netkas.org forum
December 05, 2020, 05:55:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flash non-Apple Radeon 6970M with Apple EFI firmware?  (Read 8701 times)
still_apple_user

« on: September 16, 2016, 10:06:14 PM »

I'm really sorry if this question would seem stupid, but my flashing experience is limited to BIOS and CD-RW drives and I want to ask about this particular GPU. Can I use the "Apple HD 6970M 2048 MB BIOS" from TechPowerUp to flash Dell ATI FirePro M8900 (which I think is a Radeon 6970M 2GB with another firmware)? Or would I just brick my GPU/other issues will crop up?

Rominator

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 08:55:01 PM »

Some Ebay searches and comparing of photos will tell you someone has been flashing 6970Ms for awhile.

Might even let you know which models are working.

Imp@ortant that device id match. Nvidia sometimes lets last byte get set by rom in softstraps, ATI/AMD has never done this that I recall, so card must match before flash.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
still_apple_user

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 12:47:09 AM »

[...]

Imp@ortant that device id match. Nvidia sometimes lets last byte get set by rom in softstraps, ATI/AMD has never done this that I recall, so card must match before flash.

Does the whole id has to be identical? For instance here, "GPU Device Id: 0x1002 0x6720 BR039889-001". Or is it enough that the part "0x1002 0x6720" is the same? I think there is also a way to force flashing, right?

Thanks for the reply, BTW!
Rominator

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 03:46:24 AM »

device id

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
dukefawks
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 03:11:41 PM »

All the Ebay cards are heat gunned/reflowed garbage, waste of money. You can just as well take a heat gun to your own card and have it working again for a few months.
The Dell cards are identical besides the ROM if you want to give it a go.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: