netkas.org forum
May 25, 2019, 12:55:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro  (Read 1164460 times)
lizardking

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2011, 10:22:02 PM »

Unfortunatly it does not worked.
I have eliminated all start up projects and login items
Terminal is the only program loading after restart...same behavior

I installed a software called voodooHDA (http://code.google.com/p/voodoohda/) wich makes the audio device availaibile but the audio outputed has a very low level and is a bit distorted too...unusable

I am out of options
grammataki
Not Newbie

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2011, 12:26:31 AM »

I was in a similar position and it took me a while to realise why it wasn't working.  As I suggested, startup in 64bit without any extra programs (which you have tried doing).  Open up terminal and input each line one by one.  Im not sure if it is relevant to you but also try disconnectinng any audio equipment you may have attached that may be using the audio driver upon boot.  Keep trying as I got it working eventually.  To be honest the audio does sound a little different when I reload the driver not sure how to decribe this (not as loud or crisp).  If I pinpoint a particular way of gettign it working Ill post.  Good luck and enjoy 64 bitness  Wink
jvbfilme
Not Newbie

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2011, 04:48:44 AM »

I´v tried it, but it won´t boot. I see chameleon bootloader and then: error: can´t find mach_kernel.
What am I supposed to do? Can anyone help me?

my system:
Mac Pro 1,1
2 x Dual Core 2,66
7 GB Ram
flashed ATI Radeon 5770
4 HDD (2 x 1 TB, 1 x 250 GB, 1x 320GB)
jvbfilme
Not Newbie

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2011, 01:08:09 PM »

it worked! boot hdd has to be in first slot. thanks!
andystubbs

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2011, 01:08:44 PM »

I´v tried it, but it won´t boot. I see chameleon bootloader and then: error: can´t find mach_kernel.

my system:
Mac Pro 1,1
2 x Dual Core 2,66
7 GB Ram
flashed ATI Radeon 5770

Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to select the correct hdd to boot from rather than just pressing enter or amend the <key>Default Partition</key> in the boot.plist to match the correct drive and partition to boot from.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 01:11:12 PM by andystubbs » Logged
jvbfilme
Not Newbie

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2011, 03:41:52 PM »

Although I´ve tried Sasha´s script, Audio doesn´t work.
eSata Sonnet controller also doesn´t work.
Can anybody help?
jvbfilme
Not Newbie

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2011, 04:11:50 PM »

I installed sonnet esata driver twice again and now my esata drives work! but still no audio.
grammataki
Not Newbie

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2011, 11:53:57 AM »

my system:
Mac Pro 1,1
2 x Dual Core 2,66
7 GB Ram
flashed ATI Radeon 5770

Hi, I had the same issue initially.  I was/am using a two disk RAID set and eventually found out I had to choose the second raid set (both come up in chameleon).  Use the arrow keys to navigate to the second one and you shouldn't have a problem.  If you are getting to the bootloader, it's excellent, you've broken through most barriers people encounter. Let us know how it goes.

p.s. not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but through trial and error I figured out that in the chameleon boot plist file, the drive designation is in reverse:

Hard Drive Bay 1 = 3,x
Hard Drive Bay 2 = 2,x
Hard Drive Bay 3 = 1,x
Hard Drive Nay 4 = 0,x

I figured this out using the rename function in chameleon which highlighted which drives I was changing names for.  Hope this helps some people.

Edit: after reinstalling chameleon from scratch withthe latest update, the drive order seems to have normalised, therefore Bay1=0,x Bay4=3,x.  Not sure if the above issue is related to us with software RAID drives (someone posted in this thread they were seeing a similar issue)

p.p.s. it seems I can only run the bootloader in bay 1 (not 3 or 4 or the ODD ports - probably not in the ODD ports as they are not recognised anyway, hope someone knows a fix for this)

p.p.p.s I also cannot get the script going so I do it manually, Im happy with this for the time being though Smiley
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 05:57:33 AM by grammataki » Logged
andystubbs

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2011, 05:27:34 PM »

Chameleon needs to be installed to whichever hdd your system is trying to boot from - if the mac is trying to boot from the hdd in bay 1 then thats the drive it needs to be installed to.
electropura718

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2011, 05:04:24 AM »

Got it working perfectly in under an hour.  Audio is fine. 

Thanks much.

Thinking about video cards...

Nvidia GeForce GT 120 (for the GUI) and the Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 (for GPU processing) are recommended for DaVinci Resolve.  Will these cards now work in my machine (Mac Pro 1,1 upgraded to Mac Pro 2,1 with 2 x Quad Core 3.0) or am I still screwed by the PCIe bus not being 2.0 ?

grammataki
Not Newbie

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2011, 06:03:50 AM »

Hi again to everyone,

Just reporting that I have managed to get Macpro 1,1 to recognise my ODD sata ports (ports 5 and 6).  It is a matter of extracting the DSDT table using EVO DSDTSE, and fixing issues following instructions on other forums.  All my drives are recognised now.  Last thing to do is to get audio patched in the DSDT.

edit: patched the audio code of the dsdt too and sound is as normal.  

I will post my final results on the insanelymac forum to help others and avoid cluttering this forum with unrelated material.

Edit: Ok this has been done and all ok, please see -> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=273369

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on how this was done.  Thanks again to MacEFIRom and others who have posted on their adventure, allowing me to run my old macpro in full 64 bit with minial issues.  Take care all.  
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 04:40:08 AM by grammataki » Logged
sonymac
Not Newbie

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 11:47:01 PM »

Someone want to test this out on OS X Mountain Lion?
fhenry
Not Newbie

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »

anybody?
Graeme43
Not Newbie

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2012, 12:31:17 PM »

anybody?

I could give it a shot. The only thing I was wondering is what if the setup detects 1,1 and refuses to install?

Mac Pro 1,1  4x2.66
10GB FB-DIMM
Chameleon 2446
Mac OS X 10.8.4
fhenry
Not Newbie

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2012, 01:37:47 PM »

anybody?

I could give it a shot. The only thing I was wondering is what if the setup detects 1,1 and refuses to install?
try it plz !
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: