netkas.org forum
December 05, 2020, 07:13:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MacPro 3,1 - Need Recommendations  (Read 7335 times)
jakegub

« on: August 11, 2016, 03:11:03 PM »

Hi all,

I feel like I'm about 3 years too late, but here's my situation.

I built a hackintosh with very nice hardware and it is running very smoothly as my daily driver at work.  Work is now requesting updates to the latest version of the OS, blah blah blah and I don't think I have the time anymore to tinker when updates are necessary and I don't want to take the risk of doing it wrong (no backups, automatic updates, missing sound, etc).

Instead of making that terrible mistake, I made a different one.  I purchased a MacPro 3,1 at a good price from eBay "knowing" that I could upgrade the graphics and have a very nice fully supported mac ready for all the automatic updates that my institution requests.  Little did I know (because little did I read) that cMP3,1 is no longer supported as of Sierra.  Too bad, the mac pro arrives today.

My questions for any of the fine folk here are these.  Feel free to answer as many as all and as few as one.
1. Am I getting myself into another project that will require high maintenance (and thus probably better to sell the mac pro potentially at a loss and try again)?
2. Could I add a modern graphics card as a secondary card and keep the original EFI card for when I need boot screen with no EFI flashing of GPU?  (requires very little work, but doesn't solve Sierra problem)
3. If the answer to #2 is no, are there any more recent guides for EFI flashing of cards?  I know there is a ton of information on this forum about the process, but everything is quite old (I'm okay if the old info is still relevant)
4. If I follow the instructions for booting Sierra on cMP3,1, is that process persistent enough that it would be worthwhile to do one of the above and take marginal updates as they come?

pitosalas

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 02:18:45 AM »

Now it seems that the Mac Pro EFI update utility is not willing to work on my computer, see attached image. It says "This Software is not supported on your system". Anyone else have that?

* Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 9.13.36 PM.png (70.4 KB, 673x497 - viewed 1188 times.)
mysticalos

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 09:50:28 AM »

If you're trying to do the 4,1 to 5,1, it's obviously not useful for 3,1.
Rominator

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 08:22:22 PM »

research is the key

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
jakegub

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 10:02:20 PM »

I feel like my thread was accidentally hijacked and now I don't know what's going on.  I've already set up the Mac Pro in my work office, so I'll figure out the macOS Sierra issue later I guess, or sell then.  The computer got damaged in shipping so the seller gave me a pretty generous discount.  If it won't work, I'll just sell it then and buy something that will have continued updates.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: