netkas.org forum
September 22, 2020, 12:35:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro  (Read 1366688 times)
andystubbs

« Reply #615 on: August 28, 2012, 07:52:37 PM »

Maybe you mean "smbios.plist". In this case, it's not possible to add an SMCversion key, because chamaleon don't know that key.

No I mean download the source for chameleon, edit the smbios.c file to use a different version then recompile and test it works before asking the developers to make any changes!

Actually skip that - is the SMC Version not derived from the SMbiosversion string in the smbios.plist? And if not why not install FakeSMC.kext to see if that cures the problem before asking for changes which may or may not help?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 06:38:24 AM by andystubbs » Logged
ant0
Not Newbie

« Reply #616 on: August 29, 2012, 03:17:34 PM »

You right! Maybe I'm too hurry. I have to test before ask. However.... I haven't ask anything to developer, yet. I don't have a lot of free time, so I'll test the "fakesmc way" ASAP.
By the way....I've updated to Chamaleon r2050 and activated C-state and P-state. Waiting for KP on this config.
Have a nice day.

P.S. I've found a nice app to autoupdate chamaleon and for a quick graphic config of smbios.plist and other things. It's called "champlist" and you can download here:
http://www.osx86.net/cat/2-bootloaders.html

Maybe you mean "smbios.plist". In this case, it's not possible to add an SMCversion key, because chamaleon don't know that key.

No I mean download the source for chameleon, edit the smbios.c file to use a different version then recompile and test it works before asking the developers to make any changes!

Actually skip that - is the SMC Version not derived from the SMbiosversion string in the smbios.plist? And if not why not install FakeSMC.kext to see if that cures the problem before asking for changes which may or may not help?

andystubbs

« Reply #617 on: August 29, 2012, 03:47:01 PM »

P.S. I've found a nice app to autoupdate chamaleon and for a quick graphic config of smbios.plist and other things. It's called "champlist" and you can download here:
http://www.osx86.net/cat/2-bootloaders.html

ChameleonWizard is very nice for this too http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=257464
PTuser
Not Newbie

« Reply #618 on: September 02, 2012, 10:24:26 PM »

Hi
First post - I ran the Macefi instructions and my Mac Pro 8 core 2.1 is now booting 64 bit. I need a fix that works for audio as I haven't been able to get it going. I tried one of the workarounds but it didnt come back....Its a must as it is messing with Protools HD and its drivers, so would appreciate some help....

Im on 10.7.4 right now but will hopefully move on to mountain lion in the next few weeks if there are no more issues....
armdn

« Reply #619 on: September 03, 2012, 05:28:07 AM »

Did you fixed your DSDT??
PTuser
Not Newbie

« Reply #620 on: September 03, 2012, 08:25:27 AM »

Hi
I tried Sascha_77s workaround but the terminal would not accept the script. Is there another way or a file I can grab?
PTuser
Not Newbie

« Reply #621 on: September 03, 2012, 09:06:01 AM »

Here's what I did to get my system working with the 64 bit kernel in both Lion and Mountain Lion DP3.  Hopefully I have not forgotten or misremembered anything‚Ķ.

The Machine:

Mac Pro 2,1 (formerly a 1,1)
8 x 3 GHZ Xeon  32 GB RAM
(when running EFI 32, I had an ATI 4670, now have an unflashed PC version of Nvidia Geforce 470)

Download the files in MacEFIRom's original post at the start of this thread.  I will also post my modified files, that suit my particular setup and hardware.  You may need to modify them if your hardware is different than mine.

1) Formatted a drive with two partitions, using MBR, HFS+ Journaled.  One small partition (1GB) named "Boot" for the boot loader.  The rest used for storage space, but is not my main Mac OS install.  This drive is installed in the drive bay closest to the back of the machine.  My Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2 install is in the drive bay closest to the front of the machine.

2) Installed Chimera 1.9.1.   Base install only.  This is instead of the original suggestion to use Chameleon 2.0 RC2-r640.   (Chimera 1.9.1 supports Mountain Lion and can support multiple Nvidia cards with Graphics Enabler=YES)  Chimera is a variant of Chameleon.

3) Copy MacEFIRom's smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist to Boot/Extra on the Boot partition. If this directory does not yet exist, create it.

4) Performed the following modifications on smbios.plist

<key>SMproductname</key>
        <string>MacPro2,1</string>
        <key>SMsystemversion</key>
        <string>1.0</string>
        <key>SMmaximalclock</key>
        <string>3000</string>
        <key>SMsystemboard</key>
        <string>Mac-F4208DC8</string>
        <key>SMbiosversion</key>
        <string>MP21.88Z.007F.B06.0707021348</string>
        <key>SMcputype</key>
        <string>1026</string>
        <key>SMserial</key>
        <string>YOUR SERIAL NUMBER HERE</string>

Performed the following modifications on org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>Default Partition</key>
   <string>hd(3,2)</string>
        <key>Graphics Mode</key>
        <string>1920x1200x32</string>    
   <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
   <string>Yes</string>
   <key>Kernel</key>
   <string>mach_kernel</string>
   <key>Kernel Flags</key>
   <string></string>
   <key>Timeout</key>
   <string>2</string>

6) Add the attached DSDT file to Boot/Extra.  Without this DSDT file, your built in audio and extra internal SATA ports on the motherboard (if you are using them) will cease to function.  If you want to delve into what I did in the DSDT file, you can open it in a program called DSDTSE and compare to your unmodified extracted DSDT from your motherboard.  Thanks to Grammataki for pointing me in the right direction for this stuff.

5) Bless the new partition using Terminal

sudo bless --folder /Volumes/Boot --file /Volumes/Boot/boot --setBoot --legacy

6) Reboot.  You should be booting with the 64 bit kernel.  

If you want to return to the normal EFI32 boot, use the System Preferences>Startup Volume. To boot the 64 bit kernel again, issue the above terminal command again.

If everything is running well, and you want to install Mountain Lion DP3 on another drive, follow the procedure  I will detail in subsequent posts.   I would not use a Developer Preview as my main OS.

Thanks to everyone in the thread for their contributions.  Thanks to MacEFIRom for starting it all.  He did the bulk of the work in making this a viable option.  Thanks to Grammataki for pointing me in the right direction on DSDT.

I cant find the attached DSDT file mentioned in this post?..

I now have audio devices up and running - however I run Protools HD/Native and am running into issues with the Avid core audio driver. Anyone else using PT10HD with chameleon?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:21:55 PM by PTuser » Logged
palba
Not Newbie

« Reply #622 on: September 03, 2012, 11:29:23 AM »

I'm a big Mac Pro fan, and I own both a 2006 and 2010 Mac Pro. After writing the firmware tools for these systems, I started to feel like the 2006 Mac Pro didn't get much of a boost from the 2007 firmware upgrade, unlike the 2009 upgrade, which unlocked a lot of potential. I'm also a big hackintosh fan, and I've built numerous platforms going back to 2006, when it all began. I started doing some research on booting the 64 bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro. As you probably know, these Macs have a 32 bit EFI implementation, so the Mac OS can only boot the 32 bit kernel. This is of course an arbitrary decision on Apple's part, as the Xeon CPUs in all the Mac Pros are certainly 64 bit capable. There's been some posts on this forum, as well as some earlier posts by netkas on the subject, about using the Chameleon bootloader to load the OS, since in theory, this should be a pretty darn compatible hackintosh! I attempted to configure the system to boot in this manner, using all of the information available in these posts, but all of the information and suggestions available are close, but none of them get everything right. I did successfully accomplish this, and I can say that it works very well, with the only thing not recognized and working is the built-in audio. This can probably be fixed with some additional work, and maybe someone else can suggest some settings to accomplish this, but right now, with this guide, you can boot the 2007 Mac Pro (of course my 2006 has been upgraded to 2007) in 64 bit kernel mode, and the system works 100%, with sleep, shutdown, networking, CPU identification working properly. If you are using the original nVidia 7300GT, you will have to use a more modern graphics card that the Chameleon bootloader can understand. Also, since this is booting like a hackintosh, you don't have to use a flashed card, or actual Apple card (although you can if you want) just any PC card that is currently working with the modern bootloaders, which is quite nice.

It's actually pretty easy once you know what to do and how to configure everything. In essence you will be booting the Mac Pro in what's called "Legacy Mode" which is Apple's way of saying a normal PC BIOS environment, not the EFI32 environment. One of the things I struggled with is that Apple's EFI implementation will not boot any sort of USB or Firewire storage in "Legacy Mode", so this has to be done on an internal hard drive. The Chameleon boot partition can be on a separate drive in the system or on an additional partition. The separate drive has the benefit of not having to touch the Mac OS partition at all, so it is very clean, but requires using a drive sled spot or using an additional drive in the optical bay area. In either case, the system can be booted the original way via the EFI32 mode, or the chameleon way for 64 bit kernel, so it's a very flexible solution.

Here is the guide:

If you are using a single drive, partition the drive with 2 partitions, both HFS+, using the MBR option. Name the 1st partition Boot, and make it 1GB in size. The 2nd partition will hold your normal Mac OS installation.

If you are using a separate drive, partition using MBR, choose HFS+, and name it Boot.

Install the older Chameleon bootloader, the filename is Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg, you can easily find it on the web. Choose the Boot partition, and deselect all the options except the bootloader.

To delete the original boot file, type this command, via the Terminal:

rm /Volumes/Boot/boot

You can use any of the modern Chameleon bootloader files, you will only need the boot file. You can find installer packages all over the Internet for this, so don't ask here. If it's already in an installer package, you can use Pacifist to extract it. Copy this file to the Boot volume, at the root. I've included the one I used in my testing, so you can use this one as well.

Copy the attached smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist to Boot/Extra, and if you have any themes you want to use copy these to the Boot/Extra folder as well. If you don't know how the Chameleon bootloader works, or about themes, or anything else related to the hackintosh, don't ask here, there are plenty of forums on the Internet for that.

If you are using a single drive, use this in the org.chamleeon.Boot.plist file (this is in the supplied file):

<string>hd(0,2)</string>

If you are using a separate drive, use this in the org.chamleeon.Boot.plist file:

<string>hd(1,2)</string>

The actual serial number can't be extracted from the system, so you can put your serial number in by editing this in the smbios.plist file:

<key>SMserial</key>
        <string>G666666PUPZ</string>

In order to boot the system this way, you have to bless the new Boot partition in a special way, via the Terminal:

If you want to return to the normal EFI32 boot, use the System Preferences>Startup Volume. To boot the 64 bit kernel again, issue the above terminal command again.

In my testing I haven't run into any issues other than the sound, and benchmarking is right where it should be at for a 64 bit kernel. I hope you enjoy the benefits of extending the value of your 2006 or 2007 Mac Pro, or being able to change your system back and forth from the 32 to 64 bit kernel for development purposes.

Hi,
I've done all this step!
I'm running Macos 10.7.4 on my mac pro 1.1 2006 on a RAID 5 SET. I've created the new Boot partition on an external sata disk.
The result is that the system doesn't start and the apple icon exchange with the broken folder.
How can I do? Where I'm wrong?
Many thanks in advance!
Best regards
Paul
PeterHolbrook
Not Newbie

« Reply #623 on: September 03, 2012, 01:12:51 PM »

I suggest that you read http://www.jabbawok.net/?p=47, paying attention to every single syllable of the procedure and doing things accordingly.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 01:58:46 PM by PeterHolbrook » Logged
orsodimare
Not Newbie

« Reply #624 on: September 04, 2012, 10:36:23 AM »

I've created the new Boot partition on an external sata disk.
The result is that the system doesn't start and the apple icon exchange with the broken folder.
Many thanks in advance!
Best regards
Paul

As written in the guide, the boot disk must be internal, you have just to un-box your external disk and put it in one of the internal slot, that's all ...
palba
Not Newbie

« Reply #625 on: September 04, 2012, 03:14:12 PM »

I've created the new Boot partition on an external sata disk.
Many thanks in advance!
Best regards
Paul

As written in the guide, the boot disk must be internal, you have just to un-box your external disk and put it in one of the internal slot, that's all ...

Oh I see... I' ve figured out that the "external" sata is connected to the internal sata port, all the bay are occupied by the raid set.
I've tried to know if there is a way to shrink the RAID SET size without data loss.
Furthermore with my actual configuration can be a different hd number set:
   <string>hd(2,2)</string>
I,ve tried 1,2 / 3,2 but nothing happen.
Many thanks in advance
Paul
electropura718

« Reply #626 on: September 04, 2012, 04:45:05 PM »

Here's what I did to get my system working with the 64 bit kernel in both Lion and Mountain Lion DP3.  Hopefully I have not forgotten or misremembered anything‚Ķ.

The Machine:

Mac Pro 2,1 (formerly a 1,1)
8 x 3 GHZ Xeon  32 GB RAM
(when running EFI 32, I had an ATI 4670, now have an unflashed PC version of Nvidia Geforce 470)

Download the files in MacEFIRom's original post at the start of this thread.  I will also post my modified files, that suit my particular setup and hardware.  You may need to modify them if your hardware is different than mine.

1) Formatted a drive with two partitions, using MBR, HFS+ Journaled.  One small partition (1GB) named "Boot" for the boot loader.  The rest used for storage space, but is not my main Mac OS install.  This drive is installed in the drive bay closest to the back of the machine.  My Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2 install is in the drive bay closest to the front of the machine.

2) Installed Chimera 1.9.1.   Base install only.  This is instead of the original suggestion to use Chameleon 2.0 RC2-r640.   (Chimera 1.9.1 supports Mountain Lion and can support multiple Nvidia cards with Graphics Enabler=YES)  Chimera is a variant of Chameleon.

3) Copy MacEFIRom's smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist to Boot/Extra on the Boot partition. If this directory does not yet exist, create it.

4) Performed the following modifications on smbios.plist

<key>SMproductname</key>
        <string>MacPro2,1</string>
        <key>SMsystemversion</key>
        <string>1.0</string>
        <key>SMmaximalclock</key>
        <string>3000</string>
        <key>SMsystemboard</key>
        <string>Mac-F4208DC8</string>
        <key>SMbiosversion</key>
        <string>MP21.88Z.007F.B06.0707021348</string>
        <key>SMcputype</key>
        <string>1026</string>
        <key>SMserial</key>
        <string>YOUR SERIAL NUMBER HERE</string>

Performed the following modifications on org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<string>hd(3,2)</string>
        <key>Graphics Mode</key>
        <string>1920x1200x32</string>    
   <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
   <string>Yes</string>
   <key>Kernel</key>
   <string>mach_kernel</string>
   <key>Kernel Flags</key>
   <string></string>
   <key>Timeout</key>
   <string>2</string>

6) Add the attached DSDT file to Boot/Extra.  Without this DSDT file, your built in audio and extra internal SATA ports on the motherboard (if you are using them) will cease to function.  If you want to delve into what I did in the DSDT file, you can open it in a program called DSDTSE and compare to your unmodified extracted DSDT from your motherboard.  Thanks to Grammataki for pointing me in the right direction for this stuff.

5) Bless the new partition using Terminal

6) Reboot.  You should be booting with the 64 bit kernel.  

If everything is running well, and you want to install Mountain Lion DP3 on another drive, follow the procedure  I will detail in subsequent posts.   I would not use a Developer Preview as my main OS.

Thanks to everyone in the thread for their contributions.  Thanks to MacEFIRom for starting it all.  He did the bulk of the work in making this a viable option.  Thanks to Grammataki for pointing me in the right direction on DSDT.

I cant find the attached DSDT file mentioned in this post?..

I now have audio devices up and running - however I run Protools HD/Native and am running into issues with the Avid core audio driver. Anyone else using PT10HD with chameleon?

The attachments only show up if you are logged in.  Register for a login and you should be able to download my Extra folder.   My system is running Avid Media Composer 6, which is having no problems.  No idea about ProTools, but I think it uses the same core audio components.  You might need to reinstal ProToolsl, after getting 64 bit up and running, to make sure you are using 64 bit components.  If you installed ProTools while running the 32 bit kernel, it might not have installed all the proper components for 64 bit operation.

PTuser
Not Newbie

« Reply #627 on: September 10, 2012, 10:55:12 PM »

Hi
Thanks for responding - I have those filesw. Im having trouble tracking down a mac download for Chimera 1.9.1. The latest I can find is 10.6.2?
PTuser
Not Newbie

« Reply #628 on: September 11, 2012, 07:52:36 AM »

I meant 1.6.2 Smiley)
PTuser
Not Newbie

« Reply #629 on: September 11, 2012, 11:41:38 AM »

I now have the Chimera 1.9.1 installer. I have followed instructions and modified the plist to use my start up osx drive location  (0,2) but I just get the restart screen of death after darwin does its thing Huh?? - so Im stuck. Macefiroms original post works however I wanted the chimera one as I will upgrade to ML if it works ok on lion.

The dsdt file def goes in the extra folder?

One last thing. My mac is an 8 core 2,1. Its got 32 bit kernel which is why I want to go down this route. I dont know if that makes a difference to the chimera workaround. It worked ok with macefiroms so hopefully not..
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:44:05 AM by PTuser » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: