netkas.org forum
August 23, 2019, 03:13:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro  (Read 1210295 times)
fbriatto2
Not Newbie

« Reply #645 on: September 28, 2012, 05:14:04 PM »

Before I removed this extension I had KPs as well.

Extension removed from Libray/Extensions is

GeForce.kext 1 Apr. 2012 2.2 Mo

The 7300 in slot 4 is just used for the VGA output which gives me the boot screen.
After boot, I have 3 screens connected. 2 on the 6800 (Gigabyte) and one on the 7300.
On the 7300 the only available mode is 1280x1024 (i think it uses a basic / generic VGA driver)
On the 6800 all is "nominal" on the two 6800 DVI connected screens.

System report gives the following

AMD Radeon HD 6870 Series :

Nom:   ATY,Duckweed
  Type:   Contrôleur du moniteur
  Gestionnaire installé:   Oui
  MSI:   Oui
  Bus:   PCI
  Logement:   Slot-1
  Identifiant du fournisseur:   0x1002
  Identifiant du périphérique:   0x6738
  Identifiant du fournisseur du sous-système:   0x1458
  Identifiant du sous-système:   0x21fb
  Identifiant de révision:   0x0000
  Largeur du câble:   x16
  Vitesse de la liaison:   2.5 GT/s

Apple GeForce 7300GT :

Nom:   NVDA,Display-B
  Type:   Contrôleur du moniteur
  Gestionnaire installé:   Oui
  MSI:   Non
  Bus:   PCI
  Logement:   Slot-4
  Identifiant du fournisseur:   0x10de
  Identifiant du périphérique:   0x0393
  Identifiant du fournisseur du sous-système:   0x0000
  Identifiant du sous-système:   0x0400
  Révision de la ROM:    5.73.22.29.A1
  Identifiant de révision:   0x00a1
  Largeur du câble:   x8
  Vitesse de la liaison:   2.5 GT/s

Same for me. 10.8.2 works nicely. I combined it with the latest Chameleon update.
Just a little hassle before I realised that the update delivered a new geforce kext (in Sys/lib/ext).
After removing it, Portal, Aperture and Audio are OK. The only exception is dictation.
Current config.
MacPro1.1 2.66 Ghz, upgraded to MacPro2.1, 3 Ghz 8-core processing (2x X5365), 16 GB RAM (by 8x2 GB),
Apple GeForce 7300GT, AMD RADEON HD 6870 graphics, CalDigit USB3 Adapter, 2x SSDs (OCZ Vertex4, OWC)

Great... but I have two questions:
1- how did you manage to have the 7300GT working (with ML I knew it leads to KP due to its 32bit "soul")?
2- which geforce kext did you remove after updating from S/L/E ?

Thanks in advance
fbriatto2
Not Newbie

« Reply #646 on: September 28, 2012, 05:18:44 PM »

regarding my config, one additional info, sleep does not work. The 7300 apparently induces
a non sleep behavior. I did not test without the 7300 but someone did and it appears to be
the problem. As I dont use sleep anyways... I prefer to keep the boot screen to be able to chose
between Windows 7, OSX 10.8, Snow Leopard (just in case i kep a small disk with SL on it and it
helped me a lot for the initial installation),  or Apple's recovery partition.
jeremiahbarrar
Not Newbie

« Reply #647 on: September 28, 2012, 07:37:43 PM »

I successfully booted the install partition and got all the way through. After install triggered the reboot, computer started up and Chameleon loaded. only one partition was found, the installer. the partition I installed Mountain Lion on was not there. I tried booting the installer again and this time it failed. It loads the kernel, DSDT, SMBios and then it crashed. everything worked before the install.
HaraldSt

« Reply #648 on: September 29, 2012, 01:55:23 AM »

Hi there,

my Mac2.1 (original) is running without any hacked kexts...just needed to patch the DSDT.aml for working sound. But one thing...since MountainLion my USB Webcam don't wakeup after sleep. I have to unplug it from usb - thats all Smiley

ML is working on my machine with Apple Software Raid (stripped mode). Sleep is working well. ICloud and Photostream also working.

other strange issues:
- magic mouse is slow and stucking
- chameleon is booting after 2min wait time (nothing happens - grey screen)

May be the chameleon sucks with Raid.

my Config:
- 2.5HDD on SuperDrive Slot with 1GB MBR Partition and Chameleon on it
- booting in Legacy Mode (seems not to be necessary)

may be someone has a solution to fix up the boot time...

regards.

Your RAID could be an issue, since the boot is using Legacy.

Chameleon/Legacy in general is slower. It takes about a minute for my system to get to login. I ran into an issue with REALLY slow boot after a crash. It took ~ 5min, with the Chameleon GUI screen drawing like molasses. I tried the usual - disk repair, permissions, restoring the MBR label on boot, reinstalling Chameleon etc.

Nothing worked. I finally did the cmd-option-P-R parameter reset, which I should have done first. Fixed it!
orsodimare
Not Newbie

« Reply #649 on: October 01, 2012, 01:54:08 PM »

regarding my config, one additional info, sleep does not work. The 7300 apparently induces
a non sleep behavior. I did not test without the 7300 but someone did and it appears to be
the problem. As I dont use sleep anyways... I prefer to keep the boot screen to be able to chose
between Windows 7, OSX 10.8, Snow Leopard (just in case i kep a small disk with SL on it and it
helped me a lot for the initial installation),  or Apple's recovery partition.

I don't care about "SLEEP" too, on the contrary I am missing a lot the boot screen: so I'm going to give your workaround a chance !!!
thanks a lot.
rezwits
Not Newbie

« Reply #650 on: October 19, 2012, 05:21:26 AM »

Hey fbriatto2,

Can you boot off that CalDigit (fasta-6gu3) eSata/USB3 PCIe card using an eSata drive with a ccc clone of your Mountain Lion install??  Would love to hear if that's possible??  I like having removable bootable backup storage connected, instead of using hd bays.

Let me know PLEASE Thanks..., oh well I guess after looking at it you only have the USB3 card.

Does anyone have the CalDigit fasta-6gu3? Booting Mountain Lion??

Same for me. 10.8.2 works nicely. I combined it with the latest Chameleon update.
Just a little hassle before I realised that the update delivered a new geforce kext (in Sys/lib/ext).
After removing it, Portal, Aperture and Audio are OK. The only exception is dictation.
Dictation worked randomly in 10.8.1 but currently not any more.

In the log i see a : kAFAssistantErrorDomain error 208
If someone has an idea... Thanks to all.

Current config.
MacPro1.1 2.66 Ghz, upgraded to MacPro2.1, 3 Ghz 8-core processing (2x X5365), 16 GB RAM (by 8x2 GB),
Apple GeForce 7300GT, AMD RADEON HD 6870 graphics, CalDigit USB3 Adapter, 2x SSDs (OCZ Vertex4, OWC)

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 05:23:05 AM by rezwits » Logged
creality
Not Newbie

« Reply #651 on: October 19, 2012, 02:06:36 PM »

Thanks to HaraldSt. I will try this.

Update today:

It seems that my Mac is going crazy. After long time of working correctly now is the time for killing him. My apps dont start anymore. Adobe Lightroom some PS Plugings, Keynote, Pages and Aperture (all legal copys) stopped working. The issue is everytime when I need to restart my Mac. Once installed all is good...restart it and all sucks.

Dont know what to do.  Angry Angry Angry

MacPro 2,1 | 32GB | Software RAID | 2xXeon | 4x2TB HDDs | 30" Display
HaraldSt

« Reply #652 on: October 19, 2012, 11:44:37 PM »

Thanks to HaraldSt. I will try this.

Update today:

It seems that my Mac is going crazy. After long time of working correctly now is the time for killing him. My apps dont start anymore. Adobe Lightroom some PS Plugings, Keynote, Pages and Aperture (all legal copys) stopped working. The issue is everytime when I need to restart my Mac. Once installed all is good...restart it and all sucks.

Dont know what to do.  Angry Angry Angry
Those all sound like apps with some form of DRM. Check to make sure, your serial # and UDID are not changing. You can find these in the first screen of System Information. Together with the ethernet MAC address, these are often used to unlock sw on a system, while prevent it from being copied.
fbriatto2
Not Newbie

« Reply #653 on: October 21, 2012, 01:21:37 AM »

rezwits,

nope.

I am currently usinf CCC & the USB3 to have a full backup of my boot disc, but the chameleon loader does not
see the caldigit east/USB3 ports. They ae only recognised and operational AFTER the macOS boot sequence
from my 1st SATA drive.

Anyways, if anyone is able to boot from the calldigit card, I would be interested as well, even if I generally prefer to keep my 2 SSD boot drives
on the internal ports (OSX on Bay 1, WIN7 on Bay2) mainly for performance reasons.

[ author=rezwits link=topic=1123.msg16332#msg16332 date=1350620486]
Hey fbriatto2,

Can you boot off that CalDigit (fasta-6gu3) eSata/USB3 PCIe card using an eSata drive with a ccc clone of your Mountain Lion install??  Would love to hear if that's possible??  I like having removable bootable backup storage connected, instead of using hd bays.

Let me know PLEASE Thanks..., oh well I guess after looking at it you only have the USB3 card.

Does anyone have the CalDigit fasta-6gu3? Booting Mountain Lion??

Dictation worked randomly in 10.8.1 but currently not any more.

In the log i see a : kAFAssistantErrorDomain error 208
If someone has an idea... Thanks to all.

Current config.

[/quote]
fbriatto2
Not Newbie

« Reply #654 on: October 21, 2012, 01:25:54 AM »

Additional note.
DICTATION started working... dont know why... did not change anything.
Probably a server side problem solved.

perpacity
Not Newbie

« Reply #655 on: October 22, 2012, 12:24:55 PM »

Time for a new mac I suppose.  Huh
fbriatto2
Not Newbie

« Reply #656 on: October 23, 2012, 12:43:32 AM »

No way, i will not leave the 1.1 upped to 2.1 which is know working soo good with the 6870.
Will move only if the new MAC does provides at least :
- thunderbird
- openess to PC VID CARDS (high end)
- huge gain (x5 minimum) in performance compared to my 8 cores @3GHZ (Xeon X5365)
- same HDD modularity as MACPRO
- maybee USB3

Really happy with ML10.8.2 full 64 and everything running fine.

fbriatto2
Not Newbie

« Reply #657 on: October 23, 2012, 12:45:51 AM »

THUNDERBOLD  Grin for sure !

No way, i will not leave the 1.1 upped to 2.1 which is know working soo good with the 6870.
Will move only if the new MAC does provides at least :
- thunderbird
- openess to PC VID CARDS (high end)
- huge gain (x5 minimum) in performance compared to my 8 cores @3GHZ (Xeon X5365)
- same HDD modularity as MACPRO
- maybee USB3

Really happy with ML10.8.2 full 64 and everything running fine.

HaraldSt

« Reply #658 on: November 05, 2012, 05:12:40 PM »

Has anybody tried to boot from a Fusion drive via Chameleon?
I am not sure of the level of compatibility of Core Storage with legacy mode, but it might be readable. The magic of the tiered storage management only happens during idle time...
armdn

« Reply #659 on: November 06, 2012, 04:20:10 PM »

Has anybody tried to boot from a Fusion drive via Chameleon?
I am not sure of the level of compatibility of Core Storage with legacy mode, but it might be readable. The magic of the tiered storage management only happens during idle time...

I Think it is not a problem. You can crate FD, install 10.8 on it, and for Chameleon use another drive. I have a software RAID-0 which is in GPT and no problems.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: