netkas.org forum
December 11, 2017, 04:25:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Barefeats testing eGPUs  (Read 3983 times)
Rominator

« on: December 19, 2015, 12:23:48 AM »

Netkas & I have beeb at the forefront of eGPU tech for some time now.

We sent a eEFI modded Titan-X to Barefeats for testing.

It operates just like a standard Mac GPU. Boot screen, etc.

http://barefeats.com/tube21.html

Oh, and just one (UNO, SINGLE, ONE) system file has to be modded with our latest eEFI tech. And we have a GTX670 here that can boot and run like a standard Mac GPU, with NO SYSTEM MODS WHATSOEVER.

More news coming.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Fl0r!an

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 03:19:51 PM »

Cool stuff!

Aren't you surprised that the cMP outperforms the eGPU even in synthetic tests like LuxMark, Octane or FurMark? I'd have expected that these tests won't be bottlenecked by PCI bandwidth because everything is executed on the GPU. Or is the TitanX maybe sitting in a small case so it's getting (thermal) throttled?

Do you know how many independent TB controllers the nMP has? I guess for most GP-GPU applications those external Titans could be stacked without compromising bandwidth...?  Cheesy
Rominator

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 06:57:35 AM »

Sadly it is difficult to get more than 1 GPU working at a time, especially in Windows.. The case is rather large so not likely a thermal issue.

More eGPU news coming.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Arch Stanton

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 11:36:21 AM »

Sadly it is difficult to get more than 1 GPU working at a time, especially in Windows.. The case is rather large so not likely a thermal issue.

More eGPU news coming.

Well that's a shame.  I was looking forward (as much as possible) to an external enclosure with 4 980Tis.  A (real) Mac Pro tower that could support this internally would be ideal.  It's looking like a hot rodded cMP, or a nMP with a single external GPU for me.  Dell, Lenovo, or HP boxes for the heavy lifting.

Rominator, Netkas, etc. always enjoy reading about your accomplishments - keep up the good work!

I'm sincerely hoping the eGPU news is that you're launching a turnkey thunderbolt chassis & power supply solution; plug in your own video card and go to town.
Rominator

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 09:27:45 AM »

BF will have another article soon.

As always, eGPU breakthroughs come from MVC and Netkas first.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: