netkas.org forum
May 26, 2019, 11:02:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro  (Read 1166596 times)
Rominator

« Reply #525 on: July 31, 2012, 08:17:35 AM »

I just read the thread, it is very promising in that it alters boot efi file to tell it that it can boot 64 bit kernel on 1,1 or 2,1.

Biggest issue for MP 1,1 and 2,1 is that 4GB of RAM is only part that gets mapped right, so having more creates problems, though another guy has 8 GB working.

Maybe it needs to be multiple of 4?

But it does look like a decent work around for some

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
pjdgilmour
Not Newbie

« Reply #526 on: August 01, 2012, 03:11:11 AM »

I am using the Mountain Lion in a Mac Pro 1.1 (2.1 update), without the chameleon. I changed the install dmg according to this post and also this http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1404548 http://www.jabbawok.net/?p=47. This working perfect. The sound is ok.
Only time that this boot a little slow, it seems that the HD sleeps during the boot.

* promlion01.jpg (241.19 KB, 1920x1200 - viewed 612 times.)

Mac Pro 2.1 (2x E5335)  - 2.1 now, firmware tool! :-)
8 GB RAM
Radeon 5870 Apple
HP LP2475W
Alesis IO 26 Firewire
M-Audio BX5
dbculp
Not Newbie

« Reply #527 on: August 01, 2012, 03:29:35 AM »

I just read the thread, it is very promising in that it alters boot efi file to tell it that it can boot 64 bit kernel on 1,1 or 2,1.
Biggest issue for MP 1,1 and 2,1 is that 4GB of RAM is only part that gets mapped right, so having more creates problems, though another guy has 8 GB working.
Maybe it needs to be multiple of 4?  But it does look like a decent work around for some
I just ran Rember to make sure, all 16 GB of my RAM is running right.  I've pulled out my GeForce 7300, the only graphics card in now is a 6870, and sleep works.  I've tested all the hardware and apps, everything works. Geekbench score is 6974 compared to 6180 from my 32-bit Lion (same hardware configuration).

* Rember Test 10.8 664-bit.png (67.5 KB, 567x450 - viewed 618 times.)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:42:17 AM by dbculp » Logged

MacPro 1,1: 2 x 3 GHz with 16 GB RAM, OWC SSD, XFX 6870 ZNFC
OS X 10.8 64-bit via Chameleon -r2030
perpacity
Not Newbie

« Reply #528 on: August 02, 2012, 10:58:54 AM »

So here’s my dilemma. I keep getting a KP that says “Unable to find a driver for this platform “ACPI”…IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1546″

I’m running a MP1,1>2,1, (2 x5355) and an APPLE (ATI Radeon) 5770.

I can’t find a similar KP anywhere else on the web :\ Any suggestions?

The system is corrupted?
Repair Disk Permissions. If not work, do a clean install?

I'm on my third clean install... same problem.  Undecided
yucate

« Reply #529 on: August 02, 2012, 02:55:04 PM »

I am really really pissed. not only that I spent a lot of money since 1999 for Apple. I was also their biggest fan. NOW it all changed. I remember how we were laffin about B. Gates and MICROSOFT. PRobally they are now the ones laffin their asses off that we ( for  years ) financed that MORONS at APPLE. It JUST can not be that my 4 year old MAC PRO can not use the new OS Mountain Lion. Not that I need it BUT who the fuck they think they are. I think all owners deserve to have a FIRMWARE UPGRADE for OUR Computers. We should FINALLY ALL GET TOGETHER and SIGN a PETITION for this issue. XP Windows was on the market for 11 years and than got announced they will no support after April 2014. What ? they can do that and APPLE cant. What a FUKKIN JOKE IS THIS ?

If this petition gets on its way and it really should, I really consider to SUE Apple for compensation ( a new MACPRO ) or to give me back my money for selling me something which is not even worth SHIT now.

I am NOT a Upgrade Junkie or something like that. I am just really pissed of all this global capitalism bullshit. My 2cent...sry..
nullbreached
Not Newbie

« Reply #530 on: August 02, 2012, 03:06:10 PM »

So here’s my dilemma. I keep getting a KP that says “Unable to find a driver for this platform “ACPI”…IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1546″

The system is corrupted?

And you are using the Chameleon process as outlined by Jabbawok? I have the same machine configuration but with a 6870 and am up and running. What build of Chameleon are you using?
chromafile

« Reply #531 on: August 02, 2012, 07:46:22 PM »

The system is corrupted?

Hmm, weird. My MP2.1 has 2 x5355 + Radeon 5770 (Apple), no 3rd party PCIE cards.
If yours is identical, try Chameleon r2030 and my Chameleon extra files.

Chameleon r2030
http://www.mediafire.com/?goljbiulbd2pdsd

* Extra.zip (9.86 KB - downloaded 279 times.)
HaraldSt

« Reply #532 on: August 03, 2012, 10:41:37 PM »

My method on an upgraded 2,1 (8 core 3.0Hhz) with upgraded ATI 4870 (supported under Tiger, still) was as follows:
- Pulled disk, and installed ML on a system supporting ML.
- BOOT partition was created on a disk with Boot Camp, which makes the disk GUID with shadow MBR. It's a non-standard 3 partition layout. Disk utility might let you do this, but I used iPartition.
- JabbaWok style install of Chameleon r2035 with his extras on BOOT, Graphics Enabler set to No, blessed as described
- Doing chflags hidden /Volumes/BOOT hides it under normal use.
First boot was really slow, second a bit faster - most likely the caches.
Still need to fiddle to support default booting by partition name (most likely). With 4 disks, they come up in different order on boot, and the raw disk numbering seems to move around. But I am right now migrating from Lion, which will take HOURS. This will happen later.
The ML disk is the original Apple Mac Pro 750. Once this has proven stable, I will eventually move more stuff around, and minimize the Snow Leopard and Lion partitions. Then upgrade the Lion disk to ML on another system, and replace the 750GB with an SSD mirroring system, applications, and some caches. Legacy systems are actually on a firewire drive (I have running systems starting with Tiger.)

The SSD makes a huge difference, but it died and is out for RMA...
HaraldSt

« Reply #533 on: August 04, 2012, 03:32:06 AM »

My method on an upgraded 2,1 (8 core 3.0Hhz) with upgraded ATI 4870 (supported under Tiger, still) was as follows:
- Pulled disk, and installed ML on a system supporting ML.
- BOOT partition was created on a disk with Boot Camp, which makes the disk GUID with shadow MBR. It's a non-standard 3 partition layout. Disk utility might let you do this, but I used iPartition.
- JabbaWok style install of Chameleon r2035 with his extras on BOOT, Graphics Enabler set to No, blessed as described
- Doing chflags hidden /Volumes/BOOT hides it under normal use.
First boot was really slow, second a bit faster - most likely the caches.
Still need to fiddle to support default booting by partition name (most likely). With 4 disks, they come up in different order on boot, and the raw disk numbering seems to move around. But I am right now migrating from Lion, which will take HOURS. This will happen later.
The ML disk is the original Apple Mac Pro 750. Once this has proven stable, I will eventually move more stuff around, and minimize the Snow Leopard and Lion partitions. Then upgrade the Lion disk to ML on another system, and replace the 750GB with an SSD mirroring system, applications, and some caches. Legacy systems are actually on a firewire drive (I have running systems starting with Tiger.)

The SSD makes a huge difference, but it died and is out for RMA...

This is working well, but the system description is not working. In "About this Mac" it is labelled an iMac, Summer 2001, with the wrong video (right family), no serial (SOMESRLNMBR). I have looked at the plist entries on the web, but did not find ones that fixed this. Any ideas?
fbriatto2
Not Newbie

« Reply #534 on: August 04, 2012, 03:42:21 AM »

Thanks to

- jabbawoks method,  => see http://www.jabbawok.net/
- chromafile => see pg. 36
Chameleon r2030 : http://www.mediafire.com/?goljbiulbd2pdsd
chroma's Extra.zip (9.86 KB - downloaded 3 times.)
- Rominator with the idea of removing the geforce kexts to adress the 7300 boot screen graphics card, (see around pg 21 or 22)

i finally upgraded directly from SnowLeopard to MountainLion,  the following config working without too much hassle.

MacPro1.1 2.66 Ghz, upgraded to MacPro2.1, 3 Ghz 8-core processing (2x 5365/8MB Cache, beasts !), 16 GB RAM (by 8x2 GB),
Apple GeForce 7300GT, AMD RADEON HD 6870 graphics, CalDigit USB3 Adapter, 2x SSDs (one OCZ, one OWC) etc.

Chameleon r2030 / MBR BOOT
OS X 10.8 (12A269) / Darwin 12.0.0

I have never moved/removed any memory / disk or graphics card during the install process. The only problem was after
install, i got systematic KPs before i moved the two GeForce.kext files (one from Library/Extensions, the other from System/Library/Extensions)
 to a backup folder. After that, the 7300GT still gives me the boot screen and a decent 1280x1024 VGA secondary monitor besides my
main one (connected to the ATI 6870, 1920x1200).

Tested many apps, updated parralels 7, little snitch and some others, never got a panic so far. sound works flawlessly so far as well as portal, and aperture (under snow leopard, with the same setup i had some discrepancies while editing under aperture, now it's all perfect).

Will continue more systematic testing tomorrow and give some feedback if I feel it interesting. Soooo happy !.

Hope this will help to keep you happy with your MacPro 1.1 ! until Greedy Apple brings a "decent" upgrade with Thunderbolt and all...the latest
bells and whistles.

Best.

HaraldSt

« Reply #535 on: August 04, 2012, 03:54:48 AM »

Can somebody explain what kind of serial number should we put here and where more exactly?
Sorry...just want to make sure before proceed

The actual serial number can't be extracted from the system, so you can put your serial number in by editing this in the smbios.plist file:

<key>SMserial</key>
        <string>G666666PUPZ</string>

Thanks  Wink
Where is this file supposed to be located? It does not seem to get picked up from /Volumes/BOOT
HaraldSt

« Reply #536 on: August 04, 2012, 04:32:24 AM »

Where is this file supposed to be located? It does not seem to get picked up from /Volumes/BOOT
Ok, Extras folder - guess, I should reread the doc...
HaraldSt

« Reply #537 on: August 04, 2012, 06:53:30 PM »

Ok, Extras folder - guess, I should reread the doc...
All working like a charm.
With BootCamp and CC Cloner, it might be possible to create a single disk with ML and BOOT. I suspect, the Recovery partition is not really usable anyway.
Rominator

« Reply #538 on: August 04, 2012, 09:19:43 PM »

I am very curious about the front page 1,1 "fix" that patches boot.efi.

SOme say 4GB max, another says 8. Would be great to find out absolute max and if it is a multiple of 4

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
fbriatto2
Not Newbie

« Reply #539 on: August 05, 2012, 01:53:13 AM »

I don really understand the question. Running Macpro 2.1 with 16GB, no hassle. (8x2GB).

I am very curious about the front page 1,1 "fix" that patches boot.efi.

SOme say 4GB max, another says 8. Would be great to find out absolute max and if it is a multiple of 4

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: