netkas.org forum
December 01, 2020, 10:00:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting project on KickStarter  (Read 19633 times)
Spacedust

« on: August 24, 2016, 12:47:00 PM »

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/08/24/thunderbolt-gpu-wolfe-macbooks/

MVC should be such company Wink
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 06:50:48 PM by Spacedust » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 08:36:20 PM »

They should get in touch.

Looks like they:re offering an Akitio and a PSU near cost instead of marking it up a few 100s like the a-holes at Bizon.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Rominator

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 10:41:45 PM »

Amazingly these kids have raised $300K with little more than a slick video and a bunch of promises.

I find this phrase especially alarming+

* In fact, you can use as many Wolves as you have Thunderbolt ports - so on the Mac Pro you can add up to six! *

As I have only gotten one or maybe 2 eGPUs working on nMP 6,1. In fact, there are only 3 controllers, so getting 6 eGPUs working would be quite a feat. If they have done so, they should be able to post some really stunning OpenCl and CUDA results. But I happen to know there:s another snag in that claim.

Also, they claim to have eGPU on nMP in Windows. Yet when I search for Apple Inc. Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6 on 3DMark I only find results with Dxxx junk and the eGPU results all have MacVidCards in the name field.

It IS funny seeing Bizon Box and Goalie with their feathers all ruffled. *They stole my stolen tech* is kind of funny and ironic. Some might say karma came home to roost.

The final claim they make that is quite interesting is that the eGPU can run the internal screen in OSX. Only way I have seen that done is to start it on external screen and drag window into laptop screen. I suppose that the fact it works proves it COULD be done. Anyhow, they:ve made a bunch of bold/naive claims. Will be interesting to see if they know what they:re doing or more flash in the pan. )$300K isn:t anything to laugh about0

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Fl0r!an

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 02:22:01 PM »

They've posted a video running Heaven in fullscreen on a MBP, which they said was accelerated by the eGPU. No details how they achieved that though...
devildcn
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 03:07:16 PM »

They've posted a video running Heaven in fullscreen on a MBP, which they said was accelerated by the eGPU. No details how they achieved that though...
Maybe with mirror mode and "ghost" monitor via DP/HDMI dummy Huh

About 6 Wolves on MacPro: i know a guy who is running 3 boxes with Titan X on nMP 6,1 for Octane render and 2 boxes are on thunderbolt bus 0. So theoretically imo 6 boxes are possible.
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 05:42:37 PM »

it's possible to change default renderer id with trick similar to LD_PRELOAD on linux, easy for metal, hard for opengl. It requires sideloading your library for any app you wanna launch with it.
Arch Stanton
Not Newbie

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 06:13:14 PM »

Maybe with mirror mode and "ghost" monitor via DP/HDMI dummy Huh

About 6 Wolves on MacPro: i know a guy who is running 3 boxes with Titan X on nMP 6,1 for Octane render and 2 boxes are on thunderbolt bus 0. So theoretically imo 6 boxes are possible.
Got any more information on this?  I'm looking at 4 Pascal cards once drivers hit, but I am not trying to buy 4 enclosures.  I'm considering this box:

http://www.maxexpansion.com/cube3-metal-expansion-enclosure-8-pcie-x8-slots

But am slightly hesitant to drop the cash and be stuck with a sub optimal solution.  I could always hook it up to a mac mini in boot camp, but still... his thoughts and experiences would be welcomed!ß
devildcn
Not Newbie

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 07:24:56 PM »

Got any more information on this?  I'm looking at 4 Pascal cards once drivers hit, but I am not trying to buy 4 enclosures.  I'm considering this box:

http://www.maxexpansion.com/cube3-metal-expansion-enclosure-8-pcie-x8-slots

But am slightly hesitant to drop the cash and be stuck with a sub optimal solution.  I could always hook it up to a mac mini in boot camp, but still... his thoughts and experiences would be welcomed!ß

He is using 3 Akitio modded boxes.
Rominator

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 10:50:43 PM »

If the Harvard kiddos have a way to make these things work they should post video/screen shot or 3D Mark link.

Has your buddy with 3 eGPUs on nMP posted anywhere? I'd love to read about it. I've had poor luck getting more than 1 working. Even connecting an SSD via TB causes trouble with a eGPU running.

Fl0r!an

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 08:53:59 AM »

it's possible to change default renderer id with trick similar to LD_PRELOAD on linux, easy for metal, hard for opengl. It requires sideloading your library for any app you wanna launch with it.
Some years ago it was quite easy to inject code dynamically with mach_inject and mach_override. It got harder with every major OS X release, because Apple tightened the security.

I used that ages ago to attach to certain OpenGL calls in games some time ago, worked nicely back then: https://github.com/Fl0ri4n/Ingamium
Rominator

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 10:57:42 AM »

Hello everyone,

We want to start by saying how much we appreciate all of our backers. Your enthusiasm has proven to the world that our shared vision for the Wolfe can become a reality.

We’re writing today to share some important news: we are going to be cancelling our Kickstarter campaign, and refunding your pledges in full. Our success has attracted the attention of some big players in the industry, who recently reached out to us about the Wolfe. Through these conversations, it became clear there would be some uncertainty in attaining the product certifications essential for the Thunderbolt 2 (and thus macOS) versions of the Wolfe.

We decided it wouldn’t be right to accept pledges from you, our earliest supporters, with these new developments and changes to our timeline. However, these factors will allow us to bring you an even better product in the near future as we work with our new partners in the industry. We are incredibly excited about the next steps for the Wolfe, and the future of this Kickstarter community.

Thank you for an amazing campaign. We’ll be back.

Sincerely,
The Wolfepack

Another set of wannabees fades out

Like the Tech Charlatan, Goalie, they bit off more than they could chew.

Called this one
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:00:20 AM by Rominator » Logged

Rominator

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 11:04:19 AM »

Or, ask yourself what might motivate you to return $322,000 that is already in your account.

Perhaps the word *fraud* might come to mind
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:07:27 AM by Rominator » Logged

netkas
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 12:03:05 PM »

Maybe I should learn more about kickstarter. I can put up some nice video and get money... Just kidding
Rominator

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 12:22:18 PM »

Maybe I should learn more about kickstarter. I can put up some nice video and get money... Just kidding

Not kidding.

They got $300K for putting together some slick webpages...and offering people what they wanted to hear/read.

The market is there.

We knew what those promises they made meant. That is why i knew they would weasel.

We could fulfill (some of) those promises...with things we figured out a year ago. But the promises of 6 TB ports running 6 eGPUs were ludicrous.

Anyhow, moves forward will come not from code kiddies with pretty faces and prettier web pages. They will come from people who know what they"re doing. I imagine they are regrouping for TB3, but TB3 should make life easier for everyone on eGPU. Pity Apple has allowed their machines to wither on the vine with ancient TB2 while PC world has moved on.

Realities of eGPU world won:t be known until Apple gets off their wealthy butts and ships a TB3 computer.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:11:22 PM by Rominator » Logged

Synchro03andsoon
Not Newbie

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 09:52:07 AM »

KickStarter project canceled: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thewolfe/the-wolfe-supercharge-your-laptop/posts/1688789
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: