netkas.org forum
October 20, 2017, 08:56:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Pro 3,1 and 2GB GTX 680 > Flash Help  (Read 2856 times)
branflake

« on: December 02, 2016, 08:33:12 PM »

Hey, I'm interested in upgrading from my ATI 5770 to a 2gb GTX 680... was looking around and the PNY ones seem available. My problem is I don't have access to a PC or have bootcamp installed. I use VMWare Fusion and have Win XP, 7, 8.1, and 10 installed as well as use Wineskin for different applications. I'm wondering if there is a way to flash a GPU from something like that rather than have to reinstall an entire OS and bootcamp or if there is a way to flash a GPU from Mac terminal?
Fl0r!an

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 11:57:54 AM »

No, you'll need a native Windows installation or boot FreeDOS on your Mac Pro.
branflake

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 04:56:47 PM »

I'm not familiar with FreeDOS but am very interested. This would be perfect for my needs are you familiar with the procedure to create a boot disc or flash drive for this or is it even possible?
branflake

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 01:09:30 AM »

I just followed these instructions to get successfully get FreeDOS on a usb stick: https://www.chtaube.eu/computers/freedos/bootable-usb/

But I'm not seeing it as a bootable volume. Is there something else I am supposed to do?
Fl0r!an

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 09:45:20 AM »

The cMP can't boot legacy OS from USB, you'll need to burn it to a CD.
branflake

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 07:31:00 PM »

Are you aware of any special procedure to burn a mac boot FreeDOS disc? I've tried a couple different things but am not having much luck.  Undecided
Fl0r!an

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 10:24:17 PM »

Should be pretty straight forward. It think I used Disk Utility last time...

Btw, the MP3,1 can't boot SATA CD/DVD drivers, just the stock IDE ones will work. So in case you've upgraded that...
branflake

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 07:10:19 PM »

Ok, so I was able to boot up from disc to where I have option 1-5 to continue to boot. For one, I'm not sure which option I want, for two... it didn’t seem like pressing 1-5 on my keyboard or using the arrow keys allowed me to select anything. Are there special keys that correspond with DOS cursor?
branflake

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 02:39:36 AM »

Ok, so I had the keyboard going into the USB on the monitor. Gonna try it direct to computer.
branflake

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 10:42:19 PM »

Ok, so connecting the keyboard direct into the computer works. Option 2 of the live boot cd, the one that loads without drivers seems to be the only one that works for me but gets me to a DOS prompt so that seems good. Now, onto the point of all this. How would I use this to flash a gpu? Is there a command I could run on my existing GPU just to confirm this boot cd will be able to be used? Some kind of test to say, OK, I can access the graphics card this way?
Rominator

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 02:49:27 AM »

cd/ into another FAT32 formatted drive that you can read and write to, put an older nvflash version on there

you NEED to do research, no point in me typing it all up over again when others have typed it many times before

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
branflake

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 05:41:04 PM »

Yes, Research. Trying to lay the foundation to get to that. So, when I boot from CD FreeDOS do I want option 2 where I load it without drivers? There are 5 options and I'm not sure which one I should be using. I have tried to insert a fat32 flash drive via usb and type dir b:, dir c:, etc. in an attempt to see that I can connect to another drive and am not getting anywhere. It just says failure to find file or something. Am I doing something wrong? The CD seems to be A: and if I type dir I can see the directory. How am I to know which usb port corresponds to which letter?
Fl0r!an

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 05:44:32 PM »

Option 2 is fine. You need to create a FAT32 volume on any internal drive, USB drivers most likely won't work.
branflake

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 06:33:15 PM »

Internal drive. I see. Would it make more sense to just install DOS to a FAT32 internal drive anyways then? Rather than bother with the CD? I mean, the entire point of the boot disc was more of a convenience type of thing but if I am going to need a FAT32 volume to copy files to I’m wondering what the point of the boot disc is anyways I might as well just have FreeDOS installed on that same volume?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: