netkas.org forum
May 25, 2019, 12:50:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro  (Read 1164456 times)
HaraldSt

« Reply #555 on: August 08, 2012, 04:50:39 PM »

How can I remove Chameleon completely, or especially clear the MBR.
I also have Boot Camp, and managed to boot Windows 7 from Chameleon. Somehow, that stopped working.

I cleared the Boot partition, but the chameleon boot loader still tries to load instead of the MBR for Windows on another disk.

I would hate to have to repartition this disk...
armdn

« Reply #556 on: August 08, 2012, 07:03:44 PM »

I just found a script called get_acpitables that I ran on snow leopard and copied the dsdt and ssdt files to my Extra folder. Seems to be working fine for me.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=215844

EDIT: Spoke too soon, turns out I dumped a patched DSDT file. I lost odd sata.

You must to patch your DSDT with SATA fix ant other fixes.
HaraldSt

« Reply #557 on: August 08, 2012, 10:32:24 PM »

I just found a script called get_acpitables that I ran on snow leopard and copied the dsdt and ssdt files to my Extra folder. Seems to be working fine for me.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=215844

EDIT: Spoke too soon, turns out I dumped a patched DSDT file. I lost odd sata.

You must to patch your DSDT with SATA fix ant other fixes.

I have looked for this fix and not found it, could you provide a pointer to a working version?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:07:39 PM by HaraldSt » Logged
HaraldSt

« Reply #558 on: August 08, 2012, 10:34:50 PM »

How can I remove Chameleon completely, or especially clear the MBR.
I also have Boot Camp, and managed to boot Windows 7 from Chameleon. Somehow, that stopped working.

I cleared the Boot partition, but the chameleon boot loader still tries to load instead of the MBR for Windows on another disk.

I would hate to have to repartition this disk...
Found the solution, it was not Chameleon's fault. The MBR on he bootcamp disk was corrupted. I used the old trick of resizing the HFS partition slightly on that disk, then bringing it back to full size, which made Disk utility fix that error.

Chameleon still grabs ALL legacy boots, but you can load Windows from it's boot menu.
HaraldSt

« Reply #559 on: August 09, 2012, 02:57:18 AM »

Grammataki made mistake in SATA fix, his code will cause to report ESB2 as ICH7-M and all SATA drives as external. I corrected this, so code for SATA must be look:

Code:
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                                {
                                        Store (Package (0x02)
                                                {
                                                        "device-id",
                                                        Buffer (0x04)
                                                        {
                                                                0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00
                                                        }
                                                }, Local0)
                                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                                        Return (Local0)
                                }
I get a compile error, when trying to use DSDT Editor with this - most likely caused by lack of matching brackets here: "}, Local0)"

Anybody have correct syntax?
HaraldSt

« Reply #560 on: August 09, 2012, 05:10:30 AM »

It looks like SSDs are not recognized as solid state, and there is no way to enable TRIM? At least not on my Corsair  Force 3...
Has anybody run into this?
Is there an SMBios.plist entry to further define SATA driver properties?
The problem is that legacy boot and Chameleon keep the Intel SATA chipset in emulation mode, not AHCI. This also has a performance impact. I have not found any Chameleon option to have it change to AHCI.

Apart from being limited in speed, this disables internal ports (used by my Blue Ray addition), and prevents SSD recognition.

Is there a way to use an AHCI port injection driver?
Ok, found the correct dsdt.aml. It still does not fix the audio completely (line out is not working correctly), but I am using Firewire or display audio anyway. I have trim enabled, the internal SATA Blue Ray is there, and I have tweaked the parameters to show all details correctly except for the UUID, which does not seem to carry through (I am trying to keep everything the same as Lion.)
Now, for a GUI interface, since I always get the Chameleon loader except after Parameter Reset. Lion also boot into 64 bit mode, and my Boot Camp can also be selected.
konran

« Reply #561 on: August 09, 2012, 01:03:18 PM »

Chameleon still grabs ALL legacy boots, but you can load Windows from it's boot menu.

I wouldn't boot Windows/BootCamp via legacy boot method with Chameleon because some drivers don't like it so much. I keep Win 7 x64 on a separate MBR disk and patched the boot sector to get advanced Intel AHCI performance drivers working (you can Google for this procedure). The advantage is that BootCamp performs quite fast with it but a (slight) disadvantage is that legacy boot causes KP on Win7. So I always have to boot Win7 by holding option key and select the second Windows icon (the first one is always Chameleon) - thus leaving legacy boot mode.

MacPro2,1(1,1) 2 x Intel Xeon Dual Core 3 GHz, 10 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 250/750/750 GB HDD, nVidia 8800 GTS, Eizo EV2333W, Eizo L768 TFT, Mighty Mouse, Apple Alu Keyboard, OS X 10.7.4
RunesOfMagic
Not Newbie

« Reply #562 on: August 09, 2012, 06:57:57 PM »

Hey,

after one week it works most of the time - but sometimes system just freezes inside work, not clear from logs why.
I'm using sleep mode, which works (automatic sleep / awake) - but in /var/log/zzz i still get messages (from SleepServicesD) that this Platform is not supported on each start/awake?

(MacPro 2,1 (org. 1,1), with chameleon, DSDT-File and ML 10.Cool

How about you ?

bye

HaraldSt

« Reply #563 on: August 10, 2012, 05:41:59 AM »

I wouldn't boot Windows/BootCamp via legacy boot method with Chameleon because some drivers don't like it so much. I keep Win 7 x64 on a separate MBR disk and patched the boot sector to get advanced Intel AHCI performance drivers working (you can Google for this procedure). The advantage is that BootCamp performs quite fast with it but a (slight) disadvantage is that legacy boot causes KP on Win7. So I always have to boot Win7 by holding option key and select the second Windows icon (the first one is always Chameleon) - thus leaving legacy boot mode.
Yeah, I gave up on AHCI except when I need to flash the SSD firmware. AHCI enabler does a nice job going back and forth, but now I pull the disk with Chameleon first, and do a PRAM reset.
astro201

« Reply #564 on: August 10, 2012, 11:48:19 AM »

Hi all,

thanks for all the useful information. I have a Mac Pro 1,1, and am successfully running Chameleon on it to boot into either Lion or Mountain Lion in 64 bit mode via
legacy mode. This all works fine if the Chameleon Boot partition is in the built-in SATA bays 1-4, but Chameleon does not recognize partitions to boot from in the extra SATA ports 5&6 (also known as ODD ports). If I boot e.g. Mountain Lion on a partition in bays 1-4, it recognizes drives connected via the ODD ports fine (as internal drives).

So, my question: Has anyone successfully managed to install the Chameleon Boot partition in bays 1-4, and then actually boot from a disk connected via the ODD ports?
This all seems to have to do with AHCI vs legacy mode, and probably will require coding support inside Chameleon to detect the 5&6th SATA port via AHCI mode switching, rather then relying on DSDT patching of the OS to be booted (as that can only happen AFTER the extra drive has been detected).

Any suggestions or solutions welcome! Also, if this is absolutely not possible, please also tell me, because then I can stop looking for solutions!
HaraldSt

« Reply #565 on: August 11, 2012, 03:58:43 AM »

Hi all,

thanks for all the useful information. I have a Mac Pro 1,1, and am successfully running Chameleon on it to boot into either Lion or Mountain Lion in 64 bit mode via
legacy mode. This all works fine if the Chameleon Boot partition is in the built-in SATA bays 1-4, but Chameleon does not recognize partitions to boot from in the extra SATA ports 5&6 (also known as ODD ports). If I boot e.g. Mountain Lion on a partition in bays 1-4, it recognizes drives connected via the ODD ports fine (as internal drives).

So, my question: Has anyone successfully managed to install the Chameleon Boot partition in bays 1-4, and then actually boot from a disk connected via the ODD ports?
This all seems to have to do with AHCI vs legacy mode, and probably will require coding support inside Chameleon to detect the 5&6th SATA port via AHCI mode switching, rather then relying on DSDT patching of the OS to be booted (as that can only happen AFTER the extra drive has been detected).

Any suggestions or solutions welcome! Also, if this is absolutely not possible, please also tell me, because then I can stop looking for solutions!

Chameleon and Windows use Legacy boot, which runs the SATA controller in emulation and not AHCI mode. Until AHCI is turned on, the extra ports are not there. Legacy boot only works on the internal SATA controller.
I have placed Chameleon on the same disk as Mountain Lion. It uses "Boot Camp" partitioning, where the GUID is mirrored to MBR. As you point out, with the proper DSDT.aml, AHCI is turned on and the extra ports are there, but only after boot. This is where my Blue Ray/2nd DVD is connected.
Given the hybrid partitioning, this is not that restrictive.
My biggest hassle is having to do a native Windows boot from Chameleon, and Chameleon booting is slow, slow, slow...
Graeme43
Not Newbie

« Reply #566 on: August 11, 2012, 09:05:34 AM »

Has anyone tried the 10.8.1 beta yet to see if it kills boot?

Mac Pro 1,1  4x2.66
10GB FB-DIMM
Chameleon 2446
Mac OS X 10.8.4
HaraldSt

« Reply #567 on: August 11, 2012, 04:31:41 PM »

Is there an smbios.plist entry to control the reported graphics card? Mine is only reported as generic ATI 4800.
PeterHolbrook
Not Newbie

« Reply #568 on: August 12, 2012, 08:48:40 PM »

Has anyone been able to iron out the "Errors parsing plist"? I think that, like others, I've double-checked repeatedly the contents of both smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist and failed to see any errors. I don't suppose any possible internal errors in dsdt.aml would cause such a message. Can the error be in the Chameleon boot itself or in some auxiliary file in Library or use?
electropura718

« Reply #569 on: August 13, 2012, 05:49:16 AM »

Has anyone been able to iron out the "Errors parsing plist"? I think that, like others, I've double-checked repeatedly the contents of both smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist and failed to see any errors. I don't suppose any possible internal errors in dsdt.aml would cause such a message. Can the error be in the Chameleon boot itself or in some auxiliary file in Library or use?

I know you double-checked, but the parsing error is almost definitely a syntax error.  Download my Extra folder and change the info for your machine where needed. Be careful about what you change.

My post that has my Extra folder attached is currently on page 16.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: