 AM by netkas » Logged
rwssoccer1

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2016, 04:08:55 PM »

I wonder if some of the handoff issues between AMD dGPU and the eGPU would go smoother with another AMD card as the eGPU since they support xConnect?? IDK thinking out loud
Rominator

« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2016, 11:55:31 PM »

Still looking for someone with new 2016 MBP (The NON-TOUCH BAR version) using with eGPU.

I found a way to enable eGPU that works for me and doesn't require DSDT fiddling.

So, this only applies to someone using in Windows.

OSX is another PITA.

Has anyone got Maxwell going in eGPU on 2016 MBP?

I have Keplker going but having issue with Maxwell cards (cards that need Webdriver)

BTW, blando finally relented and left a link to this thread standing, so expect more traffic.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 12:09:22 AM by Rominator » Logged

rwssoccer1

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2016, 01:30:56 AM »

What is the method without changing DSDT? If there is an easier way that is great. I could almost care less about doing eGPU in OSX. There was someone on reddit that got it to work on non-touch bar version.
Rominator

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2016, 02:00:28 AM »

Do you have link to Reddit post?

kid2010

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2016, 02:01:14 AM »

This one I believe

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/5a6z8s/my_experience_with_the_new_13_mbp_and_the_razer/
rwssoccer1

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2016, 03:21:44 AM »

Yea that is it.
Rominator

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2016, 03:38:23 AM »

Interesting, but lots of idle chatter and few reports of actual attempts.

I:m sure each passing day will bring more input.

I have discovered that the Core won:t show up on ANY Mac in Sierra unless you fix the kext that kid2010 found.

(We owe him some thanks)

kid2010

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2016, 04:28:32 AM »

My pleasure Smiley

Just curious, has anyone managed to figure out what's the exact reason Apple is blocking those TB3 devices? The function isn't looking at a particular chip to block instead I think  it tries to block based on capability?

Rominator

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2016, 05:49:24 AM »

Yeah, and I can tell you this. Just saw Core running on 2014 Mini, it said "Unsupported" but eGPU working, the USB ports were also working.

Was using with the Apple TB3/TB2 adapter to connect. Perhpas it reporting 20GB/s allowed it to work even though it stated "Unsupported"?

kid2010

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2016, 06:06:28 AM »

Using a TB3/TB2 Adapter will go with a different path in IOThunderboltFamily I think. I tried all my TB3 accessories (HP ZBook TB3 Dock, Dell Dock and Razer Core) and none of them works with macOS by default. Maybe Apple is intentionally blocking peripherals that requests 40GB/s without specific property set. This is just really weird decision :/
theitsage

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2016, 03:56:00 PM »

Still looking for someone with new 2016 MBP (The NON-TOUCH BAR version) using with eGPU.

I found a way to enable eGPU that works for me and doesn't require DSDT fiddling.

So, this only applies to someone using in Windows.

OSX is another PITA.

Has anyone got Maxwell going in eGPU on 2016 MBP?

I have Keplker going but having issue with Maxwell cards (cards that need Webdriver)

BTW, blando finally relented and left a link to this thread standing, so expect more traffic.

Can you pm me the error 12 workaround without DSDT? I have a base non-touchbar MBP. I'll be using both an RX 470 and GTX 980. My eGPU enclosure is an AKiTiO Thunder2 with TB3<->TB2 adapter. I will have a Thunder3 on Monday to test as well.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: