netkas.org forum
August 19, 2019, 04:20:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: nMP joins 99th percentile !, fastest 6,1 on planet, news coming soon  (Read 15986 times)
Rominator

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 02:12:57 AM »

Ever heard of "Martin Shkreli"?

Ever heard of Nando4?

He charges for his "eGPU setup utility". Is he gouging?

Imagine this scenario.

After weeks of testing and coding, Nando posts on this board that he has developed eGPU Setup Utility 2.0 and that he charges $20 for it.

User "numnutz" posts that he bought it and it works great.

I quietly PM numnutz and have him send me some registry files to have a look at.

I see how Nando's app works and post "Don't spend $20 on it, I figured it out too and I will be giving out the hack for FREE !!!"

I release an app that mods the same system files and does the same thing "eGPU Setup 2.0" does.

Nobody buys Nandos App since they can get it from me for FREE !!!

Questions to think about:

1. Would this make me a douchebag? (Answer: yes from Nando's POV, maybe not from the beneficiaries of my largesse)

2. Would Nando then spend hours upgrading his app to "eGPU Setup 3.0" when he knows that I am a douchebag who will claim I "discovered it too" and hand it out like candy at Christmas? (Answer: of course fucking not)

People who leech other people's tech hacks love to look like a brainiac by saying things like "and you only need to change these 4 bytes in this obscure system file" to amaze the masses with their "genius".

For the guy who spent weeks (or months) finding those 4 bytes, it was a HUGE accomplishment. To the guy who just PM's someone in the shadows and copy & pastes those 4 bytes into his script, it was super easy, less than 10 minutes work. So no issue handing out like said candy. The guy who spent the time to find the 4 bytes should decide what they are worth, not the guy who slimes around in the shadows.

I get what you're saying, and I agree it's a frustrating situation to deal with when you're the one who has done all the work to get something like this up and running.

But...that then begs the question: Do you have any intention of having this go public eventually (commercially or not)?

I applaud the work you've done (I certainly wouldn't be able to do it myself), and I'm even willing pay for your services, but if this is something that will never see the light of day for those of us that don't work on this kind of thing...can you just let us know if we should step out of the circle jerk then?

I'm going to send a nMP eGPU setup back to Barefeats to let him test OSX and Windows with a few GPUs. Afterward we will be debating what form of release to go with. A main issue is that eGPUs require a great deal of fiddling.

We have EFI that goes with specific cards that enables some features, there are still OS mods that need to be made. I spend much time every day answering questions about regular Maxwell cards in regular Mac Pros. The number of people who have trouble comprehending that "hook up the power" refers to BOTH cables and that all the warnings about drivers are serious, not anecdotes is staggering. These same people unleashed on eGPUs with their much more complicated procedures would not end well for either side. Whether it was Apple or Intel, they managed to keep eGPU over TB2 enough of a PITA to keep it from going mainstream.

I may offer to set up a Post Production facility here in Hollywood first to see if nMP with eGPU is actually useful and stable for work. Anyone working at such a Post House in Hollywood/near Valley, etc is free to get in touch.

And I would like to tell you that I spent more than a year working on nMP eGPU. It wasn't easy, or fun. For some time Nando4 was helping me. We were chatting and helping each other until they decided to side with the Tech Charlatan and move TI into the "warez" category. Had his efforts led to a solution a year ago, it would have been released then and there. After more than 40 re-imagingings of my WIndows install, I found what worked. Netkas helped with some crucial details that got last batch of cards working.

Months of making registry tweaks, EFI tweaks, and booting to black screens, hung boots, etc. Back to OSX to recreate the last working Win install. It wasn't easy and it wasn't fun. (Far Cry 4 at 65" 4K on nMP was however)

Occulus says my rift is shipping next week. I'm going to enjoy testing it on a variety of machines. After that and after I allow Barefeats to document the setup we will revisit the future release of the tech. I am very hopeful that TB3 on Macs will introduce more friendly drivers that will make this easier for everyone.

If the general eGPU community made it clear to Brian and Goalie that they would prefer honesty and transparency on future "discoveries" it could help everyone.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 02:18:25 AM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
ClassicMartini
Not Newbie

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 03:01:50 PM »

4 GPUs on an external chassis may be tricky.

The issues now include any given OS leaving space in mapped memory for a GPU.

While we have been able to get almost any GPU to work in any OS, multiples may be more tricky.

More details coming. I wish we could share more openly, but that has been proven to not always be best plan.

Tutor has got quite a few gpu's running off the one rig, over on the Otoy (Octane) forums. Describes the IO memory issues and workarounds. In detail.

Any difference in the max you've seen in the four months since post?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 03:07:30 PM by ClassicMartini » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 08:19:15 PM »

Hi, haven't done much more with it but try out VR.

I can't imagine that Tutor is wasting his time with a 6,1 nMP.

I imagine he is using all sorts of other machines.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: