netkas.org forum
January 22, 2021, 02:51:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running Occulus Rift on 6,1 MP  (Read 14554 times)
Rominator

« on: June 18, 2016, 01:21:52 AM »

Got Rift going with a 6,1 nMP last night.

Pretty interesting.

Only thing I had trouble with was the X-Box USB dongle.

It refused to pair with controller, in fact I think it might be bad. Never got a flashing light from it. Tonight I download the Valkyrie game and try that out.

Does anyone know of a benchmarking app for Rift?

Was running smooth as silk with a GTX1080 last night.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 05:44:37 AM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
pixxelpusher
Not Newbie

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 06:27:31 AM »

I've had a DK2 for a while, it's pretty great isn't it.

Interesting about the USB dongle, I just have a cheap one off EBay, but it does light up as soon as you plug it in. However, the first time plugged in it came up as an unknown device in device manager. I had to manually select a driver for it from the list that comes up. Then it worked and paired properly with the controller.

I've only heard of one dedicated VR benchmarking, but haven't tried it yet: app https://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/vrmark

You can also run the VR test on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/323910/ but it doesn't give much info. I'm sure a 1080 will blitz it!

There's this too but it's not out yet: https://www.basemark.com/vrscore/

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:36:19 AM by pixxelpusher » Logged
pieroman

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 07:08:30 AM »

The biggest hurdle I had configuring the Rift was indeed to pair the xbox one controller. It was solved after unplugging the dongle and trying the pairing again. Worst case scenario you can use the controller wired. The xbox accessories app in the windows store is supposed to update the controller and make pairing more reliable.
Rominator

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 08:05:23 AM »

Yeah, the VRMark thing isn't actually past Beta "Preview" so it doesn't give a score, but is pretty cool to play around with.

The Steam one gave nMP and 1080 a 10.7 !

0 CPU bound and 0 below 90fps.

and thanks for ti on the dongle, just needed a driver

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
razvani
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 05:32:34 PM »

Good thing I have a Rift and can't run it with my eGPU.
Rominator

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 07:07:46 PM »

Good thing I have a Rift and can't run it with my eGPU.

How does it run with the internal cards?

Have you tried with and without Crossfire?

I spent a couple hours playing Valkyrie last night. Pretty cool part is before you launch you can look all around the spaceship interior. After that things go rather poorly for me, I just don't have the reflexes of a fighter pilot. Game runs phenomenally, but even on "Novice Idiot" setting I don't do well.

Only time I ran into motion sickness issue was in VRMark "Preview" where you can move through space as if "No clip" is activated in a game.

Spacedust

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 06:54:41 PM »

Maybe try this one Wink https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMy5TyasA0g
pixxelpusher
Not Newbie

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 06:27:46 PM »

Good to hear it's all working!

I'll have to try the Steam one again with my 2009 MP and see what my score is Smiley

I'm no good at space shooters either. Have you tried stuff like Altspace? It's fun if you ever want to run around like an idiot.
Rominator

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 09:18:38 AM »

I had class at UCLA Mon & Tues but tomorrow I hope to put the Occulus on the 5,1.

I will try with and without USB 3 card and report.

Runs like a top on the limited 6,1 using a 1080 and eGPU.

pixxelpusher
Not Newbie

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 05:13:10 PM »

I've done the Steam VR Performance test just to have something to compare to:

Score of 9
0 CPU bound and 0 below 90fps

This was on my 2009 cMP with 5,1 firmware and custom CPU's + GTX 980.

The Mac Pro's are great for VR (and gaming) despite the negative view in the general community. You just need to add a decent GPU and you're set!
DanielDync

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 12:08:36 AM »

A company like Facebook has no reasonable explanation to be involved in something like Occulus Rift.

Unless its just for money, which it very likely is.

1,2,3  More info...
Arch Stanton
Not Newbie

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 05:35:32 PM »

Hell yes Facebook is in it for money.  Have you read the EULA for the Rift?  They are mining ALL your data and using it to target ads to you.  That said, I bought a Vive and clicked straight through the EULA  Grin
pixxelpusher
Not Newbie

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 06:07:19 AM »

Just got a CV1 and it also works perfectly with the Mac Pro and GTX980 video card.
VR is awesome no matter what system you decide to run. I hope more companies get involved in VR and make it a standard communication device. More competition means better tech at cheaper prices.
Really wanting to try touch controllers next.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 06:10:08 AM by pixxelpusher » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: