netkas.org forum
July 21, 2019, 10:31:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: eGPU Setup Help for OSX  (Read 5312 times)
pixxelpusher
Not Newbie

« on: June 06, 2016, 02:59:02 PM »

Hi all, I've set up a eGPU with the following: AKiTiO Thunder2 Enclosure, EVGA GTX 980, Silverstone SFX 450w modular power supply, Mac Mini Late 2012 (OS X 10.10.5).

I've got all the hardware working together, but how do I get the Mac OS X software to run the enclosure as a eGPU?

Any help would be great, and thanks in advance.
pixxelpusher
Not Newbie

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 06:14:19 PM »

Ok I've managed to get it up and running in OS X using the automated script people keep talking about on GitHub. I'm not sure if there's a better way to get things working? as nothing's been mentioned.

So far the setup is holding strong through a few benchmarks I've done in both Mac and PC Bootcamp, and I haven't had a crash yet. Also starts up every time, don't have to do any weird timing things with my card as some do, just plug it in and switch on the computer.

I've attached the results of some tests I've been doing and it seems to perform similar to when the card is in my Mac Pro desktop, maybe 10-15% performance difference depending on the task. Also I measured the power load taken by the PSU using a wall outlet meter and it measured 211W max during the Heaven benchmark, all other tests were below that amount.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:22:19 PM by pixxelpusher » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 10:37:52 PM »

Good job !

Glad you are enjoying it.

Pretty amazing to have a small low power machine suddenley bumping shoulders with the big boys.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
pixxelpusher
Not Newbie

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 06:21:26 AM »

Yes it is a bit of a game changer!

To have a small portable system that's almost as fast as a full desktop rig is what I've been dreaming about.

I'm planning on using it for VR for both work and play.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: