netkas.org forum
November 19, 2017, 12:31:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple bones us yet again - hasn't played TB3 by the rules  (Read 59005 times)
mulvone19

« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2016, 02:41:10 AM »

For those who have the razer core working, is it hot pluggable? And are you having any issues using an external monitor? @Rominator
and forgot to mention are you getting metal support?
Rominator

« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2016, 12:22:54 PM »

For those who have the razer core working, is it hot pluggable? And are you having any issues using an external monitor? @Rominator

I don:t think it is hot pluggable. But who cares? With an SSD it takes 30 secs to boot.

Each and every setup is different. You can either be the pioneer and post your results, or wait for someone to post what works for them.

I can only speak for 2016 NON Emoji Bar MBP and Razer on TB3.

Wotks in OSX and Windows (windows requires fix I posted in another thread)

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
theitsage

« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2016, 05:57:32 PM »

I don:t think it is hot pluggable. But who cares? With an SSD it takes 30 secs to boot.

Each and every setup is different. You can either be the pioneer and post your results, or wait for someone to post what works for them.

I can only speak for 2016 NON Emoji Bar MBP and Razer on TB3.

Wotks in OSX and Windows (windows requires fix I posted in another thread)

You got the Razer Core eGPU to work fully in macOS?
Rominator

« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2016, 12:04:07 AM »

Depends what you mean by "fully"

I can get screen output from any Nvidia card (to external display) and use CUDA in OS X. 10.12.1

And I can get just about anything to work in Windows, including Optimus, but it takes a massive performance hit to use it.

Will try the 10.12.2 Beta with the latest Nvidia driver.

I have the Non-Touchbar model.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
ed_co

« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2016, 09:34:46 PM »

Akitio Node is $299

Or you can buy the same thing from BozoBox for $650

(though "4-5 weeks" is now "early 2017")

ROFL

I was taking a look into the Akitio Node, versus the BizonBox 3 (I guess is the one you say "BozoBox"), and the difference is that they support mac OOTB, and in the Akitio is not supported, which I can guess, it is possible to "hack" in order to make it work.
Obviously the price difference is HUGE. It depends how much you want the easyness for OSX.

You still that is the same? Personally I like the Razer Core more, as a matter of fact that it has a nicer enclosure with a lot of ports!!
What do you think guys??

A.
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2016, 09:43:53 PM »

>I was taking a look into the Akitio Node, versus the BizonBox 3 (I guess is the one you say "BozoBox"), and the difference is that they support mac OOTB

Did they ship any yet ?

I can claim I was on the moon, proofs? what ? you should believe my words.
ed_co

« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2016, 09:52:24 PM »

>I was taking a look into the Akitio Node, versus the BizonBox 3 (I guess is the one you say "BozoBox"), and the difference is that they support mac OOTB

Did they ship any yet ?

I can claim I was on the moon, proofs? what ? you should believe my words.

LOL, this was that I was thinking about. Maybe they are being really positive Smiley

Apart from that, I have seen one thing which maybe is not really good in the Akitio Node, which is the lack of a second thunderbolt 3 port, meaning, no daisy chain?? This could be a bad thing... Or not?
Rominator

« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2016, 01:41:57 AM »

Razer Core has only one TB3 port.

I don:t think the OS can manage the bandwidth anyway.

Could possibly work if you daischained a mouse or tablet.

Bozobox *brought out* their TB3 box in early Nov, they claimed *ships is 4-5 weeks*

Next it was 5-6 weeks, now it is *sometime in 2017*

Hopefully folks wise up and ask for money back

ed_co

« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2016, 04:10:02 PM »

Razer Core has only one TB3 port.
Nice to know. Although it has usb and ethernet port, which could be useful Wink, but is 200 bucks more...

Bozobox *brought out* their TB3 box in early Nov, they claimed *ships is 4-5 weeks*

Next it was 5-6 weeks, now it is *sometime in 2017*

Hopefully folks wise up and ask for money back

At least, they are selling the Bizon Box 2S, which they claim it could be replaceable with the TB3 board. But, you are right, doesn't mean that they are doing the TB3...

One curious thing is they claim, pretty much everything works, with some glitchers in OSX and windows, except MBP 15 2016, which can't work in Windows, which I don't understand why not... Reference here: https://support.bizon-tech.com/hc/en-us/articles/210709789
Does it make sense? MBP 15 2016 and Windows, is not compatible?

From my POV, I am really interested in getting one of this boxes, but for my Macbook Pro retina early 2013 which has TB1, and they idea of getting a TB2 enclosure, is not really appealing, considering that I would like to change it in a year or so... and I don't want to spend again in a TB3 again when it happens. And Akitio Node sounds awesome, but I don't know if this could work or not. I am in a big doubt.

Thanks guys, this thread is awesome, and I am glad to get all that valuable info.
Rominator

« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2016, 02:58:29 AM »

I think BoxoBox is just waiting for eGPU community to figure everything out for them. (again)

Windows works fine on Non-touchbar with Razer.

I got an Akitio TB3 one, not Node but regular. Not too excited to start bending cases again. I am hopeful that it works well, the Node is supposedly same board but with PSU inside and more space.

netkas
Administrator

« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2016, 04:31:45 PM »

Looking forward to akitio results, hopefully it's better than razer.
ed_co

« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2016, 04:55:43 PM »

I think BoxoBox is just waiting for eGPU community to figure everything out for them. (again)
Wow!! Seriously? I didn't know about that, and I have no doubt that is true. It is not saying anything good about them!! Before you talked about it, I was having hopes with the OOTB, but knowing that is not true...

I knew that. But, I don't know why the 15" version is different, and is more problematic, and "In Windows". Weird. I thought was the same, and I don't understand the reason. Different controller? It is supossed that the 13" touchbar version works good too, right?
And if not, why just in 13" non touchbar?? Something special??

I got an Akitio TB3 one, not Node but regular. Not too excited to start bending cases again. I am hopeful that it works well, the Node is supposedly same board but with PSU inside and more space.
Is it exactly the same? Have you asked Akitio about it?? Maybe is not the same. The good thing is, this one HAS daisy chain!! So, maybe is even better (apart for the PSU and case).

Looking forward to akitio results, hopefully it's better than razer.
Should be so different?? Really matters?? I thought that could be marginal, if different...

Sorry for my lack of knowledge. And sorry for my english, I've just realized that is not good enough sometimes for certain situations, when I try to explain I am always going in circles...

Cheers guys.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:26:02 PM by ed_co » Logged
IMcD23

« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2016, 05:45:57 PM »

I knew that. But, I don't know why the 15" version is different, and is more problematic, and "In Windows". Weird. I thought was the same, and I don't understand the reason. Different controller? It is supossed that the 13" touchbar version works good too, right?

Yeah, the 15" has a dGPU (Radeon Pro 455/460), and the PCI lanes are different. It will work in Windows with DSDT patch or with disabling certain devices in Device Manager.
ed_co

« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2016, 09:29:27 PM »

Yeah, the 15" has a dGPU (Radeon Pro 455/460), and the PCI lanes are different. It will work in Windows with DSDT patch or with disabling certain devices in Device Manager.

What about 13" non touchbar vs touchbar?? They are always mentioning it if it is touchbar or not...  Grin
ualwayslose

« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2016, 06:47:33 PM »

Hey Blueshadow

I don't have a Bluetooth so I never tested it in windows so sorry can't help you there.

I am planning on returning my 15" dGPU 460 version for the base 13" model with 8 GB Ram. Anyone have any benchmarks I can expect running stuff in MacOS/Bootcamp. Also does anyone know if with the 13" without a dGPU it still takes like a minute to load bootcamp with the core connected?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: