netkas.org forum
July 18, 2019, 09:15:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to select which cuda gpu is used by Adobe premiere ?  (Read 6361 times)
frohsinn1974
Not Newbie

« on: December 18, 2015, 02:05:46 PM »

Hi, got a problem here. As i understand (i.e.) Premiere Pro uses all cuda resources for rendering and exporting. But in playback it only utilizes 1 gpu. In my case it uses the discrete 750m. I experience a huge performance jump in rendering in mediaencoder for example but not during playback in Premiere. So the question is , how can i force Premiere pro CC 2015 to use eGPU for playback?
GPU sniffer detects all cuda gpu's. In my case gt750m and gtx970(eGPU). The problem is that premiere only addresses 1 gpu during playback. As i read somewhere premiere has to choose only one device for playback, because Adobe found it to be to difficult to sync render output of multiple devices in realtime for playback. So they decided to only go on with one device for playback. In my case there are two cuda devices - 750m and gtx970. The process how the app chooses the gpu seems to be a blackbox.
Or is there a way?

The old trick by hacking this text file is not working because there is no text file anymore. GPU is localized by premieres gpu sniffer app automatically. 

SysSpecs:
Macbook Pro 11,3 (late 2013) 15" Retina
Intel Core i7 2,3 GHz
16GB Ram
Intel Iris Pro + nVidia GeForce GT 750m
eGPU/akitio thunderbolt box tb2/nVidia GTX 970
Rominator

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 12:18:12 AM »

Hi, it used to help to be using the GPU you wanted connected to display. Can you try that?

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
frohsinn1974
Not Newbie

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 03:27:46 AM »

Oh, i was to fast posting sorry. So i did not made clear that the eGPU is already connected to two displays. That is not the trick for cuda as it seems.
Rominator

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 06:34:55 AM »

If your laptop display is still running, make sure it isn't the primary display by moving the menu bar to one of the eGPU screens.

You could also try disabling the 750 by removing the kext that loads for it. It would be one with a "K" in the name while the 970 will be run by one with an "M" in it.

This may cause a KP, or screen trouble, I don't know. But best to have an easy way to restore system if it buggers it up.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: